The issue with interior roleplayers

Aquila

2 hours ago, Maca said:

How is that a cop-out argument? It's a statement that I've tried and tested and it's worked for me and lots of other community members. Either you're refusing to actually give it a try or you haven't found the right people to roleplay with yet. 

I still don't think it's an issue that people roleplay indoors. If they choose to roleplay in an interior, that's up to them and nobody should want or have the ability to dictate that. If roleplay isn't up to the standards that you require whilst being here then make a difference by changing it to suit yourself, people won't change for you just because you don't like how things are done guys!

Also - me being a staff member with an opinion makes no difference. I've said it and I'll say it again, I'm just a community member with the ability to help other players when they need it. I will still contribute to discussions and give my opinion in the most respectful way possible, which is what I'm doing. It may frustrate you that I'm a staff member giving that opinion but I'm speaking from experience. This happened on the last server I was on and people were complaining left, right and centre about 'not being able to find roleplay'. 

If you don't want to be spoon fed, what is it that you do want? You haven't gave any suggestions yet apart from limiting players from roleplaying in interiors because in some people's eyes it's a problem which I believe it's not.

Thank you for bringing some sanity to my post! I think Moonsong is on the right page here.

firstly why do you keep using the term spoonfed

secondly where did i even suggest "limiting players from roleplaying in interiors"

if you're not reading anybody's replies and are just aiming to repeat the same "well it works for me so you're not trying hard enough = D" then i'm not sure what outcome you're expecting from this discussion, you may as well be telling the op that their efforts at discussion are pointless if you're not even remotely willing to acknowledge that there's an issue

or i'd be telling op myself that there's no reason to bother

1 hour ago, Ingram said:

There's an issue of too much drama around. Why do you happy about Mirror Park being dead at first place? I spent most of time there and when I see nobody is there I log out, so perhaps are more and this way the player base lowers. I don't have much time to spend on some depth role play.

also, everything at a time, you can't expect everything to be done that quick, although i'm very disappointed about some small suggestions that were forwarded since half a year ago. That's pretty much it, I care less about player base from past few weeks since i'm quite much lost interests to play

this whole reply is pretty accurate but it trails slightly off topic, i too can name a few minor suggestions that have been forwarded and never added

Edited by shaobadman
2 hours ago, Maca said:

It's a statement that I've tried and tested and it's worked for me and lots of other community members.

Maybe, but we have to agree and understand that in order to create a wide and varied community, we need to realize that not everyone is the same or will have the same experience. I also got lucky and fount a *LOT* of illegal RP in my very first day here, but I will never tell someone "I did it: so if you don't, it means you want to be spoon-fed like a ridiculous pitiful baby and you can't create your own RP". I will simply acknowledge that my finding a lot of RP on day 1 was both me RP'ing but also luck. And I will also acknowledge that luck, being random, isn't something every single new player will necessarily have. 

This is basically the main issue encountered by most RP servers during phase 3: new players need luck to find RP... And RP shouldn't be something you find out of luck, especially on an RP server. It should be something you find, period. It has nothing to do with being spoon fed. If I go to a restaurant and I have to be lucky to find a cook, it means there's a problem with the restaurant, not with the customers :p 

Now of course it's more complicated than a simple service-based thing like a restaurant, since it involves a lot of people with different aspirations. However, a general attitude of "if a new player can't find RP in spite of his best efforts, it means he wants to be spoon-fed and we don't need people like him" can lead to a lot of new player churn (and eventually a playerbase drop). 

It's a mistake many servers have made. I guess we're free to make it too in spite of previous experiences, but it would be a waste =/ 

• Upvote 1

Nobody said that players weren't welcome if they expected to be spoon-fed roleplay. There isn't a problem with the server, players choose to stick to certain groups or areas and sometimes they wish to go inside of interiors to roleplay. I keep mentioning interiors because that's what this thread was originally about too just before someone hops on that. 

The bottom line of it is, if you dislike how things are done (like I've said previously) then all you need to do is make a change to it. Encourage people to roleplay with you, convince people that certain areas would be cool to roleplay in. Without players being aware of where things would be a decent location to roleplay within, you are back at square one of discussing on the forum with no real change. Players may be more comfortable roleplaying with people they know or have already established a relationship with IC.

I know a lot of "Strawberry/Davis" etc comments were thrown around saying people in the area were inactive but I've just been ingame for an hour or so and interacted with 5 - 8 people. I then went into a barber shop and interacted in there. It's extremely silly to say certain areas lack activity because they do have activity, just maybe not at the time you were around. You cannot expect players to be there at your beckon call 24/7 in areas because they have jobs in real life, they have school, etcetera. Some people may not find the time to be in those locations permenantly and choose to make the most of their roleplay at a time that suits them and not yourself.

For the record, I'm not dismissing anybody's opinion. Not sure why people keep throwing that one at me but whatever floats your boat! If me stating what I believe in is dismissing somebody's opinion then I do apologise but that's what opinions are there for. I do not intend to offend anybody by giving my opinion.

EDIT: @shaobadman  - I didn't assume you suggested that by the way. Not sure where you read that from.

Edited by Nervous
5 hours ago, Maca said:

Thank you for bringing some sanity to my post! I think Moonsong is on the right page here.

Not really, because @Moonsong hasn't read the thread.

5 hours ago, Ingram said:

There's an issue of too much drama around. Why do you happy about Mirror Park being dead at first place? I spent most of time there and when I see nobody is there I log out, so perhaps are more and this way the player base lowers. I don't have much time to spend on some depth role play.

also, everything at a time, you can't expect everything to be done that quick, although i'm very disappointed about some small suggestions that were forwarded since half a year ago. That's pretty much it, I care less about player base from past few weeks since i'm quite much lost interests to play

I'm happy because Mirror Park is a terrible location to base the server in. It's a small neighbourhood with nothing close to an attraction. It's not even an incorporated city. It's on the corner of the city, far away from everywhere else that's relevant. It also lacks a PD HQ, FD HQ, a city hall, basic public transport lines, or any hangout spot other than 1 - the plaza.

I do agree that it's disappointing that only a minority of suggestions actually get implemented. I'd rather see small suggestions get implemented regularly rather than big ones every month.

3 hours ago, shaobadman said:

firstly why do you keep using the term spoonfed

secondly where did i even suggest "limiting players from roleplaying in interiors"

if you're not reading anybody's replies and are just aiming to repeat the same "well it works for me so you're not trying hard enough = D" then i'm not sure what outcome you're expecting from this discussion, you may as well be telling the op that their efforts at discussion are pointless if you're not even remotely willing to acknowledge that there's an issue

or i'd be telling op myself that there's no reason to bother

I don't understand why people are dismissing an issue that is most definitely experienced by a large amount of players. I also don't understand why people are not looking at this issue from the perspective of others, and not just their own. 

I've made this thread to discuss, and raise awareness, of the interior RP issue which is quite clearly a plague on the server. By no means am I saying people shouldn't be roleplaying in interiors. I'm just saying that having a negative attitude has led to the death of other RP servers, and people are free to do what they want, but only have themselves to blame when things turn bad.

3 hours ago, Topinambour said:

Maybe, but we have to agree and understand that in order to create a wide and varied community, we need to realize that not everyone is the same or will have the same experience. I also got lucky and fount a *LOT* of illegal RP in my very first day here, but I will never tell someone "I did it: so if you don't, it means you want to be spoon-fed like a ridiculous pitiful baby and you can't create your own RP". I will simply acknowledge that my finding a lot of RP on day 1 was both me RP'ing but also luck. And I will also acknowledge that luck, being random, isn't something every single new player will necessarily have. 

This is basically the main issue encountered by most RP servers during phase 3: new players need luck to find RP... And RP shouldn't be something you find out of luck, especially on an RP server. It should be something you find, period. It has nothing to do with being spoon fed. If I go to a restaurant and I have to be lucky to find a cook, it means there's a problem with the restaurant, not with the customers :p 

Now of course it's more complicated than a simple service-based thing like a restaurant, since it involves a lot of people with different aspirations. However, a general attitude of "if a new player can't find RP in spite of his best efforts, it means he wants to be spoon-fed and we don't need people like him" can lead to a lot of new player churn (and eventually a playerbase drop). 

It's a mistake many servers have made. I guess we're free to make it too in spite of previous experiences, but it would be a waste =/ 

Agreed 100%. Everyone's experiences are different. I am voicing mine, yet people are shutting me out saying "I don't have this problem", and pretending that it isn't an issue. If more than 1 person has an issue with interior RPers, then why dismiss it? It's still a problem that's having an impact on others. Selflessness is a key factor to progression.

1 hour ago, Maca said:

The bottom line of it is, if you dislike how things are done (like I've said previously) then all you need to do is make a change to it.

Well, I'm trying with this thread, but I'm being met with "this isn't an issue" or "I don't have this problem" comments. 

1 hour ago, ThaCrypte said:

Davis is slowly starting to get active. 

Only in short, inconsistent bursts of activity.

6 minutes ago, Aquila said:

I've made this thread to discuss, and raise awareness, of the interior RP issue which is quite clearly a plague on the server. By no means am I saying people shouldn't be roleplaying in interiors. I'm just saying that having a negative attitude has led to the death of other RP servers, and people are free to do what they want, but only have themselves to blame when things turn bad.

this is assuming certain players actually care about the experience of other players, which is clearly not true judging by this thread since the consensus i gather from here is that it's on you to roleplay and if you think everyone's in an interior then you have to formulate some almost impossible plot to congregate everybody (which i've actually tried several times but yields no results)

that's not an option because clearly after opening a discussion on it, the majority disagree with your observation (i can think of 2 reasons why) and you can either deal with it or don't

3 minutes ago, shaobadman said:

this is assuming certain players actually care about the experience of other players, which is clearly not true judging by this thread since the consensus i gather from here is that it's on you to roleplay and if you think everyone's in an interior then you have to formulate some almost impossible plot to congregate everybody (which i've actually tried several times but yields no results)

that's not an option because clearly after opening a discussion on it, the majority disagree with your observation (i can think of 2 reasons why) and you can either deal with it or don't

Regardless, the server should cater to everyone and not just those who don't want to observe a positive, progressive change.

Like I said, it's clearly a problem if I'm not the only one who sees it.

54 minutes ago, Aquila said:

If more than 1 person has an issue with interior RPers, then why dismiss it? It's still a problem that's having an impact on others. Selflessness is a key factor to progression.

Well, I mean... Dismissing the issue entirely is kind of a problem, but I'm sincerely not sure it's simply "interior RP'ers". More of a general way of feeling comfortable and not trying to find more RP. And again, the complexity of the problem stems from that: we all have limited time available, and enough room for so many people to RP with. Even myself, I love to find RP but for the last week... Every single evening, I had to actually tell some people "sorry, can't do it :( " and forgo RP'ing with some people because I had too much other RP shit to do. 

That mindset installs itself quickly, and players in those situations don't necessarily think of going to a plain-sight open hotspot when they're idle. They're like "oh shit I managed to do everything" and they just remain in their home or something like that, while texting people. Texting people is something you could do anywhere, but it doesn't cross people's minds (myself included btw!). It's just a general... like, trying to help people think of that general idea: if you're idle, think of going to that place, it's cool for newbies and you'll find RP there. 

But I really don't think anyone's "malicious" or anything like that, in that whole clique-ing/Interior RP'ing/whatever issue we're discussing here. It's just that people have found their RP, their networks, and don't really think of all that stuff anymore ^^ 

• Upvote 1