Invulnerability when logging in/spawning a vehicle

Short description:

A very short window of time where a player is not vulnerable to damage while spawning into the game (either logging in normally or after a crash) and also spawning a vehicle.

Detailed description:

After logging into the game, your character would be immune to any physical damage from the game world for a short window of time (less than 10 seconds). This could potentially also apply while spawning a vehicle.

Commands to add: N/A

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server?

I have seen, and also experienced, instances in which I've been killed (or put into a wounded state) after spawning into the game or spawning a vehicle. Examples of these differing occurrences include:

- Timing-out/crashing while driving on a busy road, and then being run over by a car after logging back into the game.

- Timing-out/crashing while driving a vehicle, then spawning in and being crushed by the vehicle that was being driven prior.

- Logging into an interior and glitching through the floor because it hasn't loaded properly.

- Spawning a vehicle from a parking space, only for one of the vehicle to land on top of my character and crush them to death.

- Spawning a vehicle near another vehicle, wherein one vehicle lands on top of the other and blows it up somehow (e.g. spawning a car near a motorbike)

- Random desync issues with vehicles spawning that lead them to harm other players, usually by throwing other nearby vehicles around.

I believe this would be beneficial for everyone as it would reduce the frequency of the above mishaps from occurring (however rare they may be) and subsequently reduce the need to report spawn-related deaths to admins and ask for revival, ask for refunds on the forums after losing items, and mitigate any worry about RP being spoiled because someone died. 

Additional information:

In addition to the above, I believe a slight delay (2-5 seconds) should be considered when spawning after logging in/crashing and spawning a vehicle. The player could be momentarily frozen and a message indicating the the player/vehicle is being spawned could appear for a few seconds (for example, "Please wait..." for spawning, and "Retrieving parked vehicle..." for spawning vehicles). Thereafter the invulnerability is activated and they would be unfrozen. When the spawn is complete they would be made vulnerable to damage once more.

• 5 months later...

Going to need some more community opinion on this one, due to the rollback some responses may have been lost. I for one would see this being useful to prevent players from being killed by bugs when entering or exiting properties etc but it would have to take into account any bw states during log in to prevent someone abusing this to get out of the bw state.

• Ribsey locked this topic