Allow businesses to request custom billboard advertisements

mj2002

I created a suggestion recently about billboards. Unfortunately this was locked with the explanation that it isn't possible to change textures using the script, and that the correct way to request these is through LFM and the modding team. However, it also was explained later on that this feature is restricted to (legal?) factions only. Therefor, I'd like to make a new suggestion to adjust these requirements and allow for customization for non-faction businesses.

Old thread:

At present, businesses that have been around for a while can already receive minor texture enhancements in order to customize the appearance of their businesses, without the need for exterior furniture or other script solutions that could impact client performance. My suggestion here is to extend this method to billboards, and allow all businesses that have been 'established' to have the option to rent out billboards across the state.

For this to be made possible, I think a few things will need to be worked out:

• A list of billboards in the state where textures can be somewhat easily edited and thus would qualify for such a program.
  • A value determination for these billboards based on size, location, desirability, visibility, etc, etc, in order to determine the final cost/pricing to have an advertisement up at these billboards for a specific period.
  • A set of minimum requirements for advertisements that are to be supplied by businesses, in order to ensure they're suitable technically, lore-wise, roleplay quality wise, and adhere to the server rules. This should also include requirements for the business. Perhaps they can only request billboard advertisements when their business has been actively running for at least 3 months?
  • A minimum and a maximum time length at which an advertisement by a business can be up on a billboard, to avoid a small group crowding out everyone else, but also to avoid having to replace textures every single day/week. Perhaps changes only occur monthly?
  • Feel free to suggest other things that require attention here.

I hope LFM and the modding team are open to this change. A lot of the billboards are kind of useless right now, and it would be a nice way to create a more immersive environment.

• Upvote 5

I like this, but for logo's and such on businesses I think 6 months was the asked for time period. We don't want to be adding silly amounts of requests for the modding team with the high turnover of businesses, so that'll need discussing. It depends how many areas we do have for advertisements as well.

Otherwise this is a wicked idea honestly. There's areas all around where there is GTA branded advertising where we could replace them, not just billboards. If some time was spent on this I think it'll be more immersive and free advertising to deserving businesses. 

I have ideas on how to work the requests into this, but that'll need development insight as well as the modding team, but I can think of a couple ways to do it so PM are able to decide if the business is viable (probably work some automated perimeters for minimum length of time etc), let the player select an available "slot" to apply for from a list so they're not guessing, and let modding see a complete list of requests and players can upload their images.

We could charge them on a monthly lease as well, so there is actually a conscious "funding" idea behind it so the player needs to consider that aspect. The billboards would be more expensive, but the other areas would be cheaper. That'd be sick for the mall system too. Nothing mad expensive so it locks out smaller businesses, just something to keep it realistic. It also means it'll be terminated automatically if the player/business is inactive so there is less groundwork there in going through each one.

I'll forward this to the rest of PM and we'll add it to the list of discussions. Would love to see what people brainstorm here, keep it rolling!

• Upvote 4

This would be a good update I feel. Would be nice to allow long-term businesses the opportunity to advertise via billboards and make the map feel more alive and immersive with more relevant billboards to what goes on in the server.