How to improve crime rp

Max3

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

My only rant on illegal RP is that I see far too many 'criminal' or ghetto characters coming into a gun store asking for a gun without a license, because sure, that happens a lot IRL? Like, no-one has a fear element of them being reported to the LSPD or anything just a 'ay, can you sell me a gun without a license?' this is far too common for me, ngl. 

Never heard of this happening but i can see where you comefrom

20 minutes ago, Rumbunctious said:

The last thing we need is to invite feedback from a pool of players that have no idea what they're talking about. These threads are detrimental in that all they do is cause further toxicity and paint illegal RP in a bad light to the legal side of the server, which happens to be the majority. Unless you can explain to me exactly how exaggerated statements such as "I get robbed literally every single time I try to rent a place" are in any way constructive, and don't simply serve to spark further drama?

Leave the policing of illegal RP to FM - I understand it's a small team, but as far as I can see Knoxville has done nothing but a good job thus far.

It wasn't intended to spark any drama, what-so-ever. It is used to reflect that players should seek alternative forms of roleplay beyond simply robbing players. I'm not even overexaggerating the claim, as all of my characters have been robbed in Davis for minuscule reasons. You'll probably bash me for stating which characters and which situations, like before, but I can gladly list the case studies, if needed, with context. I had actually reported one incident on this issue on the forums. I've been roleplaying in Davis for six months, and it hasn't been this bad until recently. During the majority of the occasions, it was caused by players that do not possess a faction thread within the forums. Nontheless, it's still the topic of criminal R.P.

It is a constructive argument when combined with my other arguments within the thread, suggesting that illegal roleplayers within Davis should attempt to diversify their R.P. beyond simply narcotics and firearms.

We're not policing illegal R.P., we're merely producing recommendations and suggestions in order to enhance the state of illegal R.P. 

P.S. All of my responses have been in regards to the criminal R.P. in Davis, not criminal R.P. as a whole. 

Edited by DLimit

I was not a member of this group of roleplayers. However, two of my characters would often interact with these characters along Brouge St. These players prioritized on character development without having to continuously resort to robberies as a means towards attaining the "thrill" of being a criminal roleplayer. 

Another good example of criminal R.P.:

Edited by DLimit
15 minutes ago, Rumbunctious said:

Who exactly are you trying to get through to on these threads? Because if it's the players who are apparently robbing you every time you attempt to rent a place, then this thread is not going to be the turning point that gets through to them; especially if they don't understand a concept as basic as character development. If you're trying to get through to FM, then I can assure you, they already know what's what, and they know it far better than you, me, or anyone else in this thread.

And that's why these threads are never positive. I'm sure the intentions are good, but they don't serve as a point of discussion, they're an echo chamber. Me good, you bad. Unfortunately stroking your own ego is not a discussion, nor is bringing up suggestions that you certainly didn't "produce." To produce is to create, what you're doing is reiterating what every illegal RPer reading this thread already knows.

Additionally, if you think I'm "bashing" you, you're painfully mistaken. I'm simply pointing out that this server needs players leading by example - and unfortunately the pool of players able to do that is pretty small. What the server doesn't need is yet another thread where people complain about how bad illegal RP is.

I haven't assessed a single post within this topic targeting any specific individuals on the matter. You reject those that list examples or case studies of decent roleplay, then proceed to claim that individuals should "lead by example'. How does one lead by example without listing those examples? After all, guidance is the key towards enhancing roleplay within the server, which is why individuals are devising ideas and listing methods towards improving criminal R.P. within "GTA: World". 

I've been flawed with roleplaying throughout my experience in the world of roleplay. I was guided by reading forum posts, interacting with other players, and applying real-life situations within the world. I was called out on my flaws and then corrected with an alternative method towards approaching these situations. Hence, the learning process does include listing the flaws, alongside with presenting a method towards improvement... which is why the "flaw" is "mass-robbing and mass-PKs" while the solution is to diversify criminal R.P. beyond simply shoot-outs and armed robberies. Players have listed examples from the "Hustler Crips" to "Brouge Street Kids" to display alternative forms of criminal R.P.... It's beyond just "Circle-jerking each other" while degrading others.

Why not assess these examples and critique them as roleplayers, explaining why and how their R.P. brings life to the criminal world or not? Much more effective than claiming that people are circle-jering each other's egos. Just like the scholarly world, one should critique these examples objectively without any personal attacks.

Edited by DLimit
33 minutes ago, Rumbunctious said:

With every reply you accuse me of saying or doing something I didn't, so I'll keep this short and concise. When did I reject those that list examples or case studies?

To clarify, there's a big difference between circlejerking and leading by example. The first is saying "this character is great." The latter is saying "this character is great, because..."

You're correct, it is necessary to lead by example by stating the reasons as to why a character is deemed "great". Then again, I'd prefer to simple argue the reasons as to why a person would prefer to use alternative methods towards resolving conflict without a firearm:

Jevaun "Ras" Jones, a fourty-year old Posse member and leader that was recently released from a twenty-five year prison sentence, was walking along the sidewalk right outside of the complex that consisted of the "Azteca" faction. He approached two males that were conversing about an attractive female from high-school (their development). He was attempting to purchase one gram of marijuana, as he was an avid consumer of the substance. After completing the purchase, an intoxicated and overweight Hispanic local screams "Fucking N*gger" at Ras. Ras turns around and confronts the individual, yelling at him for using the term. Ras demands for the individual to apologize. However, the intoxicated Hispanic local continues to curse at Ras, prior to threatening to lynch him. Ras pulls out his blade, screaming "Wah 'dee fohk yuh say, bredrin?!? I'm bouta slice up yuh face fa' talkin' like so!". Mind you, Ras was already armed with a firearm. However, he believed that he could intimidate the entity without resorting to brute force. The Spanish person backed off, as he began to apologize, in fear for his life. The individual had even went on his knees, begging for Ras to spare his life. Ras placed the blade back in his pocket. The person began to explain his reasoning for being racist, stating that he's been having issues at home, causing him to displace his anger on to Ras.

Ras was the type of person that desired to increase the living conditions of Davis, while also attempting to form alliances with the local sets to push fourth his trafficking operations. Thus, he offered to spare the local's life and become his friend as long as he discontinued consuming alcohol. He had even offered the local one-gram of marijuana in exchange with throwing the bottle of Tequila in the garbage bin, as Ras considered it to be "The Devil's Piss". He complied, ending the conflict while providing Ras with another loyal customer for his trafficking ring. The entire conversation shifted towards Ras and the local discussing why alcohol is used as a tool by "Babylon" to destroy "the poor people" for profit.

In the end, Ras only desired to intimidate the individual. He did not have to touch the person in order to be respected. Finally, he did not resort to robbing the person for his wealth as he'd prefer to attain a long-term customer that could provide him with passive-income through marijuana deals than to simply attain a quick buck from a robbery. 

Mechanically speaking, the entire interaction was not based on attaining a single dollar or item from the person. I've witnessed situations in-which the victim would always lose their possessions, regardless as to whether they are submissive or resisting... It's excessive. 

Backstory: Ras already shook hands with the leaders of Azteca, preventing any conflict from escalating during that incident. Ras was a hot-headed individual with a lot of experience within both the streets and the prison system. Despite having a temper, he'd always sympathize with those that were submissive or respectful towards him.

I'm not attempting to boast about my first character on this server. Instead, I'm listing an example of a situation in-which I had the opportunity to rob or execute a character. Instead, my character chose to resort to intimidation and fear as a means towards attaining his respect without even touching the person. Afterwards, it de-escalated towards attempting to eliminate a character's alcoholism by substituting it with marijuana, as alcohol almost lead to this person being stabbed with a blade.

More background: The Shower Posse always resorts to fear and intimidation as a means towards attaining money, respect, and power. Yet, Ras has never shot any one, as his words spoke for itself.

Edited by DLimit

I, personally, believe that The Brouge St. kids were very effective at roleplaying the criminal aspect of life. Most of their R.P. revolved around joking, laughing, getting high, rumours, F.B. beefs that lead to fights, discussing family problems etc... I'd vouch for examining their "Character Stories" as it exceeds beyond robberies, turf wars, and homicide. Each character was VISIBLY UNIQUE,  as one could easily differentiate characters upon meeting them. Byrd was the Hip Hop emcee, Sammy was the primary narcotics dealer with psychological issues, Sofia was the innocent younger sibling of a strict brother with family issues at home etc... It was more than just "a group of thugs that are armed and dangerous... don't go near that place, or you'll get robbed" type of situation. It wasn't a "gang", but it was a group of teenagers engaging in the criminal world due to their lower-income status etc...

I'd recommend assessing the thread for an in-depth analysis of their roleplay.

P.S. Neither of my characters lived on Brouge St at that time. However, one character from Hillside Trece and one character from Forum Drive Piru would often interact with the teenagers on that street, during that time... It was the highest-quality "Davis-based" R.P. that I've witnessed in a long time.

Edited by DLimit
2 hours ago, DLimit said:

We get it. You loved "Ras".

Your one character does not set a bar for RP on this server. Your entire argument in the last six of these threads has been "People are doing X and I did Y, therefor, X is bad". What might have been bad RP for your character isn't always bad RP for a different character. 

• Cara locked this topic