Allow Basement Requests For Apartments

hey, really simple request here to change the blanket ban on currently in-place for a multi-interior apartment or condos to at least allow exceptions to be made if they're argued well and the location makes sense.

this isnt for properties on the 2nd, 3rd, etc floor as this is impossible given what a basement/cellar is categorically but for a first floor unit of a building it should at least be capable of being applied for and actually considered without the rule.

these exist quite a bit irl to clarify. they're a bit more expensive and apart of the first-floor unit, or in other circumstances, they are a completely separate unit themselves below the ground level.

in places like new york, jersey city, and newark ive seen apartment units on the first floor with a basement. i also have seen condos circumstantially like this as well. as it stands owning an apartment is what much of the server is reduced to given the housing shortage and it would be nice to have the capacity to at least be on an even playing field with houses when it comes to requests. im not saying the application should be easy and everyone should have theirs accepted, but a blanket ban? seems really unnecessary imo especially if you can realistically justify having a very small cellar/basement and you're in an apartment/condo on the first floor.

ty.

https://www.brickunderground.com/buy/buy-curious-nyc-apartments-with-extra-basement-spaces
https://www.apartmentlist.com/renter-life/basement-apartments

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Basement for singular apartments? I'm not sure if that's a thing; I can only imagine this as a common basement, but let me quote something for you and explain why basements aren't a viable thing in California, a state on which San Andreas is based.

California homes don’t have basements because of climate conditions, traditional architecture, and the perceived risk factors of adding a basement in an earthquake-prone area. When did this trend of no basements begin?

Researchers trace it back to the post-war era when the United States was recovering from the economic and political shocks of the Second World War. California witnessed an influx of immigrants and families seeking housing, spiking construction, and a massive housing boom.

During this period, contractors were focused on speedy and efficient construction, and basements weren’t added to the architectural design as they slowed down the assembly line.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2024 at 4:02 PM, Homiecide said:

Basement for singular apartments? I'm not sure if that's a thing; I can only imagine this as a common basement, but let me quote something for you and explain why basements aren't a viable thing in California, a state on which San Andreas is based.

while i see where you’re coming from earthquakes aren’t really a factor on the server and basements are also common on the server 

On 3/27/2024 at 11:43 AM, radreaper100 said:

super common over here in nyc 

If this became a thing, I believe Sololy PM should have full permission to grant this to players. I have seen a few actual apartments in the past with small basements, not sure if they still have them or if they've been removed due to PM's demand.