When the string broke on the Balalaika, and it stopped playing.

Mahiko

So a little prologue, this is the story of my character, Oleg Dmitriev. It's going to be partially written, and partial screenshots. I've prepared chapter one with a little background information on him as a person, and I plan to expand with chapter two soon on his arrival in Los Santos and his first experiences, from then I'll be posting screenshots regularly, with small written stories, giving context. Or without, leaving you to piece it together into a bigger picture.
I hope you enjoy it! As it's my first character thread ever, showcasing my development over time and any criticism and or help is welcome in my inbox!

Grand_Theft_Auto_V_Screenshot_2021.01.07_-_05.38.28.78.png

Chapter 1.

The sun is rising, his warm breathe sends out a cloud of hot air into the morning. A quiet clicking is heard as the man slowly reels in his fishing line for yet another time. His head, covered in a Ushanka, protecting him from the cold of the harbor. A man stands fishing, he doesn’t look like he’s from around the place, he’s the only one out that early, the only one fishing. The occasional semi-truck passes by to a depo as he continues reeling in his line and tossing it out again. No one questions why he’s there, why he’s fishing, why he’s wearing a funny hat? He’s an immigrant, minding his own damn business, in the Americas favorite way. By shutting the fuck up.

His name is Oleg Dmitriev (Олег Дмитриев), why is he here? You ask? Good question, he is from Sevastopol on the island of Crimea, Russia? Ukraine? It’s politics. Why has he left? That is another good question.

If you ask the man? He’s going to tell you a story about how his brother got drafted to fight against the pro-Russian rebels, how he got injured and bound to a wheelchair. How his girlfriend, got shot whilst visiting she was visiting Oleg’s brother with Oleg at the front lines. Sounds pretty cliché doesn’t it? The usual war story? Yeah, it is. It is a cover, but we’ll get back to that. Like everyone in life. We pick a profession, in Eastern Europe. Construction is a damn good profession, either you play it clean, or you do a little on the side for the mob. Stealing materials, maybe wiring a building wrong so it burns down and there is a fat insurance to collect. I mean, we have all got our bad days, don’t we?

Now you are left thinking, cover? I put it interestingly. It caught your attention, didn’t it? What is the man hiding, you think? Well, his story starts out all fine and dandy. Working construction, doing side-gigs on the side making an extra paycheck here and there, doing a few dirty deeds. Nothing major, right? As long as no one got hurt, am I right? Well. Let’s flash back to his brother, you know the one that ended in the wheelchair after being a war hero? Yeah, not so much war hero. More so, got into a big debt for the mob as he fucked up when he was supposed to leave a gate open for them, for them to.. Let us call it borrow some materials from the construction site without asking, and they got caught.   

Now, nothing goes free in this world, right? Specially when dealing with the toasty types who are covered in tattoo’s, do a whole lot of juice and got the temper of a Chinese fire cracker.

His brother you ask? Yeah, didn’t end well for him, they ended up shoving him off the top of a scaffolding while trying to convince him to pay up for their losses, and he ended up in a wheel chair. Now you’re probably asking, how did he die? Well, imagine going from being able to get laid, having a good time with your friends and going for a jog. To sitting in a wheel chair? Well, some people can’t cope with the psychological effects that come with the loss of limbs, and… You could call it a cowards way out. None the less, it was his way out. So skipping over that touchy subject lightly, let’s love onto his girlfriend.

Svetlana, or mostly just Lana. Great girl, bright future. Great looks, open minded. You know, the whole package that every guy dreams of in a girl? Yeah, there you go, you got the picture. Let’s pace back a moment, remember how I went on that she got shot at the frontlines earlier? Guess you could call it a twisted truth? Well, let’s move back to Lana. Bright girl, studying to become a lawyer, maybe a little too nosey sometimes? But aren’t we all if we’re passionate? Well, she didn’t mind Oleg’s side gig with the mob. Afterall, it’s pretty common down there, but the debt that his brother had? Bingo, you caught on. ‘It stays in the family.’ And guess who was lucky enough to inherit it? Right Oleg, and guess who couldn’t pay the debt? Right, Oleg.

Back to Lana, she only knew half the truth, and she decided to snoop around the death. Sadly? Debt and uncovering the death of someone who was in debt, usually don’t go too well together. Flash a little forward, and there’s a muzzle flash and a girl laying on the floor choking in her own blood. Little graphic, but it was the reality and he couldn’t do anything to save her.

Now we’re dealing with a man in shambles, first? His brother, then his girlfriend? Now? The girlfriend’s mother is blaming him.

The snowball is rolling down the hill pretty fast, and it’s growing quickly. So, the debt? Yeah, it’s still there. Paying it off? Probably not? Working off it off? Might end terribly.  So let’s take a step back and look at the situation from a broader point of view.

Humans, they got two modes of dense, right? Either they pick up the fight. But who the fuck fights the mob? Right? They got guns, lots of them? Goons? And being sensible isn’t a trait of theirs, right?

Second option? Get the fuck out of there, before you end up six feet under like the rest of the people you love.

Okay, so we’ve established. His life is pretty fucked up at this point, feelings? Well, in Eastern Europe and Russia, you don’t really show them as man. You are tough, and you don’t smile a whole lot. And you are probably wondering why this isn’t a story about the love to his family, how he was going to avenge his girlfriend by becoming John Wick and fucking up the whole mob. Right? Well, it’s real fucking life here, and that’s a fucking suicide mission. At the age of 22? That’s not really what you’re looking for in life, even if you are edgy kid who’s willing to go the extra mile.

So, option two. Running.

What do we do when we need to get the fuck out of somewhere, and we’ve got no cash for a plane ticket? Well, we offer our skills in exchange for something. Oleg? Pretty damn good electrician, and handy with a pair of pliers and a wrench. So you’re thinking, what is he going to do. So many options, so little time? How does he get the fuck out of there in a rush?

The word we’re looking for is, container ship, they sail around the world and they’re always looking for crew. It isn’t the best paying job, but? It’s good enough for someone wanting to leave somewhere unnoticed.

Edited by Mahiko
  • Upvote 1