Breakin rework

MK.

Short description: Guidelines to more solidify the do's and don't when it comes to the /breakin system on the server.

Detailed description:
The /breakin system onto the server in it's current state is rather bare state. I've been asking staff and players alike to get some feedback, and from my very own experiences as a player, I wish to suggest these guidelines to possibly improve onto the entire /breakin system.

When breaking in to places, admins generally 'spectate' or 'gamemaster' the player(s). Players are warned to be quiet in order to avoid neighbor suspicion, and on top of that, the general danger of alarm systems are included. I've personally had interacted with security systems, virtual, as well as physical in real life, and I wish to share my knowledge and bend it to a more server friendly version. That way, I don't complicate and clutter the /breakin system with trivial real life stuff.

Allow me to further elaborate;

Upon further investigation with both staff and players on GTA:World, it's come to my attention that staff have a general idea as to what they should do when it comes to /breakin's. I don't blame for certain people to have a below-average knowledge in regards of security systems, it's the reason why I wish to step in, and further solidify how I believe that /breakin's can be improved on. I personally believe that if I were to help GTA:W by setting up general guidelines, it would smoothen the process of /breakin's, improve the quality, and generally avoid any form of confusion where staff have to wing it. My guidelines will generally represent what I've seen in the server, how they'll work, and how to bypass said systems.

A security system can be easily defined by it's name. A building with a security system installed will have triggers on each door and window, essentially every 'opening' a house or apartment might have, and monitor it by use of sensors. Businesses might have more special sensors installed, such as where a jewelry shop as lasers running through the glass which'll act like a sensor or the like. When the sensor has been interrupted by a door suddenly opening, the person entering is prompted to put their password in, generally through a keypad by the door, and disable their alarm. This, of course, if a very basic concept of a security system, but it covers the foundation to what I wish to add onto the server. If more of a definition is needed, then please let me know, and I'll add onto this.

I'll now continue to list various components to a security system, how to 'bypass' them and the do's and don'ts. Staff may take whatever they please from this, and implement it accordingly. There are moreso RPly guidelines, rather than scripted in items (Other than the security systems, obtainable through hardware stores, of course).

Do note that I wish to simplify the way security systems are used. The way I describe certain things, and how they are IRL, are not a full 1:1, or might not even come near. What I yet again wish to voice, is that I have pondered on many of the follow things for quite a while so that I could think of a 'server friendly' system. I also wish to state that in no shape or form I wish to claim that these are 'separate' items. It's safe to assume that these items are included within the security systems one can buy, and I simply wish to flesh out the components.

- The use of security systems in houses.

Houses and apartments have a rather 'standard' security system. They will have sensors to all of their openings. That includes, but is not limited to, all doors and windows. An example of said sensors are stated below.

qolsys-iq-dw-mini-s-encrypted-wireless-s

These are to be placed outside of view from the outside of the apartment, and when the connection is broken, a timer will essentially start counting. When whatever person fails to provide a valid code to the keypad, an alarm will trigger. Ways to bypass them is to cut the telephone lines to a building, something that's near impossible to achieve within apartment complexes, given the lack of interiors. To bypass, one could cut the telephone lines to the property. This will however not completely disable the alarm. It will simply set an extended countdown for the alarm. If say, the alarm would normally ring within 30 seconds upon the breach, it'll not take a minute, if not a minute longer for it to sound.

RPly, people will be able to check for sensors on doors and windows, only after they've opened the property. They could check for any sensors directly onto the doors and windows, after opening them.  This will give the robbers a chance to rethink their strategy or run away before the initial alarm were to go off. Any attempts to manipulate these sensors, will result in the alarm being triggered. These cannot be disabled, but merely delayed further, or possibly bypassed if the robbery party managed to find an alternate entrance to the property. I wish to point out that the alarm system is one huge network of several components, which each their own purposes. If anyone were to tamper with the alarm system itself directly, the alarm will go off, this is a failsafe to all alarm systems.

- CCTV

Modern day CCTV tends to rely on bluetooth, and most commonly, WiFi. Certain establishments, mainly gas stations will have their CCTV used through a 'cable' function. However, the use of jammers and the like seems rather extreme and complicated to me. It could be a possibility, but I simply wished to point that out before I get to the subject.

CCTV will work to record whatever is happening, and store such onto a computer, usually out in the backrooms. Only establishments such as jewelry stores, government buildings, and certain high establishments could have CCTV which is always 'manned', so to speak. Where a person will man the camera's, and have eyes on the location at all times.

Therefor, I wish to suggest the following. Either allow CCTV to record whatever is happening, and 'store' it onto a generic computer within the establishment or property itself, or allow the use of 24/7 'manned' camera's, which enable for someone to essentially 'watch' the camera's at any given time.

CCTV's cannot be disabled. When attempting to, an alarm will start to count down. They can be bypassed, and have the alarm merely delayed for but a minute or two. This can be achieved by tampering with an alarm control panel, if such a thing is present on / inside of the establishment. Essentially, the big security box which certain people hang up.

If the power is RPly cut, the alarm will immediately count down. If the CCTV broadcast lines are severed, the alarm will be further delayed, rather than to outright go off.

- Motion sensors

I've noticed that certain establishments wish to use 'motion sensors' for their properties. This is about to take a rather complicated turn, but as I said before, staff are more than welcome to take and use whatever I present. If this doesn't fly, then it's alright by me.

Motion sensors in real life are commonly bypassed by certain ways. By use of sytofoam shielding, which enables the person holding the piece of styrofoam to 'shield' their body temperature from getting detected.

The use of infra-red flashlights. When said flashlight is concentrated upon the motion sensor for some while, it'll render the sensor nearly useless for the duration that the infra-red light to pointed onto it.

By crawling underneath the sensor. However 'mission impossible' this might sound, most commercially available sensors have a standard feature to make it 'animal friendly'. Certain sensors are unable to pick anything up that's up to three foot in height from the ground, enabling people to bypass sensors by crawling onto the ground to hopefully pass the sensor.

The sensor can only be bypassed in said ways, there is no way to turn it off. When manipulation is attempted, the alarm will start it's countdown.

- Jewelry store glass

In regards of jewelry stores, given how little there are within the server, I decided to keep this brief.

Certain cases are protected through lasers. This, is far from the 'Dodge under the laser' sort of lasers. These lasers travel through the entirely of the glass, and 'bends' along to reach another point. When the laser connection is severed, a.k.a., the glass is broken, an alarm will sound. The only way to bypass this is to cut the glass with professionally made tools.

The true 'score' for jewelry stores is a box filled with gems, which is generally kept underneath the/a counter.

It rarely happens that gems manage to fall out of a ring, a neckless, etc. Or, gems are being kept there as a 'replacement'. The definition on it varies, but the main point is that the employees store said gems into a small box, in the counters which they work at. These are mere boxes which are not directly secured.

Commands to add:  N/A

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server?

I personally believe that if staff have more solid guidelines when it comes to /breakin requests, that the overall player and staff experience will increase. No longer have staff to put themselves in confusion positions because they aren't up to date on how a 'MasterLock 4000' works. Whatever is in the server from what i'm aware of, is listed here. Plain and simple. Actions and consequences. Taking out the guess work, and replacing it with solid do's and don'ts so that staff know what to do when a certain player does something.

Additional information:

These are in my experience the main components to which I've faced during my /breakin adventures. If anyone has any suggestion as to what I should add/remove, please, do comment or let me know through my PM's. I wish to thank @Notbond, the members of GTA:W staff, and the countless of players that have inspired me to make this suggestion.

As I've stated before, staff may take and add onto this as they see fit. In my opinion, this seems like a more than solid base for them to work off of when it comes to breakin's. Have something to refer to when they question the acts of the players, and give players a general idea on what will work, and what won't when breaking in.

Edited by JackMiller07
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1

Everything in this suggestion is great. I have IRL experience as a CCTV jockey in a private security company and I had to deal with IR security systems, and this is a great guide for admin 'DMs' during break-in requests. One thing to consider tho: different owners choose different systems. While there's a standard in the market/industry, some people fork out the extra mula for better systems and that can translate to roleplay depending on what each homeowner's using.

On the opposite end of the deal, there's burglars. I've seen and heard accounts from a bunch of people with B&E's in their records, and a good amount of them always ignored properties with security signs on them. Are you going to risk alerting the neighborhood/armed response over a house you've never seen before or are you going to plan things out accordingly? Cruising through a place like Mirror Park or Chumash and suddenly deciding to burglarize a home there is not a good idea, it should take WEEKS of reconnaissance minimum. Lower income areas might be easier to target however.

• Applaud 1
18 hours ago, Gryphboi said:

different owners choose different systems. While there's a standard in the market/industry, some people fork out the extra mula for better systems and that can translate to roleplay depending on what each homeowner's using.

As much as I totally back this up, I left this out on purpose for the sake of keeping everything simple.

The same goes with how these security components are bypassed, I dumbed them out hella so just to make it server-friendly, is a sense of speaking.

18 hours ago, Gryphboi said:

On the opposite end of the deal, there's burglars. I've seen and heard accounts from a bunch of people with B&E's in their records, and a good amount of them always ignored properties with security signs on them. Are you going to risk alerting the neighborhood/armed response over a house you've never seen before or are you going to plan things out accordingly? Cruising through a place like Mirror Park or Chumash and suddenly deciding to burglarize a home there is not a good idea, it should take WEEKS of reconnaissance minimum. Lower income areas might be easier to target however.

I totally feel you on this. However, this is more of an IC issue where people are too little immersed to actually spot said security signs.

I don't mind expanding on this to push to have a system in place where one can put those signs up, but other than that? I believe it's more of an IC thing how people choose to approach their targets.

• Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic