Defined Poor Escalation as a proper rule/violent character potrayal

On 6/27/2022 at 12:36 PM, TX said:

I think it depends on the context. If you go into a hood and see a group of gang members, then you approach them and insult them, I think it's pretty obvious that you would get seriously hurt to say the least. Look at video of people posting pranks online in the hood, etc. A simple joke is already prompting aggression. I think it goes both ways too, poor behavior on the initiating party for insulting in such situation that would very likely result in them getting hurt, as well as from the other party for escalating such conflict. 

Well of course in that sense you are asking for it. But I've seen people drive past my character, insult them and laugh. My character responds back and they get outta the car to start a fight like....... really?

You really wanna step out into traffick to beat someone half to death over words.

Edited by Orpheus49
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 5:58 PM, Solsroyce said:

e: I think your suggestion cq. getting a definition of what exactly is considered poor escalation makes it easier to enforce for admins, easier for victims to ring the bell and easier to reflect on your own roleplay and whether you're doing that when walking into a grey-area situation. It's genuinely helpful.

Gonna be bringing this topic back into light. I originally suggested this as to give more definition as to the desired culture of the server

Poor Escalation should be outlined to give a better idea to the base what they should do to provide a good experience

We have a guide on robberies, why not one for conflicts?

• 1 month later...

Yeah. Not sure how this adds to the topic, I'll share my story anyways. There was a rude woman in a bar, I, (I and me referring to my character.) bug her about it. She insults me (my character)  and I throw liquid soda at her. She slips on a pair of knuckles and starts punching while wearing high heels. I pull out my own blade and cut her up a few times. 

I felt like the situation would've gone better if there wasn't any weapons involved, but sadly that's how it went.

I think people want to protect their pride or ego so they don't feel like they're a bitch or something. If there's any confrontation about their escalation, they'll start giving you a paragraph of their character's backstory on how they grew up tough or something like that, they don't consider the consequences or any logistics of attacking some junkie over a few words.

Edited by JHP
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, JHP said:

I think people want to protect their pride or ego so they don't feel like they're a bitch or something. If there's any confrontation about their escalation, they'll start giving you a paragraph of their character's backstory on how they grew up tough or something like that, they don't consider the consequences or any logistics of attacking some junkie over a few words.

IMO from what I've seen looking at how players interact OOCly and ICly, it's more of the emotion of the players behind the characters. A lot of players that I interacted OOCly with gives vibes of "thug" or "Chad" that act like they are strong and above all (?). Then they start to MG to find a way to win situations or mock the other players OOCly for different opinions (for giggle and laugh). This is happening all over the place and most of players (if not everyone) seems okay with it and acted like it's normal.

I feel like I'm too old for GTAW lmao.

I'm 100% believe poor escalation will always happen forever in GTAW and no one can stop it. I doubt a bunch of rules can prevent or even reduce it.

Background stories are overrated.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, varthshenon said:

IMO from what I've seen looking at how players interact OOCly and ICly, it's more of the emotion of the players behind the characters. A lot of players that I interacted OOCly with gives vibes of "thug" or "Chad" that act like they are strong and above all (?). Then they start to MG to find a way to win situations or mock the other players OOCly for different opinions (for giggle and laugh). This is happening all over the place and most of players (if not everyone) seems okay with it and acted like it's normal.

I feel like I'm too old for GTAW lmao.

I'm 100% believe poor escalation will always happen forever in GTAW and no one can stop it. I doubt a bunch of rules can prevent or even reduce it. Could it be boredom or insecurity, either way it makes the game less fun when you have a whole war cause two players disagree with each other. 

Yeah, things just escalate to the almost impossible and lack of common sense more often than none I noticed. I can take an L if I lose a fade, but people stay provoking OOC'ly and want more out of nothing.  It could be insecurity or boredom, but it makes the game less fun if you're going to war over a disagreement.

Edited by Muerta
24 minutes ago, JHP said:

I think they add flavor to a character and fleshes them out a little bit.

3 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Background stories are part of roleplaying. They define who your character is.

True. I fully agree. But what's the character doing in the server (char development) is way more important. Having an ex-military fighter on their backstory while the character never trains themself after they got created and just go club to club, flirt and pick up, taunt here and there, but somehow can still fight and have the same muscles and skills as they used to. I know there are characters like this 😄

1 minute ago, varthshenon said:

True. I fully agree. But what's the character doing in the server (char development) is way more important. Having an ex-military fighter on their backstory while the character never trains themself after they got created and just go club to club, flirt and pick up, taunt here and there, but somehow can still fight and have the same muscles and skills as they used to. I know there are characters like this 😄

That's where the path forks actually. Because what I roleplay and do on the server, is not development. I roleplay daily life of a person. For me char development is what happens when I am creating one.