Proportional Government bonus for businesses compared to their size

Padex

Detailed Description

I'm making this suggestion from a small tangent that I arised from this suggestion (

), since I thought it would be more efficient to voice this proposal with a new suggestion instead of cluttering the former with unrelated ideas.

PM commented in that post that "have received this suggestion and will discuss this.", however I'm pretty sure they meant the overall suggestion and not my proposal, which is also why I wanted to make this a separate post.

In short, my suggestion is to make it so businesses receive a government bonus proportional to their overall size, through different brackets. By size I mean both physically, and logististically. This in tandem with allowing businesses to hire security guards from companies through the script, allowing them to pay at least part of their fees through /startshift.

Relevant Commands/Items

/openbusiness /startshift

How will it benefit the server?

The reason of this proposal is due to how every business currently receives a bonus of 1k per customer up to a limit of 40k every 48 hours, no matter the type of business, or the scale of the business. I think we can agree how this system puts bigger businesses at a disadvantages compared to smaller ones, since:
-They require more staff to pay, which usually gets paid more than their usual 4k/h through /startshift (the extra comes directly from the earnings, aka the 40k max bonus),
-They spend more on supplies,
-They have to pay for security companies, which employees are currently excluded from the /startshift 4k/h due to Property Management prohibiting them from being employed through the script, resulting in their payment coming directly from the earnings (The 40k max bonus).
-Due to their size they require a lot of staff, and because of that they tend to open less often due to having to coordinate and find days where everyone is able to attend the shift, which is not too consistent compared to a single person who can just open thair shop and run it whenever they want.

Because of what I pointed out, we have a weird situation where a small bar owner can single handedly outearn owners of venues, restaurants, any business that requires at least three or more people, including company security guards. This current system also incentivizes business owners to add pricey entry fees and services, to compensate for the large costs they have to deduct directly from the business' earnings.

If instead we allow businesses to have the script give different bonuses depending on the expenses, we'll have a more balanced environment where we have a realistic portrayal of  the overall business economy. Small businesses would open much more frequently, but with moderate earnings, while big businesses open when they can, but with big revenues.

It could be done in brackets, like small, medium and large. I'll make a rough example here, but the values can always be changed and optimize to make it more balanced for everyone:

-Small: 600 per entry up to 24k every 48 hours
-Medium: 1k per entry up to 40k every 48 hours
-Large: 2k per entry up to 80k every 48 hours

PM would assign a bracket upon accepting a property request. As for already existing businesses we would need to make a request ourselves to have the bracket match the business size, with PM approval.

I believe this would also benefit the diversity of the businesses. People would try out different ideas and can get ambitious instead of the usual bar or coffee shop, if they know they wont be at a net disadvantage when opening a bigger place.

Let me know what you think!

Edited by Padex
3 hours ago, Padex said:

PM would assign a bracket upon accepting a property request. As for already existing businesses we would need to make a request ourselves to have the bracket match the business size, with PM approval.

What exactly determines business size? Can you define this more clearly?

2 hours ago, mj2002 said:

What exactly determines business size? Can you define this more clearly?

For sure! Basically plenty of things would be taken into account:

-The number of staff eneded to operate the business efficiently
-The amount of expenses regarding supplies
-How long and how much effort does it take to run that business
-How often do you manage to open the business due to staff availability
-Whether you need to hire security or not in order to keep the business safe.

More often than not, although not necessairily, these factors do tie with the actual size of the business. For example, a small bar is far easier to manage compared to a venue used for events. The bigger the place, the more people you need to check if everything goes smoothly, etc...
This is esiecially the case if there are many employees who do different kinds of things that need coordination, like in a restaurant, or a club.

In short, the harder the business is to manage, the more government bonus they should get, because they would spend a lot more in staff, supplies, and may not be able to open as often for those very reasons

I think the, essentially free, $40,000 bonus is already generous enough to any business at the moment. I wouldn't necessarily change it since it seems to be working fine, however if I was to change it I'd suggest a complete nerf to the system in general. This is why bigger businesses that can't afford to profit soley off $40,000 should, and usually do, improvise with entry fee's, making actual brewery connections to supply their alcohol, or choose to just hire everyone in-house instead of recruiting external security. 

I'm an illegal role-player though so my opinion only comes from the outside looking in, so take with a pinch of salt.

Edited by Narcan

I don't know, 40k stacking up when opened every 2 days is 280k every 2 weeks. Seems very generous to me, and if your business is struggling with paying employment costs, consider charging an entry fee if it's suitable to the business to help cover for it. Personally think it's good as it is.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Narcan said:

I think the, essentially free, $40,000 bonus is already generous enough to any business at the moment. I wouldn't necessarily change it since it seems to be working fine, however if I was to change it I'd suggest a complete nerf to the system in general. This is why bigger businesses that can't afford to profit soley off $40,000 should, and usually do, improvise with entry fee's, making actual brewery connections to supply their alcohol, or choose to just hire everyone in-house instead of recruiting external security. 

I'm an illegal role-player though so my opinion only comes from the outside looking in, so take with a pinch of salt.

1 hour ago, Jacooob said:

I don't know, 40k stacking up when opened every 2 days is 280k every 2 weeks. Seems very generous to me, and if your business is struggling with paying employment costs, consider charging an entry fee if it's suitable to the business to help cover for it. Personally think it's good as it is.

the problem with entry fees is that they can really be a turnoff for some people, resulting in less people getting in, making it even harder for bigger businesses to obtain a profit. Plus it's not that every opening a business always gets the 40k. More often than not they don't reach half the quota.

The issue is that bigger businesses, since they open less often because of how harder they are to open once every necessary employee is available

Hiring in-house further complicates things, since you would have one more person to rely on showing up, which unfortunately it's very rarely the case, and the unlikelyness of opening increases as you have more employees to rely on.

IN the meantime a coffee shop owner can basically open whenever and fully reap the benefits. I believe that businesses that require a bigger effort to operate should get rewarded accordingly.

Edited by Padex
Just now, Padex said:

the problem with entry fees is that they can really be a turnoff for some people, resulting in less people getting in, making it even harder for bigger businesses to obtain a profit. Plus it's not that every opening a business always gets the 40k. More often than not they don't reach half the quota.

The issue is that bigger businesses, since they open less often because of how harder they are to open once every necessary employee is available

Hiring in-house further complicates things, since you would have one more person to rely on showing up, which unfortunately it's very rarely the case, and the unlikelyness of opening increases as you have more employees to rely on.

IN the meantime a coffee shop owner can basically open whenever and fully reap the benefits. I believe that businesses that require a bigger effort to operate should get rewarded accordingly.

I get your point but this is the reality of business in the real world too. Owning something that requires a ton of outgoings and coordination is challenging but you can reap higher rewards. On the flip side it's a lot easier to plummet your business into the red. If you treat it as an IC issue it's more than do-able with the right mindset; you shouldn't rely on the fourty thousand bonus to make an income.

This sounds like a really good idea but I'm of the same opinion as some of the others. The current $40,000 is already generous enough, so would have to say it's good as it is. Businesses are getting money just for people entering the property without anything else they could charge.

Edited by F34