Mandatory review thread for Mappers

Kappaurel

no one should have to feel forced to have a portfolio ready just to build (example) nightclub nr 2566 when the majority of them all look the exact same.
if a mapper decides they want to make a portfolio they can do that but they shouldnt have to be forced to show off their work to you or anyone else, mappers already gets spammed in DMS with requests.

Besides that if we are going to rate mappers based on experience/or ooc opinion of people, you won't get a really accurate view of that person, we all know how people get their OOC friends to give inaccurate opinions based on 1 persons experience with one person.

big fat -1 

Whenever I've hired mappers I've always gone for ones with examples of their work on display through the IC business section on the forums. It certainly helps to choose but it still shouldn't be mandatory and should be up to the mappers themselves if they want to post them or not. I'm sure if you asked they'd be happy to supply photos of previous work. 

If you are not satisfied with the mapping speak with the mapper and tell them what it is you want to be changed, I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige and work with you. It really helps mappers by having a clear plan of what you want and not being vague with the details. 

• Upvote 1

I would much prefer someone to tell me if they want xyz adding in or if there is something I missed or something they have in their head that I can’t picture. We are not mind readers and there is no shame in talking things through, I don’t have a thread but lots of pics stored on the pc so personally would be happy to share thoughs then trying to remember to update a thread. 

And ofc always ask the customer if they are satisfied! I’d prefer they were honest instead of nodding and hating something that I had no clue about that would make me feel shit after. 

As for any customers don’t be afraid to speak up it’s not rude if you tell us you don’t like xyz and means we can change it up!

I started doing some mapping after mapping my bar.  I have had a couple of jobs so far which have gone really well.

A lot of the difficulty is customers not being specific or realistic about what they want....but I always encourage people to communicate if they want anything changing, I update regularly with progress and pictures and always ensure sign off before the end of the project and payment. 

Having some kind of review system though I am not sure I buy into that.

Edited by Jolagh
  • Upvote 2

I'm not a mapper myself, but personally, I don't think it's a good idea. Mappers just try to bring their ideas to life while enjoying it because, after all, it's not a real job and they're not forced to do it in the first place, so having them posting their projects even if they might not want to isn't a really good idea, in my opinion. You can ask a mapper to showcase their previous work before hiring them. if you don't like it or they don't want to show it to you, you can simply hire someone else, but they shouldn't feel forced to always post what they do.

Edited by Diamond Player
On 8/19/2023 at 8:47 PM, ERPQM said:

The pool of mappers willing to take on jobs is incredibly small to begin with. Having it be mandatory to create a forum portfolio/review page is extra work that I think a lot of us wouldn’t be willing to do, but I could be wrong! Word of mouth and sending pictures of previous work we’ve completed tends to be good enough.

I can see how your suggestion would protect future clients from shitty situations, but at the end of the day forum reports and mapper-focused rules are there for a reason. 

As a person who does some mapping... I think this works... Having a portfolio should be suffice? Having a thread is good in the sense thst it makes sure you don't steal someone else's work, but then again it's also a royal pain in the butt to be updating it and adding to it and what not... Specially when you have your own style that you don't want showcased for everyone else to copy.