Remove expired points from the criminal points.

Hart

It takes 30 days of in game playtime since last arrest for points to go down by 5. It would make sense to want a three striker system if the police would actually use the bail schedule they are meant to use (most don't, and imprison anyway) or if the courts could actually solve a case in a timely manner, alas a lot of cases go through habeas corpus for release or a lot of dismissed charges remain with points stacked on people's record. Murder is 20 points on its own and unless they committed a murder with their first, there's other gun felonies. Virtually 1 murder = required case. If you want a 3 strike system then make it 90 points or something more acceptable.

The issue seems everybody on GTAW loves to go for big charges like (attempted) capital murder, murder 1 or 2, and other trumped up charges they can Ctrl + F in the penal code. Most murder investigations on GTA World don't turn up GSR or weapons, witnesses are mostly inexistent or usually unreliable since there's no civilians, and all you are left with is circumstantial evidence in the form of blood and casigns. When you try to charge players with murder over a blood sample then the best they'll get is aggravated battery or assault with a deadly weapon or mayhaps some form of manslaughter, all of which are up to 5 years time in California (aka about 3 and parole given there's still overcrowding past COVID).

The vice versa applies. People play banged out 16 year olds that don't crack at any police pressure and in turn make the cops have no choice but to arrest—that's why we have "criminal points" in the first place, to combat that behavior. In turn there has to be some sort of incentive to decrease criminal points for people who get away with crime if they have a record, else it doesn't make sense to get away & instead people'll opt for 1-life characters that become namechanges.

If you don't comprehend what 20 real life days in jail is and say there's got to be much harsher punishment for roleplaying crime that you as cops can investigate then you're straight up delusional. This is the opinion of an illegal faction leader & also someone who's been high up in law enforcement factions for years. Reminder that as soon as the deathmatch rule prohibited killing for petty reasons came in, a bandwagon of LSSD & LSPD members made a rule suggestion to get rid of it because there's no more shootings or easy crime to get involved in. You need to incentivize players to commit crimes that you can then investigate as a cop, otherwise you'll be doing nothing but chasing mallrats.

I also think people take PKs way too seriously. When an illegal faction gets into a PK war, we just want to go back to letting the people that aren't shooters get back to their role-play without being shot for just being affiliated to the faction. The PK war takes a few days, sometimes a few reports, voids, ROE rulebreaks, IFM involvement and a month later you're happy it's over. If you don't see a PK that isn't open and shut or at least close to open and shut then I wouldn't even bother investigating it because it is a waste of time for you and you aren't doing anybody any role-play service by role-playing with bodies for screenshot threads. Engage factions/active players more, businesses, etc. and that proves to be more fruitful.

To end this, if you want people to have three strikes & CKs as soon as that runs out, then detectives and tactical operators should get CKed out of the LSSD & the LSPD as well for trying to apprehend deranged killers if it so happens that they die during the apprehension or investigation. Right now killing a cop is a loss on all sides, and you're jumping through hoops to obtain CK permission on investigations for nothing because they'll namechange and retain their same roles.

• Upvote 7

EDIT: This post was intended to make people value their characters more and be more cautious of crime, not punishing them even harder. I don't want longer prison sentences or less points. I just believe that the expiration of criminal points still allows characters to have insanely long criminal records to the point where it's not realistic. For example, a character that has been around for three years having over sixty felony charges on file but due to expired criminal points, he's a free man.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Hart said:

EDIT: This post was intended to make people value their characters more and be more cautious of crime, not punishing them even harder. I don't want longer prison sentences or less points. I just believe that the expiration of criminal points still allows characters to have insanely long criminal records to the point where it's not realistic. For example, a character that has been around for three years having over sixty felony charges on file but due to expired criminal points, he's a free man.

There are a lot of things that are unrealistic about World in general, but the server is not to blame. I don't know anything about your character but I guarantee, just due to the fact that you're roleplaying a cop, you've probably been shot like 10 times already and you don't roleplay every single scar you've received from these GSWs.  The same way how an average illegal roleplayer in a gang faction has probably killed enough people to turn the attention of federal agencies, but no one exactly roleplays being responsible for every single PK for the sole reason that it just makes no sense to do so in most cases — instead, people roleplay involvement in shootouts and the aftermath is pretty much assumed to be unknown (as is usually the case in an IRL setting). 

I would also argue that the current system incentivizes against committing crimes for absolutely no reason as the sentences are quite harsh and there's always a risk of passing 30 points where you will face life in prison. I think the system we have in place already answers your concerns, as that is the whole purpose of the criminal point system. 

You'd also have to account for the fact that cops on this server are incredibly aggressive against people with records and often use unorthodox methods to crack down on criminals, something which is highly frowned upon in real life yet is perfectly normal here because most players can't be bothered to deal with cases. If we go ahead with your suggestion, then every single arrest will have to go through a trial where every single piece of evidence will have to be analyzed. It's just unrealistic and unfeasible.

I understand you want to pursue realism but I think realism will never truly be achieved because of the level of responsibility and dedication required from an OOC standpoint. This is just one of those things you'd have to overlook, in my opinion.

• Upvote 7
27 minutes ago, serower said:

You'd also have to account for the fact that cops on this server are incredibly aggressive against people with records and often use unorthodox methods to crack down on criminals, something which is highly frowned upon in real life yet is perfectly normal here because most players can't be bothered to deal with cases. If we go ahead with your suggestion, then every single arrest will have to go through a trial where every single piece of evidence will have to be analyzed. It's just unrealistic and unfeasible.

I understand you want to pursue realism but I think realism will never truly be achieved because of the level of responsibility and dedication required from an OOC standpoint. This is just one of those things you'd have to overlook, in my opinion.

erpp3lzmrk871.png

Edited by ZaE
  • Upvote 1

The game is fast paced and unrealistic to an extent on both sides. Criminals mostly do criminal activates in game because that's what they want to do to enjoy the game, you could equate that to the amount of hours a cop spends on duty IG instead of just doing normal things outside of being a cop. You'd expect an average criminal to have more of a rap sheet because all cops do is chase them around and all most criminals do is crime, it's a game and people do what they enjoy.

I also find it disheartening when cops say they put a lot of effort into their rp like criminals don't too. I've written over 20-50k (maybe more) words in relation to attaining different resources for my faction, I've also spent countless of hours in game setting them up IC, making connections and so on, I'd say that's a lot of effort to only to get sniffed and arrested by a random cop on a Tuesday afternoon because he thinks I look suspicious (yes this happens IRL but the probability of it happening IG is a lot higher due to the criminal/civilian ratio and the amount of time a cop spends on duty, if there were more civilians IG there would be less of a chance that a criminal gets stopped.)

If you want harsher punishments for criminals, there should also be harsher punishments for cops. There are countless times where cops just throw themselves into situations knowing that if they die it'd just be a PK and they get to respawn with all their assets, we don't have rules against this because they're "doing their job" and enjoying the game, I don't see why it should be different for a criminal rper.

Edited by grimlin
  • Upvote 3