No more PK wars - Wars should be serious/last resort

KFN

2 minutes ago, BabyBee said:

Wild how most of the people agreeing with this don't even do illegal RP.. stop trying to take everything away from illegal RP'ers and focus on the legal side of RP, PLEAAAASE.

Crazy how these top notch pk wars effect everyone tho...

1 minute ago, Voh said:

Back onto this then. I’m all for culling the bad eggs who don’t value their lives etc etc. However, I’m a faction leader for an illegal faction, the issue we’ve ran into is a much larger faction immediately pushed onto us and tried to push us out. This resulted in a war.

The much larger faction had ARs, armed to the teeth and could’ve wiped us in one go. What does that do? It kills my faction, within a week. With little we could do, because everyone gets CK’d, some maybe not even wanting to play anymore.

That doesn’t seem fair. It’s very easy to bait a faction into a war, and cause conflict. The illegal scene, as small as it is now, would surely die out.

This seems like an issue that shouldn't of resulted in a war at all. Yes I understand that being in someone's area may cause tensions however smaller groups should probably not so much be integrated into the opposing faction in their area but may have to make some concessions to them to avoid conflict.

I'm well aware this suggestion isn't perfect hence I'm open to other views, the main goal of this suggestion was to hopefully spark some form of debate internally about how PK war reform (I'm well aware they'll never be removed no matter how hard one tries).

Just now, peasoup said:

The problem is that the people who are just here for the DM? Won't be affected. They'll namechange and make a new nearly identical character and go on to do the exact same thing. The only people negatively affected will be good RPers.

Sure, most PK wars are petty nonsense full of non-fear RP and terrible portrayal, but this won't fix that.

this. people who aren't in illegal factions to shoot will be affected by it too... while others will have a lot of fun, before name changing 

6 minutes ago, peasoup said:

The problem is that the people who are just here for the DM? Won't be affected. They'll namechange and make a new nearly identical character and go on to do the exact same thing. The only people negatively affected will be good RPers.

Sure, most PK wars are petty nonsense full of non-fear RP and terrible portrayal, but this won't fix that.

My friend I'm totally aware of the top issue which is why I suggested something towards the end to atleast try and combat these sort of characters.

HOWEVER it isn't perfect and is something that someone with atleast 6 more braincells than what I have would have to think about before I do.

8 minutes ago, BabyBee said:

Wild how most of the people agreeing with this don't even do illegal RP.. stop trying to take everything away from illegal RP'ers and focus on the legal side of RP, PLEAAAASE.

My friend, I am a illegal rper and have been the last 8 years I want nothing more but for more illegal stuff and such. However please just say -1 and move on if you aren't going to add anything meaningful.

Goes to people on the +1 side too, thanks please, cheers 

7 minutes ago, Timzii said:

Crazy how these top notch pk wars effect everyone tho...

As it stands, PK wars are where roleplay goes to die. The only thing anyone gets out of them at the end of the day is OOC bragging rights. They're petty, low stakes, and predictable. Most of the time they end with an IFM resolution that functionally puts everything back to where it was before.

CK wars should be the norm on this server. One of the biggest reasons they're not is because it would disrupt the natural order of many organizations. Factions will most definitely suffer when their key characters are dropping like flies.

The other reason we don't have CK wars as the norm on this server, is because they're hard work to manage and follow. IFM would have to make sure DM characters who exist only to participate aren't involved. They would have to vet or outright exclude mercenary characters. They have to ensure previously killed members aren't rejoining the conflict on alt characters. They'd have to mediate with the side that inevitably loses and takes it personally. CK wars are messy because there's so much on the table for either party to gain, or lose.

With all that said, I still believe CK wars would create a more interesting playing field among factions, and higher stakes roleplay overall. CK wars being normalized will help encourage slower, more cautious escalation between organizations. You'll play a little different around rival organizations if you know there's a chance they can cut you off at the knee, if not just wipe you out entirely. Not to mention, the only way a faction can really die off at the moment is if it's members get tired of the concept and lay it to rest. There's virtually no risk of police indictment that has any meaningful impact on the factions longevity, or of rival organizations dismantling you, ect. CK wars would help shake things up and keep them interesting...

Which, compacted with everything else I've mentioned above, is exactly why I don't think we'll see many more CK wars than we already do. As it stands, GTAW seems to have an unofficial policy to maintain the current dichotomy between factions, in order to maintain stability. I say this, because every previous suggestion that could marginally disrupt the status quo within the legal, and illegal RP communities is shut down without a second glance. RICO was put down like old yeller. The financial update that would introduce the IRS and money laundering was delivered without either. The unanimously passed legalization of Marijuana was shot, dumped, and buried because it would "negatively impact the illegal community". I hope I'm wrong about this, but the cynical part of my brain, won't let me believe this suggestion will fare much better than those.

With all that said, +1. I deeply support this suggestion.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Those who advocate for CK wars between illegal factions should also accept the fact that their own characters (including cops and bystanders) who get shot or die as a result of a faction attack should CK as well, if this is all happening with role-play in mind.

Also, considering that realism and fun is kept in mind here, it would be great if illegal role-players were able to perform robberies in high class areas without everyone carrying a weapon, considering that the state we portray (California) only has 0.2 percentage in CCW holders. 8/10 times you attempt to rob someone, they'll have a licensed weapon. This may seem off topic, but you have to consider the consequences for everyone when a suggestion like this is made, in order to maintain a proper balance on the server.

While some of you may consider a suggestion like this OK, you also have to consider that there needs to be a fine balance in the community, therefore if this was to be implemented more changes would have to be made. I'd suggest cracking down on individual faction quality, rather than rules.

Edited by Benavides
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, Benavides said:

Those who advocate for CK wars between illegal factions should also accept the fact that their own characters (including cops and bystanders) who get shot or die as a result of a faction attack should CK as well.

As one of those who advocates for CK wars, I agree with this as well. I think CKs should be far more common for illegal RPers, police, and civilians who actively put themselves in danger.

Edited by Fancy Toothpaste
4 minutes ago, Benavides said:

Those who advocate for CK wars between illegal factions should also accept the fact that their own characters (including cops and bystanders) who get shot or die as a result of a faction attack should CK as well, if this is all happening with role-play in mind.

Also, considering that realism and fun is kept in mind here, it would be great if illegal role-players were able to perform robberies in high class areas without everyone carrying a weapon, considering that the state we portray (California) only has 0.2 percentage in CCW holders. 8/10 times you attempt to rob someone, they'll have a licensed weapon. This may seem off topic, but you have to consider the consequences for everyone when a suggestion like this is made, in order to maintain a proper balance on the server.

While some of you may consider a suggestion like this OK, you also have to consider that there's needs to be a fine balance in the community, therefore if this was to be implemented more changes would have to be made. I'd suggest cracking down on individual faction quality, rather than rules.

Hello my friend,

These are other issues that I fell as though need addressing but I won't do that here because I haven't thought about them enough.

As for the fact that other balances etc will need to be made I am fully aware, however the way I see it the balance is already broken. Overall I know for a fact that this suggestion won't actually remove PK wars from the server however I am hoping it atleast pushes some form of reform for them.