HD Universe and you.

Engelbert

8 minutes ago, Haitian said:

i always thought that car brands should be stuck to as they're a very prominent part of roleplay. as for other stuff, beer, items - guns, in particular - honestly, i couldn't care less. if you want to call your combat pistol a glock (which i do), then go for it. it shouldn't matter to anyone what you call it. i'd argue that when trying to sell it or hand it over to people, though, whatever the case, it should be called a combat pistol to avoid confusion.

at the end of the day calling guns and drinks and stuff by their real life counterparts has basically no impact on anyones 'immersion' anyway.

having said that, i very much agree that stuff like cars and location should be lore-friendly. you drive a sentinel classic, not a bmw e30. you live in san andreas, not california. there is no los angeles, it has been replaced by los santos. miami doesn't exist, it's vice city. same goes for carcer city, las venturas, san fierro, blah blah.

Well to avoid confusion a player could simply write in /b or /pm [ID] the original weapon name. It just doesn't make sense to advocate for continuity when we're going off half satirized and half real world. Being brutally honest, i wouldn't mind if the server ditched the lore as a whole and we stick to real world only. Fact of the matter is, the real world is much more diverse than the limited made up satirical branding that Rockstar came up with for the game.

It truly shouldn't matter to anyone what a player wishes to role play in regards to this so long as it makes sense. Truthfully speaking some players should get off their high horse, stop acting arrogant and allow people to role play whatever they desire without the need to act delusional only because it doesn't fit into what the original game offers.

43 minutes ago, 1357 said:

big words

yeah see that sounds all well and good but what if somebody wants to roleplay selling a "1984 mercedes ck3910b" (doesn't exist) and i have absolutely no idea what it is? you want me to take the time to tab out, google the real-life car and then try to deduce what car they're talking about in-game? or would you rather me pm them? oh, except i can't, because i only know their phone number and not their name if it's a /ad. so then i have to call them in character and ask them "hey, by the way, what car are you actually selling because i don't know what you're talking about", at which point i might have thought that they meant they were selling a sultan but they were actually selling a feltzer. 

not only that, but what are PD supposed to roleplay? "hello, someone stole my 2006 ford something-or-other". "ok sir what car are you actually talking about because i don't know what you mean". or even worse:

"steve duncan says: 2-lincoln-7, suspect is driving a 1989 chevrolet caprice"

"ian gonzalez says: /f ((what car are they actually driving steve because idk what specific car you're referencing there.))"

the problem with roleplaying gta vehicles as real life cars is that there is no standardization. 10 people can all own the same car and roleplay it being something completely different than the last person. but it's okay because 'technically' it's 'based' on that car so it's not against the rules.

i don't mean to come across as harsh but i've experienced these problems on samp servers and they annoy me to no end. im not on a high horse i just dont like getting confused and having to jump through hoops all the time.

Edited by Haitian
i cant spell
  • Upvote 3
Just now, Haitian said:

yeah see that sounds all well and good but what if somebody wants to roleplay selling a "1984 mercedes ck3910b" (doesn't exist) and i have absolutely no idea what it is? you want me to take the time to tab out, google the real-life car and then try to deduce what car they're talking about in-game? or would you rather me pm them? oh, except i can't, because i only know their phone number and not their name if it's a /ad. so then i have to call them in character and ask them "hey, by the way, what car are you actually selling because i don't know what you're talking about", at which point i might have thought that they meant they were selling a sultan but they were actually selling a feltzer. 

not only that, but what are PD supposed to roleplay? "hello, someone stole my 2006 ford something-or-other". "ok sir what car are you actually talking about because i don't know what you mean". or even worse:

"steve duncan says: 2-lincoln-7, suspect is driving a 1989 chevrolet caprice"

"ian gonzalez says: /f ((what car are they actually driving steve because idk what specific car you're referincing there.))"

the problem with roleplaying gta vehicles as real life cars is that there is no standardization. 10 people can all own the same car and roleplay it being something completely different than the last person. but it's okay because 'technically' it's 'based' on that car so it's not against the rules.

i don't mean to come across as harsh but i've experienced these problems on samp servers and they annoy me to no end. im not on a high horse i just dont like getting confused and having to jump through hoops all the time.

No those are quite valid points. The high horse was mainly shot at people who do know that information but would still rather play it off as if they haven't a clue and maybe even go as far as to cause a fuss over it. In the scenario for high speed pursuits, it would probably be a good idea for the faction leader to regulate rules around all faction members communicating all car models as the game models as opposed to real world just so everyone is being fed the same information and while all being on the same page, and same goes for players who were to report a 911 incident involving a vehicle. But you don't even see this now i'm sure, so it's not even a big deal, it just caters to the niche of car enthusiasts and they should be allowed to role play what they want and if other players don't have a clue, well no problem, it's not like that player would probably have a clue in reality either due to limited car knowledge.

It's a good point.. but because you don't understand cars shouldn't limit what someone else wants to role play outside of what is considered important intel. You don't really see anyone make advertisements for a 1989 Chevrolet Caprice anyway and now that i think about it.. is it even a rule? And if a player were to advertise a (( "1984 mercedes ck3910b ? )) it could be made so that they are required to bracket the game model for clarification purposes. 

E.g; Selling a >REAL LIFE MODEL CAR HERE< for >PRICE HERE< (( GAME MODEL )) PH: 00000000

• Upvote 1
Just now, 1357 said:

valid points

i apologise for misunderstanding your high-horse comment, thank you for clarifying.

those are good counter-points and honestly i agree with most of them. i can understand how car enthusiasts would love to roleplay their respective models of car as real-life models, and frankly - i have no problem with that.

i also agree with the standardization in PD. the point i was making there was mostly satirical as i'm sure the PD would still refer to in-game models if any rules regarding real-life models were implemented.

i don't really agree with the ooc text for advertisements, but that's just a personal niggle of mine and probably doesn't bother the vast majority.

back to car enthusiasts for a moment - honestly - if they want to roleplay their cars to each other as very specific models with specific tuning parts and whatnot, by all means, i really don't mind. i'm fairly certain that's what some people in the server do at the moment anyway. i don't want to deter anybody from roleplaying what they're good at and knowledgeable about; it only bothers me when they assume that i have the same level of knowledge and get frustrated when i don't understand what they're talking about.

hopefully ethanol and the rest of the staff team can draft a set of rules which cover the HD universe debacle, though, as it's interesting to hear everyones opinions.

3 minutes ago, Haitian said:

i apologise for misunderstanding your high-horse comment, thank you for clarifying.

those are good counter-points and honestly i agree with most of them. i can understand how car enthusiasts would love to roleplay their respective models of car as real-life models, and frankly - i have no problem with that.

i also agree with the standardization in PD. the point i was making there was mostly satirical as i'm sure the PD would still refer to in-game models if any rules regarding real-life models were implemented.

i don't really agree with the ooc text for advertisements, but that's just a personal niggle of mine and probably doesn't bother the vast majority.

back to car enthusiasts for a moment - honestly - if they want to roleplay their cars to each other as very specific models with specific tuning parts and whatnot, by all means, i really don't mind. i'm fairly certain that's what some people in the server do at the moment anyway. i don't want to deter anybody from roleplaying what they're good at and knowledgeable about; it only bothers me when they assume that i have the same level of knowledge and get frustrated when i don't understand what they're talking about.

hopefully ethanol and the rest of the staff team can draft a set of rules which cover the HD universe debacle, though, as it's interesting to hear everyones opinions.

Yea, certainly there should be rules around when something specifically could be role played, but i'd hope we're not trying to nit pick and limit ourselves only to what GTA offers because we think it's enough and otherwise is punishable. I'm not sure how i'd feel about that.

3 hours ago, Haitian said:

I can understand how car enthusiasts would love to roleplay their respective models of car as real-life models, and frankly - i have no problem with that. 

Probably not possible on gtaw, but it is on FiveM and there are servers that have fully modded cars, literally all of the cars are replaced with a mod of its real life counterpart. 

But since we don't have mods, replacing stuff is dumb ( aka Futo=Toyota) but adding stuff is fine (aka Phone = OnePlus or Nokia), same with alcohol, not everyone takes time to learn about the lore, some people barely touched single player so they replace Cerveza Barracho with Corona or smh, it's fine. 

People care so much what others do. "Muh immersion". 

Focus on yourself and your RP and you'll have fun. If you personally get upset whenever or not someone on a videogame says corona instead of logger then maybe you should take a small pause from games.

I play either RL ir IG brands depending on the group I'm in. The key word everyone should keep in mind is adaptability. 

1 hour ago, Memozzy said:

Focus on yourself and your RP and you'll have fun. If you personally get upset whenever or not someone on a videogame says corona instead of logger then maybe you should take a small pause from games.

I play either RL ir IG brands depending on the group I'm in. The key word everyone should keep in mind is adaptability. 

Yes until 8 different people define the same car model as 8 different irl/ig brands at the same time. 

Continuity will explain exactly what the world around you contains and how you should go about RPing it. The script will back continuity up in order for people to keep a steady RP flow instead of switching between forums and the server trying to figure out what they're drinking or driving. 

• Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Memozzy said:

This is so dumb. As Ethanol said, if there's a group and everyone has their own opinion on something, it will just cause confusion. There should always be standards, random stuff as alcohol , nobody cares, there's not many of them and it's fine of someone adds RL stuff as well. But items that we are given by R*, just RPing that you drive a mustang is idiotic. 

1 hour ago, Ethanol said:

Yes until 8 different people define the same car model as 8 different irl/ig brands at the same time. 

Continuity will explain exactly what the world around you contains and how you should go about RPing it. The script will back continuity up in order for people to keep a steady RP flow instead of switching between forums and the server trying to figure out what they're drinking or driving. 

There's so much more the server could benefit from other than this that it seems like a waste of resources to even focus on. Renaming object strings in the code base is going to make any sort of a noticeable difference how? Are we really trying to force or encourage people to role play a Sprunk >> Sprite? The server is lacking players for what is a good reason, and it's not because of continuity. New players will care less whether they're to role play something object oriented in the script or not. People want things to do, because not everyone enjoys driving around mindlessly in high end sports cars and enjoys the sub par role play mainly elsewhere, what seems like primarily clubs.

I've yet to encounter anything like so.. more so to the lengths exampled, and if it's truly a big deal to what honestly seems like a minority then just make it so advertisements require the game model of vehicles to avoid confusion and call it a day, but even then.. people making out specific models in advertisements is non existent so how big of a deal is this. 

I understand that content relies on developers and their proficiency in C# and the client itself which may hold the server back even further.. but what are some things that developers are able to do that would genuinely make role play more enjoyable other than continuity. I often find myself logging in and shortly after wanting to log off because there's nothing to do, surely i'm not the only one who feels that way and making it so i'm supposed to role play X instead of Z isn't going to change that. 

All of whatever this is.. seems so pointless and exaggerated.

Edited by 1357
  • Perky locked this topic