[QoL] Cycle Through Speech (Hotkeys) + F3 /w & /lowto by clicking on characters.

Detailed Description

- Changeable hotkeys available in /settings that allows you to cycle through different speech modes. When selecting a specific speech mode with the hotkey, it allows you to fluidly go through different speech states without typing out the corresponding commands each and every time, once selected, the speech mode is toggled.

/w

/low

/t

/s

/r(radio)

/f(faction)

/b

/cv (While in a vehicle)

/bv (While in a vehicle)

At the press of a key you'd be able to cycle through and select either speech modes and keep them toggled. As a result, whenever you're typing, the text output will be what you selected. If you selected shouting, you don't need to type /s every time, you can just type regularly.

Of course, a discreet visual indicator should be present to let you know which speech mode you've selected.

I think it would be great, in addition to be able to speak directly to players with the F3 player-selection function we currently have. Want to whisper or talk to someone specific without typing their names every time? Click on them with F3 and select the option you want, such as /w and the "/to" functions.

Example: John Doe is right next to me, and I want to /w or /lowto John Doe. I press F3, hover my mouse on them, and right click. A drop-down menu shows me the different options to whisper, talk or /low (or /s) to them directly instead of having to type out the corresponding command and their first name each time. All I have to do next is just speak to John Doe and it'll automatically output what I selected.

Where the F3 function comes into play with the speech mode cycling, is that you'd be able to keep the /w speech mode selected and not have to click on the corresponding player every time, all you'd have to do is to select /w and click on the player and select 'whisper' once, and now you'd continuously be able to whisper to them as long as you don't cycle out of it. The same principle goes with /lowto for example.

Relevant Commands/Items

- Speech Hotkeys (changeable in /settings) for example [Left Arrow] to go back and [Right Arrow] to go forward in the selection to not having to cycle through every speech mode each time.

- Being able to press F3 on a character to whisper/talk to them directly.

How will it benefit the server?

In my opinion, this could greatly increase the fluidity that players would experience with typing, if this system were to be added. Instead of having to manually type out the different commands, they'd be able to press a hotkey and cycle through those types of speeches.

The F3 addition would be great for the exact same reason, it's a QoL addition that works with the speech mode cycling as it allows players an alternative to typing out the commands each time, and may increase the rate at which people RP and talk to each other.

The best part of it all? It's not forced on players! Any player can opt out of this system by simply typing out the commands just like we're currently doing, if they feel like they don't like the addition.

Edited by Mistery14
  • Upvote 1
On 9/15/2022 at 8:07 AM, JHP said:

I didn't read any of this. But a radial for shout, low, and normal speech would be fine.

A radial to select a speaking mode? That's not a bad idea either actually if that's what you mean.

Either way something that allows people to toggle speaking 'volume' and such would be great.

• 3 months later...