Some odd behavior, it seems

Acid

Try the above (last post prev page), disable in game DOF and turn motion blur strength down massively to a quarter or half.

Turn shadows to High from Very High.

Make sure drivers are updated w. nVidia (I recommend manually downloading them off of their site, not GF Experience, because it tanks performance often).

If you have 2 monitors (or more), don't run your browser on YT or with a bunch of tabs in the background, especially in windowed borderless mode.

If you have a messy desktop with lots of stuff on it, clean it - for some reason this creates lag in games.

Ideally also try Memory Cleaner from Koshy John (Google it) to trim processes often.

Very important: 

Disable Xbox Game Bar / DVR in Windows 10 or 11. Go IG on Rage, Windows Key + G, look for Game DVR, make sure "Record game in the background" is off. Set it to off and save then relog.

Edited by liq
  • Thanks 1

Having huge FPS drops at 160+ FPS is normal GTA5 behavior, this game isn't made for these framerates. I have the issue once I sit above 150 FPS I have the occasional frame drop all the way to 90 before it brings it back up resulting in a brief stutter, or sometimes even freeze. This issue is far worse on Windowed Borderless.

1. A little advice to add ontop of what the rest has given. If you're running W10/W11, make sure you search for Core Isolation and you disable that, it's a performance hog for gaming, this is often enabled by default on W10.

2. Make sure you disable everything Xbox Game Bar related like Liq said, you've got a NVIDIA card so you got the benefits of Shadowplay.

3. People often give the advice of updating drivers, but if previous drivers have given you a better experience just go back to those don't stay on the latest because the latest ain't always the greatest, NVIDIA isn't perfect. 

4. Brainlessly put your PC's power plan on high performance.

5. If playing in Windowed Borderless, and your monitor is GSYNC compatible make sure you enable GSYNC for windowed borderless games in the NVIDIA Control Panel, under the GSYNC Monitor settings (enable for windowed and fullscreen) if you haven't done this yet, this will smoothen out your gameplay.

Always play with the fix available in Baboon's discord, assuming you already do as you are a QuantV user.

You'll always keep some sort of stutters, or frame drops.. though with most of the suggestions in this post you'll reduce the problem by a lot.

Edited by Sterren

reduce msaa and play at 144z. I had similar issues (mainly screen tearing and extreme fps drops inside of custom interiors) on a rtx 3070ti, this seemed to of fixed it. Rage MP overall is not amazingly optimized - its just one of those things unfortunately. 

If you haven't tried this, I SERIOUSLY recommend it. It changed my FPS by around 20-40+ depending on the area. I was using default/suggested settings for a long time and they just never gave me the performance I desired. However, I will say, in the last month it seems that for no apparent reason, my performance has tanked. I suspect it may be related to me updating my drivers for Diablo 4, but I'm unsure.

• 4 months later...