RageMP legality?

Aeon

As long as RageMP stays true to it's values, and not take another road like other software modifications, we (and RageMP in general) will be fine. If they don't dish into areas that they aren't suppose to: such as GTA: Online or their actual community base that generates revenue, then I don't see why it could matter. Just don't mess with their production or revenue projection, otherwise Rockstar (or it's parent companies) would dish out chunk change to have it taken down. [And by chunk change, $1.98 Billion in sales alone. TT's market is roughly $3.3 Billion, while the franchise is worth $300 ~ $400 Million alone. I do think they would attack the wrong software developers for doing the wrong things, it's business.]

2 hours ago, Topinambour said:

It's a bit more complicated than that, but generally speaking, it's in a very complex legal gray zone. So far, there have been a lot of publishers sending "cease & desist" takedown letters, but I don't know of many that actually went to court. The Cease & Desist is mostly intimidation and bluffing, A company can send a cease & desist, but be told by a judge that they can go fuck themselves.

Add to that the fact that the RageMP devs are located in Russia, where most laws are actually made up on the spot lol, and copyright laws aren't really a big priority there.

So, it's probably not legal but it's in a complicated area, which means if a case went to court, the judge would have to interpret the law by himself, all in a very complex context (numeric copyright in gaming with client / server models and all that shit). So RageMP being taken down is entirely possible, but it's somewhat unlikely. Rockstar doesn't have that much money to gain out of it, but a lot of time to waste, all that for 500 players. 

What are you talking about? Nervous announced he would buy FiveRP, that's why it got shut down lol 

^ And this. Even if they did proceed to attack a modification like RageMP, I highly doubt it would be successful it terms of legality. GTA5 is an expensive and more advanced game than San Andreas, so I support the moral of not working alongside with cracked versions of the game. (Not to sure how that works, but yeah.)

There is another aspect, which is monetization. Some private servers got shut down, but usually they heavily monetized their server, as in: they sold items, gold, ... and other in-game assets for profit (not just to pay for the server). Usually, those were the ones targeted, it's easier to justify ("they make profit out of our intellectual property" works quite well in a court). 

RageMP doesn't do that, and as far as I know, GTAW doesn't plan on doing that, so we should be good. If GTAW ever starts selling in-game $ or cars for real cash in order to turn in a profit, they could be in R*'s crosshairs though ^^ 

i'm fairly sure scripthook(?) got a cease and desist order(can't really remember the name, might've been scripthook)

this resulted in a large backlash from the community, n rockstar just ended up apologizing n just leaving the mod be

E: Found it, it was about OpenIV

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-15-popular-gta-mod-openiv-receives-cease-and-desist-from-take-two

E2: AAAALSO, i doubt RageMP will get into trouble, it just hooks into GTA5 and doesnt modify it in any way, like GTMP.

Though w/ OpenIV you could extract all the resources of GTA5 and shit.

Edited by hank

I think he refer to FiveM which was the first MP mod being worked on a long time ago that got slammed by cease and desist by the publisher, not rockstar*.

ScriptHook got slammed because it is used by cheat mod menu which were used in GTA:O to generate stuff leading to T2 to take action (no touchy their munee) but i think it went nowhere as it was intended for SP.

The mods and such had lot of back and forth but it was 'kinda' agreed that, as long as it doesn't touch GTA:O, affect it in anyway to give player unfair advantage (ie gib em munee so they aren't tempted to buy shark card) it's kinda ok.

Guest Ingram

I highly doubt somebody who's going to invest so much into something going to take that risk without receiving an official response. Don't you think? other mods perhaps were a hoax.

fivem got threatened by take-two's legal team as they straight up stole gta v's native netcode and modified it to allow the creation and play of private servers, which take two didn't like

ragemp and gt-mp and gta:network are/were built from the ground up and didn't steal anything. theyre fine. 

Edited by Haitian
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1

from what I understood there were issues with one of the clients, i forgot which. basically because the client allowed cracked versions to play the multiplayer version of the game freely (thru the client ofc) and they spoke to the creator i forgot who it was at the time cus its been a long time now, so they gave him like 2 days i think to make it so only legal copies of the game would be able to play. that didnt happen because the creator claimed he slept for 2 days straight or somethin like that and then they shut down. im not sure if its 100 percent accurate but thats what i heard. 

ragemp does not seem to be breaking any laws

If Take-Two feels like these private-multiplayer mods are encroaching on their market (I.E. making it so people play GTA:O less, reducing sales of Shark Cards), they'll send a seize-and-desist. No laws, EULA or anything has to be broken for them to do that. They won't even have to take legal action, because as soon as the devs of any mod get the S&D, they cave. -MAYBE- these Russians are buried enough to be semi-untouchable, but I doubt it.

If Take-Two wants us gone, we're going.

But OT, RageMP is a mod for GTA:V. It actively combats piracy of the original product. It does not break any laws.

This can be a problem until Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out. After that game I'm 100% sure that rockstar will stop updates to GTA V and they won't really care anymore. They have made their money from this game, future is the priority

Edited by Rozi
  • Upvote 1