Character Kill Application

40 minutes ago, Flow said:

I'm supporting this as far as assets can be kept and the reason is deep enough.

Now I partially agree with this and I'm glad you're open minded to the potential of a CK system. I believe that players should have a certain amount of cash given to them to buy the essentials that their new character would realistically have - i.e an apartment, house or vehicle. What I don't agree with is giving them assets that they don't currently hold. This'll prevent it being less attractive to people that think they'll have to start off with no foundation for their new roleplay.

I'm open to this but only if the criteria is rigorous to get permission for this. Like, say the subject sexually assaulted your character in the past, or scammed you out a lot of money, or ran over you leaving you with severe injuries that took you months to fully recover from, etc.

1 hour ago, Maca said:

Now I partially agree with this and I'm glad you're open minded to the potential of a CK system. I believe that players should have a certain amount of cash given to them to buy the essentials that their new character would realistically have - i.e an apartment, house or vehicle. What I don't agree with is giving them assets that they don't currently hold. This'll prevent it being less attractive to people that think they'll have to start off with no foundation for their new roleplay.

My keeping asset point is specially for big shots, like a business or organized crime tycoon, because the system could be pretty harsh if you just wipe everything down. Although I 100% agree that this would be really helpful to the server in terms of realism, because such people are supposed to act in a very careful & intricate manner, which I do see happening if this is implemented but even though a successful CK takes place for a person like this, it should only make them lose a cut or percentage of their total assets, somewhere around 20% would be a fair number imo. 

For other characters that don't have a lot to lose, it'd be alright & make sense to start with a clean slate & a new character idea with the basics as you mentioned.

Edited by Flow

Wow my earlier post got deleted apparently.

A CK should completely wipe out your stats.

If you prioritize stats over roleplay then you're a statwhore.

If you care so much about your fancy stats then simply don't do shit that will get you killed. The system is supposed to be rigorous so a troll can't just CK you out on a whim. If you get CK'ed is because you fucked up quite good. 

5 hours ago, Flow said:

My keeping asset point is specially for big shots, like a business or organized crime tycoon, because the system could be pretty harsh if you just wipe everything down. Although I 100% agree that this would be really helpful to the server in terms of realism, because such people are supposed to act in a very careful & intricate manner, which I do see happening if this is implemented but even though a successful CK takes place for a person like this, it should only make them lose a cut or percentage of their total assets, somewhere around 20% would be a fair number imo. 

There is no good reason for this at all. It would beat the point of having CKs, even if they only kept 0.00000000001% of their shit.

Here's the thing. Either CKs are implemented with complete loss of stats of the dead character or we can just face the fact that GTW is not a heavy roleplay server.

I'm fine either way.

I still believe CK's should not take away any of your assets. My reference point for this is LS-RP, where, once you were CK'ed, you would simply contact an admin, be a-jailed, log out, change your name, and log back in with your new character. Nothing was wiped at all. To improve upon this, I think it would be great to liquidise all of your character's assets so you could have a 'fresher' start.

Anyway, speaking of the topic at hand, I'm not against a system like what has been proposed. I pretty firmly believe in never taking away someone's choice to CK (or better yet, not CK), but of course there are exceptions. If someone was basically 'baiting' criminals into hostilities, it'd be perfectly reasonable to wipe that person out for good when you're able to catch them. Of course that's a bit of a worst case scenario, so I am curious where the line lies between a CK Application that would be accepted, and one that would not be.

I'm really a big fan of this. However, the only negative side I can see related to this is if the person who's being ck'ed doesn't have the money irl to buy an NC. So if this gets implemented the server should give the CK'ed person the credits or a free NC

Edited by Capology

I'd like to know more about how character-kills are handled, actually - as I haven't seen anything that states what one keeps and doesn't keep. Is the character simply deleted? If one loses progress due to a character kill, what you'll eventually have is a server in which nobody will take risks or incite conflict for fear of a CK being handed down on them - no conflict means no story.

And if we're not here to make a giant, collaborative story, we may as well just be playing an MMO.

The only way it could work is if the CK is decided not just by the admins but the person affected because nobody should be allowed to have right to kill your character, stories and all the work you put into because they decided to CK you for being a 'big meanie'. Unless you're part of a faction that have a certain statue/leverage around, then CK should be allowed under certain condition.

Instead of CK there should be alternative to take people out for temporary such as setting them up so cop arrest them and put em in jail or just wound 'em enough to send 'em in hospital for an amount of time, with possible amnesia to possibly retcon previous issue with certain character.

•For example: person A scam person B, person B is a member of a criminal group and decide to punish person A because it's not the first he scammed them. Instead of directly CK and pretty much not showing to outsider to not mess around. OOCly they agree with maybe an admin to supervise for a kidnapping, having person A beaten near death with severe trauma etc and then drop him to Mirror Park as a message (and to have him picked up to the hospital). Person A end up in hospital with amnesia and have no recollection of previous scam etc..

We're all pretty much playing on a honor system and we all agree to role-play and enjoy ourselves, giving people option to 'retcon' part of a story as a soft reset instead of directly a CK is also a plausible solution to look after. People keep their char, their asset, the story advance and change path and it create more situation as long as people play the ball, which in the end, how the bigger plan work.

CK someone just cut a story, it doesn't always improve role-play or the overall grand scheme of the narrative. 

If a player decide to go through a CK request then the asset shouldn't be lost, he agreed to end a story and play ball and go along to advance someone else story. It's a punishment to loose 'game progress' regardless of how serious the role-play is. Nobody like to slug around to get back basic asset in order to return into a proper role-play situation, fitting their taste.

Asset instead should be frozen and kept, slowly given back over a period. If the player decide, they can liquidize their asset into money instead if for example they played a biker and now they decide to play a mafioso, you wont see a mafioso riding a beefy road-bike but more into a classy sedan or a sport car.

Think that's all. Sorry for the massive wall of text and the possible repeat from someone else, i just skimmed over the posts and just wanted to give my small input into the discussion.

Edited by Th3Madjackal
3 hours ago, Smilesville said:

I'd like to know more about how character-kills are handled, actually - as I haven't seen anything that states what one keeps and doesn't keep. Is the character simply deleted? If one loses progress due to a character kill, what you'll eventually have is a server in which nobody will take risks or incite conflict for fear of a CK being handed down on them - no conflict means no story.

And if we're not here to make a giant, collaborative story, we may as well just be playing an MMO.

Great, we won't have a server full of part time superthugs or "mallrat" (LS RP term) players that out of the blue decide they can call an O.G. from a Crip set a bitch in his own hood. All because they know the worse consequence for their moronic decision is 2 minutes of sitting in the dead state.

3 hours ago, Th3Madjackal said:

The only way it could work is if the CK is decided not just by the admins but the person affected because nobody should be allowed to have right to kill your character, stories and all the work you put into because they decided to CK you for being a 'big meanie'. Unless you're part of a faction that have a certain statue/leverage around, then CK should be allowed under certain condition.

Instead of CK there should be alternative to take people out for temporary such as setting them up so cop arrest them and put em in jail or just wound 'em enough to send 'em in hospital for an amount of time, with possible amnesia to possibly retcon previous issue with certain character.

•For example: person A scam person B, person B is a member of a criminal group and decide to punish person A because it's not the first he scammed them. Instead of directly CK and pretty much not showing to outsider to not mess around. OOCly they agree with maybe an admin to supervise for a kidnapping, having person A beaten near death with severe trauma etc and then drop him to Mirror Park as a message (and to have him picked up to the hospital). Person A end up in hospital with amnesia and have no recollection of previous scam etc..

We're all pretty much playing on a honor system and we all agree to role-play and enjoy ourselves, giving people option to 'retcon' part of a story as a soft reset instead of directly a CK is also a plausible solution to look after. People keep their char, their asset, the story advance and change path and it create more situation as long as people play the ball, which in the end, how the bigger plan work.

CK someone just cut a story, it doesn't always improve role-play or the overall grand scheme of the narrative. 

If a player decide to go through a CK request then the asset shouldn't be lost, he agreed to end a story and play ball and go along to advance someone else story. It's a punishment to loose 'game progress' regardless of how serious the role-play is. Nobody like to slug around to get back basic asset in order to return into a proper role-play situation, fitting their taste.

Asset instead should be frozen and kept, slowly given back over a period. If the player decide, they can liquidize their asset into money instead if for example they played a biker and now they decide to play a mafioso, you wont see a mafioso riding a beefy road-bike but more into a classy sedan or a sport car.

Think that's all. Sorry for the massive wall of text and the possible repeat from someone else, i just skimmed over the posts and just wanted to give my small input into the discussion.

So in other words, you just want to decide when bad things happen to you?

CKs and keeping your assets... is pretty much just like not even CKing. If I am a member of a faction and was CKed, but kept my assets I would pretty much be in the same position I was. Do you think this is a good idea?

I am a heavily connected drug dealer. I sell cocaine to gangs for ridiculously low prices. Armando doesn't like that because he can't afford to sell drugs for that low without losing profit. What does he decide to do?

Remove me as I am his competition. 

He goes through the process of applying for a CK, providing whatever is needed and waits for the admins decision. It gets accepted. If I find out he is after me and get him before he gets me, he is CKed. Luckily for Armando he kills me. I NC and keep all of my assets... and continue to flood the streets with drugs for the low.

What a waste of Armando's time. I would rather lose it all. Who cares about assets. Care about the storyline. And no, your character being CKed is not the end of the servers storyline.

Edited by Portz