Using real life brand/model names in-game

Aquila

4 minutes ago, Pascal said:

As for your spoiler, here's another Mustaang that isn't an older model:

Hmm the Charger still looks more like the Buffalo S. But again: the mere fact we're having this conversation just goes to show why Aquila's right on the money ^^'

The solutions we seem to have are: 

A) Use an RL model even though there is an in-game equivalent, thus leading to confusion and unnecessary discussions/debates about which is which or

B) Just use the goddamn existing in-game model and be done with it, with 0 loss in RP complexity and depth. :p 

Edited by Topinambour
  • Upvote 2

Vehicles should remain lore-friendly as they're properly fleshed out and rather in-depth in the universe of San Andreas. As nothing else in the universe is as fleshed out as vehicles, they're up to debate and I suppose can be either-or.

Guns should, ideally, be real models due to the bland nature of weapon naming. Pistol, Combat Pistol, SMG, Assault Rifle, Carbine Rifle, Pump-Action Shotgun. It's bland. Unhelpful. These aren't the only guns in existance. Use real life models. H&K, Colt, Glock, FN Herstal. So on. 

But everything else, I'm unsure of.

Edited by Marksman
1 hour ago, Topinambour said:

Hmm the Charger still looks more like the Buffalo S.

Regardless of which you think is 'closer' - they both share similarities. If people wish to roleplay a car as being something else of similar design, that is completely up to their discretion, within reason.

1 hour ago, Topinambour said:

Use an RL model even though there is an in-game equivalent, thus leading to confusion and unnecessary discussions/debates about which is which or

Confusion can be entirely avoided by players not immediately assuming how something appears. Here's an example, you might be shot in game, someone comes round the corner and sees you. Until you use RP commands to inform them you've been shot, they don't have the information you've been shot. If the other player assumes you're perfectly fine just because your player model may look fine it would be a mistake, just like walking up to someone in an animation with a Logger beer prop and saying "Hey, nice Logger!" when it's RPly Heineken would be. What we take away from this is: convey what's happening, convey the items you're RPing. It's the responsibility of both the person possessing something to put it across, and the person interacting to question what something is. 

Edited by Pascal

Cars aren't the only ones to be omnipresent within the game though =/ 

400px-GTAVLoggerLightTruck.pngLoggerbeerdeepbillboard.jpglatest?cb=20160811154817latest?cb=20150123144554latest?cb=20150129051049latest?cb=20150216120539latest?cb=20150217194153Loggerbeergtav.jpg

There are many, MANY brands with similar presence within the game, for alcohol, for consumer products, ... =/ 

Once more: if a product has no real equivalent within the game it's cool. If your char's a cool dude who only drinks stuff from micro-breweries in Montana then heh, why not, there's no in-game equivalent. But if there is... then eh =/ 

Problem is, it's not Ford, it's not Dodge, it's Buffalo. Someone can RP it as Ford, others RP as Dodge while it's neither of them. As Rumb said, Buffalo is there, there's a logo, there's a name, everything is In game, so why the hell would someone not so smart suddenly RP it as a Dodge? If someone came up to me in a Buffalo and they named it Dodge, I'd act like they are an idiot and Dodge is not a thing.

As far as smaller brands go, such as food, drinks, cigarettes etc, I'd also support only having GTA brands. I sell alcohol and I get annoyed when people come to my store and ask for Corona. I don't sell such thing, even though item is called ''Beer'' so we can RP anything. Some people choose to sell Heineken, even though it's not a real brand IG.

I hate the fact that people mix everything up, there should either be LS and Buffalos or LA and Dodges. Obviously since we are given a gigantic universe full of cars, brands, cities, street names, everything, we should stick to it and not randomly use RL brands. If we are given Buffalo, it's Buffalo, calling it Dodge is nonsense.

Edited by Lance
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Pascal said:

This has nothing to do with Heavy RP. Heavy RP revolves around the depth and quality of character design and effort they put into their roleplay. 

Because you're not allowed to claim you are the celebrity, as in, possess the name, be the owner of it. The same applies to ownership of manufacturer companies, it would be unreasonable to suggest you're the owner of a big real world company. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging real world artist's music - which also exists on GTA V's radio stations. Which brings me to the next point - where do you draw the line? The answer is, you can't. It's a grey area. If you enjoy a song in the GTA V radio station, where does the rest of the album exist in the GTA V universe? It doesn't, simply because "it isn't in the game", and limiting people to not being able to roleplay it is unreasonable. XM radios also introduce real world content into the game. You can't police that.

People need to understand that just because we use GTA V, does not mean we intend to be focused in the "GTA Universe". Look to the Heavy RP servers in the past: LSRP specifically is a good one - they used SA's LS as a staging ground for RP, but acknowledged real world brands, cars, music and such. The same should apply here, we simply use V's LS as our location to RP in, and don't force ourselves into GTA's universe with ridiculous lore like an American-Australian war and action movie style/dramatised gangs that aren't as realistic or well-thought out as our factions are.

Let's say I'm wearing a white shirt, why cannot I roleplay it being a polo shirt with a specific design, simply because it is not provided by the game? It is perfectly fine to roleplay something being different than it appears in game - WITHIN REASON. If I'm RPing my white shirt is a bulldozer costume, it's unrealistic, just like roleplaying a Buffalo is a Ferrari as you mentioned. However, you can reason the Buffalo is a Mustaang, because it has similar design, and we are not limited to what GTA provides us. 

The concept of roleplay is to adapt to your surroundings and base your character's reactions on said surroundings. It's easy to identify between a good roleplayer who understand what they're talking about or what they're doing from someone who is literally replicating something they saw on TV, bit by bit. I could watch a film and replicate the names of cars, the companies, names, locations, everything. Or I could create a scenario that's genuine, with resources that are available to me, in addition to my knowledge of these resources. Point I'm trying to make is that you can tell who's a good roleplayer based on what they know about the game they're playing on, instead of acknowledging poor roleplay from someone who can't adapt to their surroundings and act accordingly.

5 hours ago, PandaGaming said:

Not supporting. If you choose just RP it as a real model, and if not then not. I prefer the current way.

This post made absolutely no sense.

5 hours ago, Marksman said:

Vehicles should remain lore-friendly as they're properly fleshed out and rather in-depth in the universe of San Andreas. As nothing else in the universe is as fleshed out as vehicles, they're up to debate and I suppose can be either-or.

Guns should, ideally, be real models due to the bland nature of weapon naming. Pistol, Combat Pistol, SMG, Assault Rifle, Carbine Rifle, Pump-Action Shotgun. It's bland. Unhelpful. These aren't the only guns in existance. Use real life models. H&K, Colt, Glock, FN Herstal. So on. 

But everything else, I'm unsure of.

Gun brands exist, like Hawk & Little, Coil (also car manufacturer) and Shrewsbury, though I recently found out that Power Metal and Vom Feuer are also gun manufacturers. Most people call guns by nicknames or alternate names anyway, so it doesn't matter. The performances of the guns differ to real life though if I'm not mistaken.

5 hours ago, Topinambour said:

Cars aren't the only ones to be omnipresent within the game though =/ 

Reveal hidden contents

400px-GTAVLoggerLightTruck.pngLoggerbeerdeepbillboard.jpglatest?cb=20160811154817latest?cb=20150123144554latest?cb=20150129051049latest?cb=20150216120539latest?cb=20150217194153Loggerbeergtav.jpg

There are many, MANY brands with similar presence within the game, for alcohol, for consumer products, ... =/ 

Once more: if a product has no real equivalent within the game it's cool. If your char's a cool dude who only drinks stuff from micro-breweries in Montana then heh, why not, there's no in-game equivalent. But if there is... then eh =/ 

Agreed. We have LTDs and Coffee Bean, thus we have no reason to rolepaly STP or Starbucks or whatever.

3 hours ago, Rumbunctious said:

I think the point Topin is trying to get across is that you can bring in RL brands when there is no GTA equivalent - with which I completely agree.

The Buffalo argument above is actually perfect, tbh. When you see a Buffalo in GTA it's not a Mustang or a Charger - it's a Buffalo. The brand on the front of the car, that we all can clearly see, is Bravado, right? Why should we RP that as Ford or Dodge, when it is neither?

I don't care if your char says they have a Mustang or a Charger. But if they point to a Buffalo and say that's a Mustang, or point to Pisswasser and say that's Heineken, that's where the problem is.

From my perspective as a roleplayer and former admin, roleplaying a car for what it's not is powergaming and metagaming. The performance and appearance of cars in GTA V are never completely accurate in terms of replicating their real life influences. 

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Problem is, it's not Ford, it's not Dodge, it's Buffalo. Someone can RP it as Ford, others RP as Dodge while it's neither of them. As Rumb said, Buffalo is there, there's a logo, there's a name, everything is In game, so why the hell would someone not so smart suddenly RP it as a Dodge? If someone came up to me in a Buffalo and they named it Dodge, I'd act like they are an idiot and Dodge is not a thing.

As far as smaller brands go, such as food, drinks, cigarettes etc, I'd also support only having GTA brands. I sell alcohol and I get annoyed when people come to my store and ask for Corona. I don't sell such thing, even though item is called ''Beer'' so we can RP anything. Some people choose to sell Heineken, even though it's not a real brand IG.

I hate the fact that people mix everything up, there should either be LS and Buffalos or LA and Dodges. Obviously since we are given a gigantic univers full of cars, brands, cities, street names, everything, we should stick to it and not randomly use RL brands. If we are given Buffalo, it's Buffalo, calling it Dodge is nonsense.

Like I said above, people who aren't aware of simple things such as their surroundings (e.g. if you're in a bar, you're exposed to a LOT of brands written right in front of you) are not good roleplayers. They replicate what they know or see in real life or on TV, instead of adapting.

It's the same as someone who creates a mafia after watching Godfather or The Sopranos, or a street gang after watching Kidulthood or Straight Outta Compton. We praise genuine roleplay here. We're roleplaying Los Santos, not Los Angeles. The universe in GTA V is different to real life, but the universe in our server is parallel, yet different, to GTA V.

• Upvote 2

I personally don't see how it'll affect your heavy roleplay experience if somebody decides to roleplay their Buffalo as a Mustang. Most people are not so aware of the game brands and most of the server probably neglects those brands, it's a mix of both. I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed to use both in-game brands and real-life brands.

People want to experience a bit of the real life as much as possible, the same way if PD bases themselves off of LAPD which I might be wrong or not, I'm not sure if they do or not. But, the laws also. They're all based on real life, so if you want people to stop using real-life brands you'd have to create a whole new reality in the server. Why would you be able to base yourself off of real-life laws and not real life brands, it's the same idea.

Heavy roleplay doesn't necessarily mean immersing yourself with GTA V's atmosphere and using all of their game brands.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Rheotic said:

I personally don't see how it'll affect your heavy roleplay experience if somebody decides to roleplay their Buffalo as a Mustang. Most people are not so aware of the game brands and most of the server probably neglects those brands, it's a mix of both. I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed to use both in-game brands and real-life brands.

People want to experience a bit of the real life as much as possible, the same way if PD bases themselves off of LAPD which I might be wrong or not, I'm not sure if they do or not. But, the laws also. They're all based on real life, so if you want people to stop using real-life brands you'd have to create a whole new reality in the server. Why would you be able to base yourself off of real-life laws and not real life brands, it's the same idea.

Heavy roleplay doesn't necessarily mean immersing yourself with GTA V's atmosphere and using all of their game brands.

You think it's Mustang. Someone else comes in commenting on your nice Dodge. Another guy comes saying it's a Buffalo. Mixing everything up is just confusing. Also I don't think laws fall into this category.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Lance said:

You think it's Mustang. Someone else comes in commenting on your nice Dodge. Another guy comes saying it's a Buffalo. Mixing everything up is just confusing. Also I don't think laws fall into this category.

Why shouldn't laws fall into that category? If you're already going to the extent of literally not using a cigarette's brand, why would you use real-life laws? Everything that is involved with real-life shouldn't be used if it's that way then. Also just proved how silly it is to even suggest such thing, I don't see how it'll affect anybody's roleplay if somebody asks for a Corona or roleplays a Marlboro cigarette...

Edited by Rheotic