Cinema Update

Jain

Detailed Description

Currently the cinema script is kind of dated, it was first deployed July 4, 2018 (post here) and while it is a very unique script with a lot of potential that is tapped by certain dedicated players - it could be better to reach a wider audience and enhance the quality of this scripted feature.

Particularly my idea is that the scripted theatre window is updated to the new CEF stuff so that it can be dragged/resized. Currently it's a stationary window that seems to have a specific size for the video, despite videos often meeting great size values than the current window. For example, here's me watching the new James Bond movie in Doppler. Likewise it goes right over your chat so you often can't see what people are saying without use of the /chatsize command.

beec3273e0.jpg

c.jpg

Relevant Commands/Items

Nothing new as far as I can tell, I'm not a cinema operator. I'd say @Rafiki is the person to ask for their input as far as specific optimizations, Doppler Cinema is one of my favorite businesses.

How will it benefit the server?

More business and interest for one of the most underrated features in our server. Plus I'll greatly enjoy being able to watch a movie on a screen that isn't meant for ants.

Edited by Jain

Script is dodgy as hell lol and in the past when its been messed with its been very difficult getting through to someone who will revert whatever changes spawned bugs. So i would be both excited and nervous for any sort of update. But I also am not too sure its easy / possible to edit and tweak the script we have as its never been worked on or tweaked before in terms of the code. Im no dev so could be completely wrong but i feel like devs wouldve played with the script / worked on it before if it was possible for the current devs. A lot of people ask for a cinema script for their homes, so im sure the staff mustve thought about playing with the script before and perhaps discussed it. However that suggestion in particular with the bugs we currently have would destroy the cinema script with teleportation bugs if we allowed every house to have one for their home tv.

With that said this is a common question i get, how to full screen the video in game and at the moment it isnt possible. Unless you open it out of game in a browser and i dont like giving the link out to strangers as our site got attacked last year.

You in particular are most likely having issues with the chat box because of your resolution or size of your monitor. That doesnt help because other than maybe playing with your in game resolution I dont think you can fix it. Not many players have their chat box obstructed by the screen but in the past a few have had this same issue (enough people for me to remember the issue) and this issue is usually because they have an uncommon sized monitor either small or some giant tv not really something they can change. I doubt this is your issue but one person was running a resolution for gta way smaller than their monitor. 

Years ago we had an entirely different script that worked a bit more like you said. A cef box would overlay on your screen and i think you could resize or perhaps maybe fullscreen it.

At the moment when you press Y on the script you enter a new interior and the video shows up on the cinema screen. 

The old script didnt enter you into a new interior it just popped up a cef (dont for sure know what cef is LOL take my terms with a pinch of salt) box with the video in. To be honest though this box obstructed most the screen and everyone would mention how cool it would be if the movie actually showed on the cinema screen. 

I think for our recurring customers the script we have currently is easier to watch and rp at the same time, i remember the old script obstructing a lot of the screen with a browser style overlay over the top of your game screen. It took up pretty much the entire right half of the screen. 

These scripts are two entirelly different ones too, so i guess its one or the other.

Also I am honored to be on your thoughts but the cinema script isnt really used anywhere but the Doppler so while I would support any improvements to my script! I do respect the staff / devs most likely have many things on their priority list that'll always be above improving a script that effects 1 business 

Edit.

Looking at your screenshot it must have something to do with the resolution / size of the monitor youre running. The screen is a different size and the video shows up super small in the middle, the video at least for me and others fills up more of the cinema screen

Edited by Rafiki
  • 4 months later...

I'm not sure how it streams currently, but the ability for syncing between users (so if player A is watching from the start, 20 mins later, player B arrives, it starts from 00:20:00 rather than 00:00:00) - that'd be awesome, as currently it's very disjointed for those joining the cinema shortly after starting. It'd also be great to be able to sync it as the host for everyone, or attempt to re-sync.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Bumping this after my first time in the cinema.

Few bugs 

1. It moves your character entirely to a different part of the theater than where you were sitting with friends to RP with during the movie

2. Leaving the movie and attempting to rejoin will bug and you will be entirely shit out of luck for trying to rejoin. You'll need the link to the movie and then it'll still not play at the same time as everyone else.

3. Movie syncing in general is no bueno

Ideas to maybe help? Idk I'm not a dev, sorry. 

1. Have a host that can resync everyone similar to reloading furniture in a house. Pause, play, veto

.2. have a hint come up in chat with the url to the current playing video and instructions that you can do /cinemahelp or something

3. Completely redo script(I know, super helpful)

4. Maybe change pressing Y to a cmd that freezes your character in place THEN triggers the camera position. Not sure if someone like that is possible in Rage. If not then possible to create a positional node that works more like relay to your chat. Instead of your ped being frozen in place

The cinema is a very very very very welcome feature to all characters. It just needs to not be fricked to heck and back.i feel like everyone goes to look but doesn't come back because of the bad experience.

Edited by Dwevin
  • Upvote 2
On 7/22/2023 at 12:49 AM, Dwevin said:

Bumping this after my first time in the cinema.

Few bugs 

1. It moves your character entirely to a different part of the theater than where you were sitting with friends to RP with during the movie

2. Leaving the movie and attempting to rejoin will bug and you will be entirely shit out of luck for trying to rejoin. You'll need the link to the movie and then it'll still not play at the same time as everyone else.

3. Movie syncing in general is no bueno

Ideas to maybe help? Idk I'm not a dev, sorry. 

1. Have a host that can resync everyone similar to reloading furniture in a house. Pause, play, veto

.2. have a hint come up in chat with the url to the current playing video and instructions that you can do /cinemahelp or something

3. Completely redo script(I know, super helpful)

4. Maybe change pressing Y to a cmd that freezes your character in place THEN triggers the camera position. Not sure if someone like that is possible in Rage. If not then possible to create a positional node that works more like relay to your chat. Instead of your ped being frozen in place

The cinema is a very very very very welcome feature to all characters. It just needs to not be fricked to heck and back.i feel like everyone goes to look but doesn't come back because of the bad experience.

Hello there! I currently run a cinema in-game and I really like the ideas that you mentioned. The bugs #2 and #3 that you mentioned are something that I had made a bug report on a few weeks ago and we were told that currently, the existing cinema script is a legacy script and something better is going to be replaced eventually. You can check that out here below:

As for the seating it has always been sort of that way in regards to being teleported to the other side with every cinema that I have visited in-game, There was a trick that could be used to make your character move around but I forgot how that was done. I hope that in the future players will be able to choose where they want to sit together and surely it might keep people wanting to stay the entire time for the movies too! 

• Thanks 1