Getting SA:MP style screenshots

Hello. I noticed that there's a few different guides around on how to edit screenshots and what to include in them, and I have also noticed that there's a fair amount of people that genuinely like the look of screenshots that we had on SA:MP, either due to nostalgia, minimalist look of it, or for whatever other reason. Now, I also know that there's a guide for utilizing a certain tool/website to make your screenshots look like that, however, that website is currently down, and some people might just prefer to do their screenshots using the PS/Paint.NET method. So — to get into it, I failed to find a guide that takes you through the steps of making your screenshots SA:MP-like, so I'm making one myself. 

1. What programs do I need and what do I have to do before-hand?

You'll need to install a few different programs in order to get the authentic look to your screenshots, namely;

• Either Photoshop or Paint.NET (Paint.NET download link: here, I can't give you the PS link due to obvious, legal reasons.)
  • LSRP+ (Yes, unfortunately. I know that LSRP+ has become a meme in the character-development-screenshots-making community and I know that its super easy to replicate/fake your screenshots with it, but unfortunately I fear its the only program suitable for this task.) (LSRP+ link: here)
  • Some sort of a chat-log parser, I personally use GTAW Assistant (GTAW Assistant link: here)
  • Some sort of a screenshot program, due to RageMP's built in F8 key's buggy nature, I personally use Screenpresso, however Fraps, Bandicam, or a myriad of other programs can be used.

2. Some quick tips and guidelines.

There's a few tips I'd like to share when it comes to editing screens, what to use and what not to use. People went over most of the things (such as what to include in your screenshots or how to use Photoshop/Paint.NET), so I'll just leave a few quick tips here that are at least to some extent unique to this method.

• Make sure to have your GTAW Assistant, or any other program you wish to use set to save your chat-log every X minutes. I keep it at 2, just in case.
  • Do not, under any circumstances, fabricate the emotes. Use the ones from your chat-log. Fabricating emotes is generally bad and is frowned upon, it leaves room for PG, RP scripting, and it genuinely looks bad. Please don't do it.
  • Disable your ClearType before you start editing your screens. If it's enabled, your text will look off and it won't be authentic, at all.

3. Editing your screenshots.

STEP 1: Get all the programs you'll have to use ready and set them up. Open your Photoshop/Paint.NET, LSRP+ and your chat-log archiver/parser, and find the line(s) you want to use. If you keep it enabled, disable ClearType (guide on how to do that can be easily found online, alternatively, just type ClearType in your Windows search bar, click on "Adjust ClearType text", and you'll find the option to disable it (Tested on Windows 10, however if I remember correctly it's similar on Windows 7 as well).

STEP 2: Load a blank (black) image on LSRP+ and adjust the window size so it's 800x600. Process of opening a screenshot in LSRP+ is pretty straight forward and you'll see it when you open the program, so I won't go in-detail on how to do so. You can adjust the size of the image by resizing the LSRP+ window, as seen in this GIF.

STEP 3: Set your LSRP+ text up. Go to the settings (CHAT SETTINGS), then enter all the setting like they're in this screenshot . Make sure they're an exact match in order for your screenshots to be authentic. Click 'Save'.

STEP 4: Go to your chat-log parser and copy the line(s) you want in your screenshot. Tab back into your LSRP+ and click on 'SET CHAT'. A new window will pop up. Paste your text there, and remove all the unneeded lines, such as admin jails, advertisements (unless important for the context of the screenshot), OOC messages, OOC chat and whatnot. When you're done, click 'SAVE'.

STEP 5: Click on 'EXPORT' and save your image somewhere where you'll remember it. Be it on your Desktop, your screenshot folder, anywhere.

STEP 6: Go to your Photoshop/Paint.NET and open the screenshot (scenery) you're going to use. Select the part of the screenshot you want to use and resize it to 800x600.

STEP 7: Open your LSRP+ edited screenshot (text). From here onward, it's the same procedure as with regular screenshot editing. 

STEP 8: You're done. Go post your screenshot on the forums and showcase your RP to the rest of the community. Good job, now your screens look like they're made in SA:MP.

TIP: In LSRP+, you'll have to use color codes in front of your text (no space between the color code and the first letter of the first word, your line should look something like this {c2a2da}Derrek Chen reaches for his duty belt, {c2a2da) being the color code for /me's, however, you don't need to use the code for /me's on GTAW as adding the * symbol in front of the line automatically changes the color to the in-game one), to get the exact color codes from in game, you can open a picture with the text in the color you want, and use the color picker option in Photoshop or whatever other program you might be using.

TIP 2: Unfortunately, LSRP+ supports only one color per line, if you want to use multi-colored messages, you'll have to improvise by cropping bits of text out and stitching them together in Photoshop/Paint.NET which is a really long and boring process. If needed I'll make a video to show the exact procedure.

In conclusion. Usually, I don't condone usage of LSRP+, its a neat program but it's terribly easy to abuse and fabricate screenshots with scripted RP using it. However, this is the only option I could think of. Now you've got screenshots looking like they're made in SA:MP that have that same minimalist/cool factor to them, here I'll attach an example of a screenshot made on GTA:W using this method right next to a SA:MP one. Also also, I'll include some of the/most of the color codes commonly used on GTA:W in an update later on.

Spoiler

showcase3.png

fernsbyinduction.png

Edited by Brian
  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 4:59 AM, whatsupfool said:

grimey, do u lower t he graphic settings as well?

or thats all edited

i cant really recall what my graphic settings were at the time, but it was smth by the middle. i do add a tiny bit of noise in some screenshots, sometimes to make them look more aesthetic, but i dont think that was the case here. i might be mistaken.

ot: no problemo gamers