Mandatory Descriptions for players

Barriss

If you got robbed, I would bet that you would be traumatized too and due to that, your description, depending on the severity of the trauma could be misleading and at times wrong, or you might simply forget important characteristics, because that is what happens in real life, because you can't just scroll up in chat and take a screenshot of their description. (Shocking)

On 10/2/2019 at 8:34 AM, Artz said:

If you got robbed, I would bet that you would be traumatized too and due to that, your description, depending on the severity of the trauma could be misleading and at times wrong, or you might simply forget important characteristics, because that is what happens in real life, because you can't just scroll up in chat and take a screenshot of their description. (Shocking)

Regardless. We're not debating how someone will react IRL.
image.thumb.png.c0880f222b05e73459453fbd2f143072.png

I'd like to use this image to illustrate why descriptions are actively important to RP. Like I said this has been features in RP communities far and wide, from MMOs to Garrysmod you'll see people make descriptions. Some are novels, some are brief. However, right here is a crux issue. Said Player doesn't wish to be associated with being a skinhead/Nazi. The only form of description he ever gave to the character was in /me's doing
image.png.b88e99fb187fb5b8e665b1e39c6f8555.png
OOCly he's saying he isn't a Skinhead/Nazi. The only key thing we have to note is 88'. But he does this in a /me it's currently not part of his attributes. So you can't examine him to gather information that is reasonably able to be deduced. Thus by association with his IC actions, choice of hair cut, and 88, we can rationally assume he's a part of that specific brand of roleplayers. Comparatively, I've seen other Skinhead/Nazi actually put forth some effort into using this feature because they know it's important to RP.  You lose any right to be upset because someone is IDing you as a skinhead because you're bald, a biker, with tattoos. That CAN EASILY fade away when you have a description of like;
Bob McTom - Has a menagerie of Russian prison tattoos/-GangName- Tattoos/Tattoo of an eggplant emoji-

Now lets round back to the issue I had is that criminal RPers will use this to their advantage. You can examine people with masks on. It's not hard. Someone whose wearing a mask isn't impossible to be ID'd. I've examined masked people and gotten physical characteristics that I can ICly deem to make sense. But when you don't have one set up, I'm completely powerless to attempt to bring you to justice at a later time. In a sense this is power-gaming because you're saying nobody is capable of knowing who you are if they take a closer look.

It's also possible that people are ignorant of this feature and don't know about it. But if you're a criminal RPer, and you know to take shadowplay, screenshots, and are prepared to upload your videos of you shooting people. Then you're smart enough to know that this command exsist.

You are the one who brought that scenario up, I am done with this thread as I don't really see you bring anything new to the table. I appreciate you shining a light on this, but I do honestly believe your motives for this is limiting the way people choose to roleplay. I get how people should have a description, at least outlining the most important aspects of their character, but I believe what you are arguing is that it's your way or the highway.

EDIT: Most criminal RP'ers I met have really good descriptions, so I personally believe you just ran into some unlucky situations.

Edited by Artz

I'm a legal roleplayer, but I never use the description feature. I find that it's something extra for those that do want to use it, but personally I don't even check if other players have it. And if they do, then I wouldn't even know which commands can be used to see it or even alter my own.

If people are using generic clothing to blend in, just like real life criminals, then that should be handled ICly. Forcing people to always have a description, especially if they don't use that future themselves is mundane. For example, I know several people that have a different hairstyle etc for every outfit, I also know people that don't like to specify their characters weight or height, because like real life, it kinda varies per moment. (Heels or not, eating habits change).

The point is that while the command is a helpful addition to some, it's very mundane and unnecessary to others. Like admins have explained in the past, the rules, as they are, are setup with some room so that they can cater to a large range situations. Implementing a strict rule like this would not only be very difficult to enforce, but also go directly against that spirit on which the server is being governed day to day.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 12:43 PM, Vash Baldeus said:

Also /examine & /attributes should be MANDATORY, I always check people to see their appearance and such when interacting with them and maybe 7 our of 10 times it's empty and not even set.

The server makes an abysmal job of telling new players about all the commands it has. Beginner guides are EXTREMELY barebones.

There needs to be a big ass post with every command stickied to the INFO board.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
On 10/23/2019 at 8:59 PM, pateuvasiliu said:

The server makes an abysmal job of telling new players about all the commands it has. Beginner guides are EXTREMELY barebones.

There needs to be a big ass post with every command stickied to the INFO board.

You aware that theres over 100 commands or so in the server. You think making it is easy? I have NEVER seen any other server do a guide like you mentioned.

On 10/1/2019 at 10:38 PM, Barriss said:

"5'10, Grey Eyes, Medium length brown hair, speaks with a Liberty accent. Visible Dog, Gun, Lion, Swastika, Floral tattoos on arms if uncovered. Walks with an odd limp."

I see your down with the brand @Barriss, Welcome to the white car brother.

In all seriousness I full agree, I hate when I /examine someone and they've set no description.

19 hours ago, Vash Baldeus said:

You aware that theres over 100 commands or so in the server. You think making it is easy? I have NEVER seen any other server do a guide like you mentioned.

Then how in the world are people supposed to know about it?

Most people probably don't have a description because they don't know that's a thing.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
1 hour ago, pateuvasiliu said:

Then how in the world are people supposed to know about it?

Most people probably don't have a description because they don't know that's a thing.

If you think it's necessary how about you take the time to contact support get the list of commands that are for players (non admin commands) and make a guide?

3 hours ago, Vash Baldeus said:

If you think it's necessary how about you take the time to contact support get the list of commands that are for players (non admin commands) and make a guide?

I'm not the one complaining that people don't have descriptions.

I offered you the solution to your problem. You can take it, or not do it and keep complaining that people don't have descriptions.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
  • mj2002 locked this topic