[LSNN] Democratic Senator Reyes introduces the Defense of Justification Bill, includes child discipline; Democratic Senator Jones disagrees: "We live in a culture that aims to protect the vulnerable. The proposed legislation is vague and dangerous"

5yHwzO3.png

Y8l4IDT.png

Democratic Senator Reyes introduces the Defense of Justification Bill, includes child discipline; Democratic Senator Jones disagrees: "We live in a culture that aims to protect the vulnerable. The proposed legislation is vague and dangerous"

BY DENNIS SIDWELL

Los Santos, SA - On the 17th of May, 2021, Democratic Senator Valeria Reyes introduced the Defense of Justification Bill of 2021 in the State Senate of San Andreas, on a regular Senate session. A bill that defines a person's ability to use force to defend themselves in all situations.

bAa9Lqq.png

Valeria Reyes in the LSNN studio on the 14th of May, 2021

"I actually just introduced a bill an hour ago to enhance the penal code in regards of crime related to firearm regulation. There's a lot I want to do, Dennis. Lower crime rate in the city, help the lower and middle class economically and address issues in our State that need to be discussed", said Ms. Reyes in the interview for LSNN. 

** The article includes a screenshot of the introduced bill in the Senate. **

(Discussion) S.B. 36 - Defense of Justification Bill of 2021 - State Senate - GTA World Forums - GTA V Heavy Roleplay Server

President Pro Tempore Frank Ernst forwarded the bill to the Public Safety Committee, then Democratic Senator Diana Jones publicly expressed her concerns and disagreements with the bill. 

"Mister President. I would like to draw attention to section one of chapter two. Forgive me if I misunderstand, but... does this bill aim to legalize the battery of children and adults up to the age of twenty-one by their legal guardians and teachers?", started her speech Ms. Jones.

"I have some concerns to raise, under advisement of my assistants. This bill, as per my understanding, would legalize the battery of adults up to the age of twenty-one, if their parent 'reasonably believes it necessary to maintain discipline or to promote the welfare of such person'. I would first like to address the age. Putting the limit at twenty-one years old... confuses me. A twenty-one year old is not a child. An eightteen year old is not a child. To quote my advisor: "Allowing a parent to commit battery upon a competent adult is unconscionable and probably constitutionally questionable. The legal implications of this are bad for a lot of reasons. For example, can a parent use force to compel a child to violate other rights they have as an adult, such as medical privacy, if they reasonable believe it will promote the welfare of such person?" Then I would like to address reasonable belief. Parenting is a... subjective topic. Reasonable belief is therefore a very loosely defined term. There is no consistent standard to it. I realize I near the end of my time, but this is but one section of this bill. Before I touch upon any others, such as physical violence upon inmates, I would very much like to hear from Senator Reyes about the things I have mentioned. For perhaps, I am wrong entirely, and I have misunderstood gravely. I genuinely hope that I have", said Ms. Jones in the Senate.

"Colleagues, I second the gentlewoman's concerns. The legislation, as its written, seems to permit physical force against children and "incompetent" persons for the purposes of discipline", said President Pro Tempore, Republican Frank Ernst.

"Mister President, I believe Senator Jones is not taking into consideration that the entire bill, including the section that Senator Jones mentions, falls under the umbrella of self-defense with the purpose of defining one’s ability to use force to defend themselves or others. To answer the colleague’s question, this bill does absolutely not permit the beating of a child, and a parent is not privileged to use punishment that is brutal or beastly under any circumstance, nor should the use of physical force be extended beyond the child's endurance. The mentioned section is written to address the use of force against children, whilst also taking section 3 of chapter 1 in consideration as conditionals. Use of force by the caretaker may be used against the child to prevent injury or protect the well-being of themselves, others, or the child themselves. Maintaining discipline is included in the section to allow the use of force if they deem it necessary of disciplining the child, which is more common in some cultures than others. The use of force must always be considered reasonable however, and whether it is considered reasonable or not would be determined by the court, whilst also the age of the child and the context of the situation should be taken into account. There is however no excuse nor justification for blatant abuse or battery, and this statute would by no means justify such. Concluding mister President, I am confused of the ongoing discussion, as the bill was referred to the public safety committee yet neither you nor senator Jones are members of the committee. Are you thus moving the bill for a full senate body discussion and consideration instead? Don’t get me wrong, I would be in favour of such and I’d like more time granted to Senator Jones so she’s able to respond", said Ms. Reyes.

"Not in our culture, Senator Reyes. Mister President, I will stick to my points; the proposed legislation is vague, and in its current state, dangerous. The Senator from Chamberlain Hills stated that 'maintinging discipline is included in the section to allow the use of force if they deem it necessary of disciplining the child, which is more common in some cultures than others'. Not in our culture. We live in a culture that aims to protect the vulnerable. We don't leave it up to a court to decide long after a child has been beaten whether or not the swing of their fathers' fists was reasonable or not. We stop those fists from flying in the first place. I will not condone any form of legislation that aims to add even the slightest approval of child abuse. No. I will suggest that the senator reviews her bill and corrects it, to protect people instead of putting them in harm's way", said Ms. Jones.

Y8l4IDT.png

3jwUUYH.png

> Comments are enabled

Username: 

Comment:

Edited by YB
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
  • Shvag locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic