Returning player here, looking for advice!

Heey. 

I've played in GTA:W mainly between 2018 - 2020. Those were my peak years where I was enjoying the gameplay the most. I've since recently returned, but logging in where I left my character last time I was online, I realized so many things have changed. And I realized too, that I have no exact idea where to begin. The players I've played with back then have since moved on to different characters or from roleplay entirely. 

I've for many years experienced the legal side of civilian life on GTA.world. Firstly as a journalist and later as a photographer for the Fire Department. Then on my other character I've worked as a mechanic on public servant vehicles (police/ambulance). And while I like that side of roleplay, I'm looking for something with a little more risk, something more engaging and I guess I'm looking for some tips and tricks on how to achieve that. Obviously without metagaming. It wouldn't be the first time I've tried to get into illegal roleplay. My last attempt was during covid in 2022. But my character was female and she was led to believe that there was limited options in that world for her. All my characters have been female because that's basically my comfortzone. And I'm pondering wether perhaps I should simply go with a male character this time around, as they perhaps have a little more ease of access to that danger and dark side of roleplay. 

I'm regardless going to try and pick up roleplay on my main character I've had since 2018. But all tips, tricks and advice is welcome on a more dark, dangerous and illegal experience on my second character. And perhaps tips and tricks on systems that have improved that people are excited for and recommend are welcome too. 🙂

Thanks in advance.

Welcome back! 

I'd say take a look at the guides that players in the community have posted about illegal roleplaying. You can still do illegal things as a female if you don't feel comfortable playing as a male character.  When roleplaying illegal stuff, I'd say try to be creative with it. Try to be unique with it so you can enjoy new role-play scenarios that others don't do. 

Try taking a look at this in your free time, It's a pretty decent guide that could probably help you find new roleplay opportunities. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Your easiest option is to just go and check unofficial factions forums, see if any concept gathers your interest. If you find a group that catches your eye, you should do a little research and create a character which could mesh with them. From there forward, I'm pretty sure they will be more than happy to help you out and include you in their roleplay. It's just a matter of finding right people who you click with, rest comes along really nice.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, cookiejar said:

Heey. 

I've played in GTA:W mainly between 2018 - 2020. Those were my peak years where I was enjoying the gameplay the most. I've since recently returned, but logging in where I left my character last time I was online, I realized so many things have changed. And I realized too, that I have no exact idea where to begin. The players I've played with back then have since moved on to different characters or from roleplay entirely. 

I've for many years experienced the legal side of civilian life on GTA.world. Firstly as a journalist and later as a photographer for the Fire Department. Then on my other character I've worked as a mechanic on public servant vehicles (police/ambulance). And while I like that side of roleplay, I'm looking for something with a little more risk, something more engaging and I guess I'm looking for some tips and tricks on how to achieve that. Obviously without metagaming. It wouldn't be the first time I've tried to get into illegal roleplay. My last attempt was during covid in 2022. But my character was female and she was led to believe that there was limited options in that world for her. All my characters have been female because that's basically my comfortzone. And I'm pondering wether perhaps I should simply go with a male character this time around, as they perhaps have a little more ease of access to that danger and dark side of roleplay. 

I'm regardless going to try and pick up roleplay on my main character I've had since 2018. But all tips, tricks and advice is welcome on a more dark, dangerous and illegal experience on my second character. And perhaps tips and tricks on systems that have improved that people are excited for and recommend are welcome too. 🙂

Thanks in advance.

On average it's better to be a male character when joining a crime faction, assuming you want to be a an active "made" member. But by no means does it mean you can't RP female, it's just a different experience and it varies a lot depending on the culture of the criminal faction you seek to join. For instance LCN, MCs, and Russian mobs(that being said there is one Russian faction on the server where females have a more active role) only really have males in "active" roles. On the other hand Hispanic gangs, Black gangs, more Americanized crime concepts, Mexican organized crime and Asian organized crime are more lenient on females being somewhat more actively involved. Regardless of whether you choose to RP male or female, you should always research the specific crime faction you're joining and how its culture functions irl. Then after you do your research, you craft your character accordingly.

For most crime groups it helps to start off as a working class or impoverished young adult or adolescent. When it comes to recruitment street gangs prefer anyone 16 or below, OCGs are more lenient but still prefer around the 18-22 years old range. Make sure your character's ethnicity and culture corresponds with the faction they're trying to join. Obviously exceptions can happen rarely, but it's naturally easier to join a Korean-American organized crime group as a Korean-American than say a first generation Korean or a Japanese-American. Your goal on average should be to make money alongside your group to lift both yourself and your peers out of poverty. A lot of crime groups in real life are formed by impoverished people belonging to the same culture who have banded together for the purpose of survival. Of course greed can become a thing, internal disputes can occur and egos can go wild which is something to take into mind too when it comes to portraying a member of a crime group. 

Edited by SpicyBandito
  • Thanks 1

As previously stated, research the concept first (if its a faction you're interested in anyways) by checking the thread but also by conducting research on the real life counterpart of the organisation/gang where applicable.

This will give you a better idea of the culture and attitude within the group, and you should be able to make a more informed choice on what you want to do moving forward with your character. 

Edited by PaidInFull.
  • Thanks 1
On 3/2/2024 at 6:35 AM, cookiejar said:

Heey. 

Thanks in advance.

There's actually quite a bit of faction roleplay on the server now and a lot of things have changed since you were last on the server. I would suggest re-going over the IG rules and the rules of engagement as that's kind of a big portion of illegal roleplay, and governs what you can and cannot do. In terms of locating a faction where you roleplay a male, there are many prominent factions in many different aspects of the server. There's quite a few asian gangs, white gangs, black & hispanic gangs. There's also different motorcycle club & other organized crime groups like LCN, etc. If that's more your speed. I would say that OC roleplay is probably a bit slower than gang roleplay and you are less likely to get randomly gunned down as an associate of an organized crime group and might be a better stepping stone than a davis gang. You may also find similar themes and your approach may be allowed to be similar as some of these more organized crime groups control businesses such as restuarants, mechanic shops, etc.

I think that with a few short guide reads, you can easily approach either an organized crime group as an adult associate, or perhaps join a criminal street gang as a young runner. It is also entirely possible to roleplay a solo criminal, with the access to schemes such as weed growing, prescription fraud, and more. You can easily establish your own mark in the city as an illegal supplier of goods and make connections to factions while not necessarily having to abide to their rules and being subject to being told what to do and how to do it all the time. I hope these ideas helped you. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some tips to help you achieve that:

• Character Development: Focus on creating a detailed backstory for your character that explains their motivations for engaging in illegal activities. This will help you stay true to your character's personality and make your roleplay more immersive.
  • Joining Factions: Consider joining criminal factions or organizations, these groups often provide structured storylines and interactions that can lead to more intense and risky roleplay scenarios.
  • Networking: Connect with other players who are involved in illegal roleplay or are interested in exploring that side of the game. Building relationships with like-minded players can lead to collaborative storytelling and exciting plot developments.
  • In-Game Events: Participate in in-game events or storylines that involve criminal activities or dangerous situations. This can add depth to your character's narrative and create memorable roleplay moments.
  • Roleplay Etiquette: Remember to always follow the server's roleplay rules and guidelines, and respect the boundaries of other players. Engaging in illegal roleplay should be done in a way that enhances the overall storytelling experience for everyone involved.

@cookiejar If you have any questions, feel free to ask 😇

I believe the question being asked has been addressed, feel free to utilize the help others have provided and don't be afraid to talk to people more about the topic for ideas and help, welcome back and I hope you find some enjoyable roleplay!

• Rasta locked this topic