Stealth mode and nameplates

Sabess

GTA has a 'stealth mode' thing that's mostly used in the singleplayer campaign here and there, which I believe is activated by pressing CTRL by default. You've probably accidentally done it before even if you aren't familiar; it's when your character sort of leans over and starts to walk slower. This has the effect of making your footsteps slightly quieter. 

I think it would be really neat if it also hid your nameplate in GTAW, or at least made the detection range of your nameplate a lot smaller. As unfortunate as it is, it's pretty much impossible not to at least make a subconscious note of a nameplate when you see it through a wall, or in another situation where you wouldn't be able to realistically see the person. This usually doesn't matter, but can be extremely detrimental to a realistic firefight, footchase, or etc, especially considering it's harder to stop yourself from impulsively acting on the nameplate during these high pressure situations. If stealth mode hid your nameplate, I think this would be a decent workaround to the problem. If a player wanted to, they could activate it when they're hiding in order to make it OOCly harder to locate them. 

I'm not actually 100% sure if this is doable, code wise, unfortunately. I thought I'd put the suggestion in regardless, though, so coders can take a look at it and determine whether or not it's viable to implement if they do want it as a feature. Thanks!

• Upvote 2

So far as I'm aware, stealth mode has been removed from GTAW - you can zoom in slightly and get quieter footsteps by pressing the CTRL key, but these are all client side and don't actually impact the volume of your footsteps to other people. I believe the feature was removed due to how easy it was to achieve stealth kills - a decision I don't personally understand, but whatever.

If we can't bring back stealth mode, perhaps an update to the nametag system itself is in order. I know for a fact it's possible to script in such a way that the name is only visible if you have line of sight to a person, so perhaps that would be a useful avenue to prevent metagaming a tag behind a wall.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

So far as I'm aware, stealth mode has been removed from GTAW - you can zoom in slightly and get quieter footsteps by pressing the CTRL key, but these are all client side and don't actually impact the volume of your footsteps to other people. I believe the feature was removed due to how easy it was to achieve stealth kills - a decision I don't personally understand, but whatever.

If we can't bring back stealth mode, perhaps an update to the nametag system itself is in order. I know for a fact it's possible to script in such a way that the name is only visible if you have line of sight to a person, so perhaps that would be a useful avenue to prevent metagaming a tag behind a wall.

To be honest that would work 100%, I just didn't think a line-of-sight feature would actually be possible. That proves I probably shouldn't assume that. :D

3 hours ago, Sabess said:

GTA has a 'stealth mode' thing that's mostly used in the singleplayer campaign here and there, which I believe is activated by pressing CTRL by default. You've probably accidentally done it before even if you aren't familiar; it's when your character sort of leans over and starts to walk slower. This has the effect of making your footsteps slightly quieter. 

I think it would be really neat if it also hid your nameplate in GTAW, or at least made the detection range of your nameplate a lot smaller. As unfortunate as it is, it's pretty much impossible not to at least make a subconscious note of a nameplate when you see it through a wall, or in another situation where you wouldn't be able to realistically see the person. This usually doesn't matter, but can be extremely detrimental to a realistic firefight, footchase, or etc, especially considering it's harder to stop yourself from impulsively acting on the nameplate during these high pressure situations. If stealth mode hid your nameplate, I think this would be a decent workaround to the problem. If a player wanted to, they could activate it when they're hiding in order to make it OOCly harder to locate them. 

I'm not actually 100% sure if this is doable, code wise, unfortunately. I thought I'd put the suggestion in regardless, though, so coders can take a look at it and determine whether or not it's viable to implement if they do want it as a feature. Thanks!

Its a great idea. Been thinking this for a long time. But I think the nameplate only needs to stay hidden when you hold down some button, so people would not abuse it and you could actually hide in a  bush when there is a great need for it. Or the line of sight option as suggested above(This would have to influence the /ame's too then).

EDIT : Oh and I forgot. If people wanna truly experience the realism of hiding, specially in night time then the out of sync car lights should not shine on every parked car you see. Hope this is getting fixed soon too. 1h /vpark timer would further advance the immersion in this field.

Edited by Guest
EDIT

A stealth mode that would hide your nameplate would be really handy. I've seen many situations where people RP seeing another person just because they can see their nameplate. We need a way to minimise this because it can really ruin RP sometimes.

I think it would be great if some animations hid the nameplate as well, for example crouch or prone animations (That would allow you to move). This way you can hide in bushes, foliage and short/low walls without anyone OOCly seeing your nameplate and being aware of you. And maybe the nameplate should be hidden when you get into cover or duck in a vehicle as well, makes sense at least.

Great suggestion!

• 4 weeks later...