Punchwhoring in serious roleplay

Rensai

22 hours ago, Topinambour said:

And we would then end up with an 80 pounds 5'3 character who rolls 75 against a 7'1 10-year boxing world champion who rolls a 65. Roll is... really the bane of RP servers, I would really not go there =/ 

Though punchwhoring isn't any better, to be entirely honest. Ideally it would/should be solved through IC and OOC discussion, but it makes things more complicated with people who only "play to win". Not sure about a solution, tbh. 

I agree, rolling is just as bad if not worse than punchwhoring. Of course, if people are really abusing their emoting power then you can always call an admin, as they could potentially be powergaming. There are ways for a much smaller person to win over a much bigger, muscular person, but it requires specific techniques and training. In a boxing match? It's gonna be a one-hit KO!

Just a vouch for successful rolling and fights.

In the past, I've used a round robin type of system.

Player 1 does their emote of their action and /rolls 1 10.  1-5 is advantage to Player 1.  6-10 is advantage to Player 2

Player 2 then does their emote and script punches Player 1, then /rolls 1 10. Same as before, 1-5 is advantage to Player 1, 6-10 is advantage to Player 2.

Rinse and repeat until one Player is down (hopefully injured and not dead)

It gives each person a 50% chance.  In the situations where Player 1 has a physical advantage over Player 2, Player 1 would take advantage with 1-7 instead of 1-5.

Edited by DaHes
  • 6 months later...

Even though there's no rules against punching other characters scriptwise, it is common sense that such behavior would be considered either Powergaming or pure Deathmatching. Players are expected to produce a high level of roleplay before engaging into a fist fight with others, and in most cases punching somebody via the script would not be needed at all in order to settle such one-on-one fights in-game.

With that being said it would not be fair to utterly remove / forbid script-punching due to the fact it is a fair way of settling brawls between multiple characters. For instance, gang brawls and fights are a thing, and expecting numerous players to roleplay every punch and kick simultaneously is not reasonable.

There might be room for some improvement on that sector. Staff's feedback would be highly appreciated here.

You could make the same argument about scripted weapons - that they rely on OOC skill rather than IC skill, whoever shoots first is always going to win, and that everyone is going to portray themselves as a highly trained combatant. Honestly, you're taught in weapons training courses that if an assailant is within 20 feet of you when you draw your weapon, you're likely not going to be able to fire before they strike you.

In all likelihood, they'll be able to kill you before you draw - so if someone emotes producing a weapon and attempting to fire, does that make me a bad person for using my melee weapon to beat the ever living hell out of them when I've already emoted my threatening intentions? I'd contend not. The aggressor tends to win in these sorts of situations, and let's not forget that there's a mechanic by which you can dodge and counterattack in melee. Don't forget how to use it.

A better defined guideline for engagements (whether unarmed, melee vs firearm, or gun v gun) would be appreciated, of course.

Edited by Smilesville

As I have always played it, you use descriptive /me's for actions and responses and /do for counters, if both parties agree to a slugfest, then you can use the ingame mechanic for fist fighting. But only when both parties agree that it will determine whatever outcome.

21 hours ago, Duff said:

if both parties agree to a slugfest, then you can use the ingame mechanic for fist fighting. But only when both parties agree that it will determine whatever outcome. 

But again, that's like saying "only if both parties agree, you can use the in-game mechanics to shoot someone." We both know they're going to be firing the moment they indicate through an emote that they're doing so. The same should be true of melee attacks, and I'm honestly fine with that.

• 4 weeks later...

Necroing in process. A very similar thing happened to me about 4-5 months ago, and somehow the staff took the attacker's side. Either way, this is indeed a very real problem that needs more attention than it gets, and needs strict rules about it.

Honestly... Roleplaying a scripted ability, such as throwing punches... Seems a bit silly.... Thats like saying .. /me walks down the street... You can legitimately do both tasks physically within the game... You could add further detail, but in retrospect attempting to circumvent the physical FACT of said mechanics seem more PG'y than anything to me...

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2019 at 3:59 AM, Zane_Field said:

Honestly... Roleplaying a scripted ability, such as throwing punches... Seems a bit silly.... Thats like saying .. /me walks down the street... You can legitimately do both tasks physically within the game... You could add further detail, but in retrospect attempting to circumvent the physical FACT of said mechanics seem more PG'y than anything to me...

The key difference here is that most people are of a pretty equal proficiency in regards to walking down the street. I don't know about you but I think I'm pretty adept at walking down the street, as are most people. Also, walking down the street doesn't have a direct effect on another person's character. Fighting does. People have different levels of proficiency at fighting and that can't be shown by rapidly spamming left click. Take for example I have two characters: 

Evie Summers - Evie is a 23 year old girl who's never really been exposed to harsh and violent things. If she were to be attacked, she'd likely get pasted and knocked out with ease. I've always roleplayed this so if someone was to start spamming punches at me, so long as they cleared it OOC with me first that that's how the RP would go, then I'd be okay with it. She has no real defence. 

Edward Summers - Edward is a 28 year old guy who's been enlisted in the British military from the second he left school. He served multiple tours in Afghanistan with both the 16th Air Assault Brigade and then served for several years in the Special Forces Support Group. By this experience, he'd be pretty adept at defending himself in a 1v1 scenario. So, how is it justifiable that he gets leathered by some random drunk just because the random drunk's player spammed left click first. It makes no IC sense. 

I'm heavily in favour of banning punchwhoring unless both parties agree to it. It's just bad RP.