How do you guys feel about voids?

kane

Only reason why so many voids happen is because there has been an influx of more rule breaks, stop breaking the rules and fewer voids gonna happen.

But if you see people saying /b desync or /void on car crash just because they lazy? Those people can get fucked.

I can’t think of a time I haven’t honored a void or dismissal, nearly always without administrative intervention. These range from car crashes to things people did or have on them. I’m not going to wait 45 minutes on an admin to spend 10 minutes asking me 200 questions and another 30 minutes while they have a meeting with other admins to figure out if they want to void something. I also don’t much care for people’s whining. I roleplay here for fun, not to babysit someone else’s tantrum. I’ve left scenario’s outright the second I sniff a hint of OOC attitude. It’s simple for me, roleplay has to be fun both ways. If something doesn’t interest someone I’m not going to force them into it. If someone begins to kick and scream and trash roleplay because they don’t want to go to jail, that’s fine by me. I’m not going to waste my time dragging them through everything only to put them in a closed environment (jail/prison) where they’ll just begin bothering other people. 

It’s exhausting how often people come up with drama. I personally don’t care much about dealing with people OOC, legal factions are a headache as it is with people who think they can cross IC-OOC lines. I don’t need others to do the same. That said, it’s not my job to report everyone and everything, it doesn’t interest me and has consistently proven to be an absolute pointless waste of time. It can literally take up hours if not your entire game session, and often they’ll just tell you to take it to the forums thus stretching it out weeks or months. No, simple going “okay bye” and spending that same time finding and roleplaying with someone who is interested, engaged and contributing is far more rewarding for me and the people around me.

• Upvote 6
6 hours ago, eTaylor said:

That said, it’s not my job to report everyone and everything, it doesn’t interest me and has consistently proven to be an absolute pointless waste of time. It can literally take up hours if not your entire game session, and often they’ll just tell you to take it to the forums thus stretching it out weeks or months. No, simple going “okay bye” and spending that same time finding and roleplaying with someone who is interested, engaged and contributing is far more rewarding for me and the people around me.

This reminds me of the only time i got reported on the forums, which was from a guy who saw me crash against a tree and shrugging it off since it was no big deal (I didn't crash into anyone, I just didn't wanna bother rping it like everyone does with 90% of the crashes). 

That dude was passing by, saw my nametag and just decided to forum report me over that small thing that could have been solved if he bothered PMing me in the first place. He just silently watched me, said nothing, and few hours later I got the report. I think people who are this petty and drama hungry should be shunned the hell out of the community.

• 2 months later...

More often than not, I'm the one that's being asked to void something, if it's like a minor fender bender caused by desync or lag, or if the other person has to unavoidably go due to real life obligations and so forth. 

Lately, I feel like voids has getting out of hand.

Bigger scenes and situations gets voided completely due to a minor problem or rule break that doesn't affect the outcome of said scene.

In those cases, I think it's better to hand out a warning or ajail for said offense, but don't void the scene itself.

Best way to describe voiding is as a sword with two edges. While it's important to be able to void scenes : Such as dying to a bug, major rulebreak happened, OOC intentions were behind. It's not always bad to void something if both parties approve of it and requested to an admin to be voided, especially if said scene doesn't really have much impact on the characters.

On the other hand, voiding also leaves a big gap in development, especially in major scenes that can have a big impact on how things turn out. Those include : Wars and CKs. Realistically, those types of scenarios are often well thought into and when it goes in action, this has a critical impacts around the characters involved. Whatever happens in those scenarios basically determines the character's new path, with no possibility of changing it. It happened, your character went through it, experienced it no matter how heavy it is. When this is voided, it always leaves a big mess because of the gap and the development that happened which can often cause confusion with where and how players could pick up the roleplay.

Overall, it's tricky to honestly give a stable opinion about voids due to the numerous outcomes it can cause. It's always a 50/50 thing.