Los Santos Insider | GOP Present Their Candidates as City Council Campaigns Begin

2U6M6J4.jpg

Tw6wGew.png

GOP Present Their Candidates as City Council Campaigns Begin

Written by Gabriel Stone, 26/01/24

qgJDXz7.png

On the 23rd of January 2024, The GOP held a "Kick-off Tuesday" event in which they presented their candidates for the City Council Elections. The campaigning period begins now, featuring a mixture of Republican, Democratic and Independent candidates. The kick-off event was proudly introduced by Mayor Preston who claimed to be fulfilling one of his "greatest promises" by reinstating "...the City Council after its long absence". He continued on to say that San Andreas "is a RED State" and always would be, insisting that Republicans have the people's best interests at heart

Northern District

Josély Martinez (R) - David Wu (D)

Western District

Sophie Wu (D) - Daniel Park. (IN)

Central District

Garrett Baker (R) - Olivia Zhao (D)

Southern District

Eduardo Vargas  (IN) - Frank Buntz (R)

Los Santos County District

Ted Cook (R) - Colton Reed  (IN)

ELECTION SCHEDULE

CAMPAIGNS RUN FROM JAN 23rd - FEB 8th

DffLuz9.png

The first candidate introduced was Josély Martinez, running for the Northern District. Martinez introduced herself as an active member of the Northern District's community, promising that she'd be putting efforts into making the city "...a better, safer place for all". During the post-event interview, Martinez was asked what it was she felt she would bring to the district if she were elected to which she responded "My passion, my business acumen and my full, unwavering dedication. The Northern district is where I went to university... worked, and lived ever since I moved here." further stating "I care deeply for it's community, of which I am blessed to be apart."

When asked if she had identified aspects of the Northern District that needed improvement she stated, as in her speech, that "Public safety is a big part of my platform. I look forward to the re-establishment of the Police Commission, where I hope to bring about more safety in the district — In particular at ULSA. Student safety is very important to me. They are the future, after all. I'd like to work with the LSPD and establish a lasting training program for the University's security team, for example." She further added that she wanted to see more community policing in the district in general.

She faces keen opposition from the Democrats in the Northern District who are backing David Wu, Husband to Sophie Wu who's also aiming for a district of her own. The couple have been well-known and active members of the Los Santos community for some time now each in their own right, both having previously expressed political ambitions.

jBYTBqO.png

Next to take the stage was Garrett Baker who was quick to proclaim his time spent "...fighting for our freedom in the army" before going on to say that this time instead he'll be "Fighting for your freedoms on the soil of great Los Santos" Baker is aiming for election in the Central District, opposed by Olivia Zhao, backed by the Democrats. He gave a decidedly short speech but presented his platform of creating more "entrepreneurial opportunities for companies of all sizes" and took a stab at other politicians as he mentioned he would be a man of action and would not be engaging in "...pointless arguments on social media"

In the post-kickoff interview, Baker had decidedly more to say. He was asked why he'd picked the central district, to which he responded "...it's the heart of Los Santos, and who better to fight for it than someone that's lived there for large portions of my time here in San Andreas." He was further asked what he felt the Central District needed that he'd be working on should he be elected as councilman "More entrepreneurial opportunities for private companies, public works has been limping behind and I feel it's due time we allow for well functioning private business to just as well carry out the work. With my history of growing a trucking company on this very soil that is Los Santos, I've first-hand experienced the hardships that follow running a private business. I wish to create opportunities where there was none when I was hard at work keeping my business alive." 

pJGsDr2.png

Next to the stage was Frank Buntz, aiming for the position of Councilman in the Southern District, opposed by an independent candidate Eduardo Vargas. Buntz described the election as "Bittersweet" and went on to remind the audience attending of his career as a lawyer "It's a word many in South Central and the East Side can align with. I thought about the wonderful families I've worked with during my career as a lawyer... then I remembered the agony many of them faced from years of municipal neglect."

He reminisced over the young men and women he'd represented in his past and the injustice they had allegedly faced. Buntz proceeded to discuss a story with the audience "I can recall the story of a boy whose mother died... she could've lived if the hospitals had been better. Who's father worked his fingers to the bone to put food on the table... he never got a chance to retire. A boy who faced discrimination for being a Jew, who had to resort to working two part-time jobs to support his family. That boy stands before you today... that boy is me." While the audience appeared to have mixed reactions to the story, Buntz remained firm on his stance that he was the right man for the district, claiming to owe his career as an attorney to the Southern District.

He added "I've worked with local grass-roots businesses like IcyDoll, when their rights were threatened by the swamp. I've given the same message to troubled youths from Jamestown to Davis High - that the American dream is for everyone." presenting a platform of equality and assuring that "When our voice of freedom talks, Los Santos better listen."

In the post-kickoff interview, Buntz was asked why he felt he was the right candidate for the district and reiterated much of the previous speech, stating that he had worked in the district for about twenty years representing citizens of South Central and beyond in court "...criminal defense trials, protecting their constitutional freedom and fighting for their civil rights." When asked what he hoped to bring to the district that it needs, he responded "In one word? Change. I'll be promoting family, freedom and future... and I'll take every step I can to ensure those values are not only protected but enhanced if I get elected." lastly stating that he'd have a campaign website available soon for interested parties to find out more.

GMQthqE.png

The last candidate to the stage was Ted Cook who's aiming for election in the Los Santos County District. He stands opposed by an independent candidate, Colton Reed. He began with a less conventional speech, stating that he wasn't going to bore the audience "...with the usual hooplah" 

Cook proceeded to claim that the county had long been ignored because "Crooks and members of the woke mob have swindled the great people of Los Santos for too long!" Cook then went on to take a jab at fellow and past politicians "Politicians with no backbone. Politicians too afraid to stand up for what's right! Too afraid to publicly back law enforcement out of fear of being attacked by the woke mob! God bless our beautiful members of law enforcement by the way, haha!" 

He stressed that he hoped the public would make the "right" decision in the upcoming election and vote for GOP candidates. In the post-event interview, however, Cook had more to say about his actual plans for the county district should he be elected. "I'll tell you exactly what I'll bring to the county. The love and appreciation that our residents have been missing for years." He stated, clarifying "We have all this open land up north. I'm sure you've seen it, the most /beautiful/wildlife and nature in Los Santos. But what's being done with it? Nothing. Our county needs jobs. And there's a simple solution. We stop playing games and put our resources to work, eh?"

When asked further if he wanted to build on unused land in the county, he felt the word 'build' was too specific stated that he didn't want to "put a limit to what we will do with the land" adding that "Affordable housing can be built, our parks can be drastically improved." He believes that some facilities up north are in a bad state and could be improved. Though he insisted that he would never "invade our public parks"

a6Nxod8.png9aGYsuN.png

To close the evening off, both Senator Rossi and Senator Brandenburg were called to the stage. Rossi took the podium first and proudly stated that it was solely the Republican Party that fought for a fair mayoral election, and thus lead to the City Council elections being made possible at all. "Remember who fought against your best interests" he added in a direct jab at the Democratic Party "Who fought against the idea of a local elected body to serve the people of Los Santos? It was the Democratic Party" He celebrated the GOP's success and thanked the citizens of Los Santos.

Brandenburg stepped up to the podium next and happily reiterated the sentiment that "The very opportunity that you have today, the opportunity and liberty to elect those who represent you, is another success of the Republican party to uphold it's promises, this time through The efforts of our Mayor, Hank Preston." Brandenburg assured that the Republican Party is a platform for change and a better future "What you see here tonight on this podium means progress, means innovation, honesty and a team that will always... and I mean always work for each and every one of you, for your interest and for a better tomorrow for you"

The historic race begins now, with campaigns due to conclude quickly on the 8th of February. Candidates will spend the days until then presenting why they're the right people to represent their chosen districts.

>>>FULL GALLERY<<<

Hwn1Il3.gifPj7ndyD.png

hUEtsz0.pngHDHUSDQ.gif

Comments Are: Enabled

Username:

Comment:

Edited by Degu
Fixed.
  • Upvote 12
  • Applaud 1