The Issue with stealing cars

Kill3rkrok

Its been a while since the ability to steal and chop cars has been in the game. Since that day I've personally noticed that there are some problems surrounding this. DISCLAIMER: what I'm about to type is my opinion, not trying to throw anyone under the bus and yes I do run a garage and do benefit from the ability to steal cars.

1. The hotwire system is based far
too much on the price of the vehicle. This can be seen in cars such as the Hermes. This is based on a 1920s car I believe and costs $93,000. Whereas something along the lines of the Tornado which costs much less is only 2 wires, however, the Tornado is much more modern than the Hermes. To combat this od suggest adding an upgrade which increases how hard it is to hotwire the car. For example, such as we have locks and alarms we could have an immobilizer that can be purchased. With level one add 1 extra wire and level 2 adding two extras.

Its far too quick and easy to chop a car. When chopping a car in real life it takes a good amount of both time and effort. Whereas in the game you are able to quickly steal a car and make it disappear in a second leaving it untraceable by either the player or police department. To counter this I would suggest making chopping the car a timed process, one that maybe takes 5 minutes or so, aswell as making it so that there is a waiting period between when a car is hotwired and when a car can be chopped.

3. Cars can be towed away
with a tow truck. While I agree that this is achievable in real life. I would argue that it is not done well, and instead of people RPing it, they spam out 2 or 3 /mes and then drive off with the car. To combat this I would make it that to tow a vehicle either the owner, or a police officer needs to set the car to towable.

I WOULD LIKE THIS TO BE A DISCUSSION AND SOMETHING EVERYONE CAN GIVE THEIR OPINION ON

Cheers

- Krok

• Upvote 2

About the towing: Other official (legal) factions use towtrucks as well. Think about the Fire Department that handles wrecked vehicles or other purposes when requested. I can't tell yet, but I suspect that the Government will have a Public Utilities unit as well that'll use Towtrucks.

I wouldn't, however, mind it if mechanics and other "civilians" are forced to request it from the owner of the vehicle to tow their car.

2 minutes ago, Airwolf said:

About the towing: Other official (legal) factions use towtrucks as well. Think about the Fire Department that handles wrecked vehicles or other purposes when requested. I can't tell yet, but I suspect that the Government will have a Public Utilities unit as well that'll use Towtrucks.

I wouldn't, however, mind it if mechanics and other "civilians" are forced to request it from the owner of the vehicle to tow their car.

In that case i don't see a reason why the PD and other legal gov factions cant have access to a command that allows them to tow while on duty

I agree there should be a better way to determine the difficulty of the hotwire minigame. Maybe each vehicle should have an upgradable immobiliser like you said. However the maximum amount of wires per row should be 4 in my opinion because any more than that becomes way too difficult.

Combinations with 4 wires per row: 24

Combinations with 5 wires per row: 120

I can't really give feedback for anything else because I am not active in game.

car stealing is so fucced IMO because there's not much or its very hard to get an in between.

you can get the easy end, which results in this:

or you can make it too hard which results in "plz nerf" which goes back to that

i dont think ive ever seen a perfectly implemented hotwiring system. LS-RP was pretty good because not a lot of people bothered to learn how to hotwire but the problem with the system over there was that eventually someone will come along and memorize all the words (me). you could try randomizing and putting in new words from a list or something but even then itll be way 2 hard.

imo there will never be a neutral ground and i will be very surprised if nervous somehow finds a way to make a good system 4 dis

oh & about ur tow thing i rly disagree mang theres a lot of cool rp 2 be done wit takin ppls cars on tow truccs and not everyone spams it. in particular ppl who are more concerned on rp and have no problem evading will actually rp (doranoIS will do like 10 long ass lines)

Point 1 I agree that a good few of the vehicles have a messed up number of wires. Several have been pointed out as being too easy/too hard for what they are and they haven't been changed.

Point 2 is solvable without having to script anything. It's the garage owners responsibility to be roleplaying that process out. 

Point 3 is messed up because the person just tows it fairly instantaneously. Setting it to an owner or a officer is going too far. It should simply require a person being in the vehicle to engage towing or for the vehicle to be unlocked. I'd rather just have it tied to if the towed car is unlocked.