Lengthen Prison Sentences [G]

On 1/15/2021 at 8:01 PM, ayame said:

Supported, criminals on the server run rampant and crime rate in general is incredibly high. Feels like we're in some bizarre criminal wasteland rather than Los Santos. Yes, crime is a big part of the server, however it's very evident that criminals here do not have harsh consequences hardly whatsoever for very serious crimes, while legal roleplayers have to pay dearly if they were to say try and get an extorter out of their lives and business. You even try to defend yourself as a legal RPer and you're gonna end up getting CK'd cause you don't wanna cough up money to "Cleaning companies" for their weekly trips and intimidation stunts. I also feel like roleplaying in prison to decrease your sentence is an unfair excuse and abused clearly as a get out of jail early card by people who wanna go right back to the same nonsense they were doing that got them locked up in the first place. 

The ability people have in forcing the word extortion into every single vaguely criminal related topic this past while is truly impressive. 

On 1/15/2021 at 8:37 PM, Pathway said:

This is simpy untrue, there's 4 active prison factions as of now. I have a prison character and every time i've logged on for that past week i've seen a minimum of 10 people actively rping in prison, on certain days upwards of 20 prisoners. 

Good bro, you can stop stressing it now, because it is lmao.

I'd agree with this, if other game mechanics were changed along with it. For example  if I rob a car at gunpoint and chop said car, the person gets their car back 7 hours later, loses LITERALLY nothing, but I get a prison sentences of a month. Or what if someone provokes me, I end up shooting them, all they have to do is rp injuries for 30 seconds at a hospital, or just respawn at the hospital if they accept death, meanwhile I get months on end of prison time while this person is still casually walking around not affected in any way?

If you think that's fair you're insane. The only way I'd agree with you is if everything else on the server was adjusted to make the lengthened jailtimes fair, because it seems you're cherry picking what you want to be accurate to irl.

fax^

i agree with lengthening prison sentences however other things should be lengthened too and if criminals have to rp the fear of going to prison for 30 days then civilians need to roleplay the fear of having a gun pointed at their head, getting robbed, getting beaten up etc. most if not all civilian roleplayers shrug off a traumatic event straight after it happens so this would be really unfair for criminals. 

1 minute ago, ayame said:

I wonder... Why...

I do too, I really do. The opinions have been made known plenty of times. Multiple admins and staff have given their input. We can work together as a community to improve the RP around extortion, we can both agree there. However, so many criminal RP related topics (like this one) cover a broad expanse of criminal RP, and you guys just cannot keep the E word out of your replies. It serves no purpose in this topic. I have been RPing as a criminal for months, I have not taken part in nor witnessed a single extortion scene IC. Extortion is not the most important topic on this server. Assurances have been made multiple times that CK permissions are not granted simply for refusing to comply with extortion, there is always more to it. Let's discuss OP's topic here instead. 

1 minute ago, Visceral said:

I do too, I really do. The opinions have been made known plenty of times. Multiple admins and staff have given their input. We can work together as a community to improve the RP around extortion, we can both agree there. However, so many criminal RP related topics (like this one) cover a broad expanse of criminal RP, and you guys just cannot keep the E word out of your replies. It serves no purpose in this topic. I have been RPing as a criminal for months, I have not taken part in nor witnessed a single extortion scene IC. Extortion is not the most important topic on this server. Assurances have been made multiple times that CK permissions are not granted simply for refusing to comply with extortion, there is always more to it. Let's discuss OP's topic here instead. 

My use of the word was very clearly used as an example of how lightly prison sentences are handled on the server, and how the system is flawed.

1 minute ago, ayame said:

My use of the word was very clearly used as an example of how lightly prison sentences are handled on the server, and how the system is flawed.

Fair but the crux of the discussion here should be about the lengthening of prison sentences, which has a vast amount of implications and factors. Your comment and that section of OP's post in my opinion is just more white noise. I get it, its a frustrating issue. It cannot possibly be as big of an issue as the very, very vocal players (on both sides) are making it out to be. Does it need to be in every single suggestion and topic? Let's not pretend you had a litany of examples to use to support your opinion and just happened to land on extortion, the chamber was loaded. 

Is there a problem with extortion on this server? I believe you 100% that there is. Is it anywhere near as pressing of an issue as it has seemed on the past few weeks on the forums? I highly, highly doubt it. This is just the latest topical divide between legal and illegal RPers and its extremely tiresome. 

6 minutes ago, Visceral said:

Fair but the crux of the discussion here should be about the lengthening of prison sentences, which has a vast amount of implications and factors. Your comment and that section of OP's post in my opinion is just more white noise. I get it, its a frustrating issue. It cannot possibly be as big of an issue as the very, very vocal players (on both sides) are making it out to be. Does it need to be in every single suggestion and topic? Let's not pretend you had a litany of examples to use to support your opinion and just happened to land on extortion, the chamber was loaded. 

Is there a problem with extortion on this server? I believe you 100% that there is. Is it anywhere near as pressing of an issue as it has seemed on the past few weeks on the forums? I highly, highly doubt it. This is just the latest topical divide between legal and illegal RPers and its extremely tiresome. 

The amount of effort put into your frustration of my brief use of extortion coulda been used to bring up another one of these problems you’re oh so concerned about. Relax. My use of the word doesn’t negate the validity of my comment at all and valid argument and need for change was still expressed.

2 hours ago, Kaz said:

You'll only see more CKs if we had higher sentences. It's still a game when it comes down to it. Repeat offenders accrue criminal points which then eventually lead to a mandatory court case and often a life sentence if murder is on their sheet. It's fine the way it is.

Are we talking about CK's from criminals who can't be bothered to serve out the sentence, or that they come out of jail looking to CK someone else? I really don't have an issue with the former; if the only way to avoid the sentence is to CK and make a new character, that eliminates the "easy cash" incentive of crimes that really don't pay out, realistically speaking.

1 hour ago, aldo said:

i agree with lengthening prison sentences however other things should be lengthened too and if criminals have to rp the fear of going to prison for 30 days then civilians need to roleplay the fear of having a gun pointed at their head, getting robbed, getting beaten up etc. most if not all civilian roleplayers shrug off a traumatic event straight after it happens so this would be really unfair for criminals. 

This is already a reliably enforced rule, to RP fear of having a gun to your head.

The suggestion could only really be construed to be "punishing" criminals who refuse to RP in jail and think the only aspect of criminal RP is what they're able to inflict upon another player. When you have particular voices whose sole gripe is that their character suffering realistic consequences for their actions will somehow stifle their character development? You know you're on the right track.

It's a little silly to expect civilian RPers to treat an extremely frequent event with solemn gravitas each and every time it happens. You may well be into robberies for the RP and producing something for people to bounce off and forge a new direction for their characters, but what sense does this make in the context that they've already been robbed twenty times? You get people responding to violence with indifference because that's typically the response you'd get in a war-torn country.

By statistics, Los Santos outstrips places like Afghanistan and Venezuela in terms of murders and violent crime fairly easily - and there's really no other way to bring that under control than to increase the amount of time characters spend behind bars when convicted of violent crimes.

6 minutes ago, ayame said:

The amount of effort put into your frustration of my brief use of extortion coulda been used to bring up another one of these problems you’re oh so concerned about. Relax. My use of the word doesn’t negate the validity of my comment at all and valid argument and need for change was still expressed.

Again, agreed. Maybe I'm alone in this but it feels like every time I go on the forums these days its the same people throwing snow across the fence over and over again. It just feels like so many topics of discussion at the moment originated with the thought "Hmm, how can I bring extortion up again and get this party started once more" instead of actually trying to make any progress elsewhere. If you're not usually one of those people I apologize, my frustration is with the volume of usage, not with the validity of the concern. 

1 hour ago, aldo said:

fax^

This doesn't go for criminals any less, or do you think they are the gods of roleplaying fear when they put on their black helmet and tunic and rush up to people with pretyped emotes in the middle of realistically busy streets? (we're both just talking about subpar RP on either side here, that's not helpful to the conversation at all, the generalization in your statement is terrible, you're basically claiming a majority of legal roleplayers are bad)

Regardless the crime rate on the server is too high and frankly, it's because too big a part of the community roleplays a criminal. There is no balance. People not roleplaying the consequences of their actions and experiences ICly (prison as one example), which is part of their choice of RP, (if you're a criminal you can just anticipate having to deal with getting caught sometime and the consequences linked to it) is a real issue. As mentioned before me, you can't just expect a civilian to roleplay getting a gun pointed at them as a grave incident when they're already 'used' to it due to the sheer amount of robberies that take place.

Edited by Triple Seven
  • MomoIsHere changed the title to Lengthen Prison Sentences [G]
  • MomoIsHere locked this topic