Remove nametags

Cici

@St3fan[NL] @Cici Now that's a good question. But there's a solution to every problem. 

I am against the use of nametags. Reasons: People tend to metagame a lot, especially during war. What's the point of roleplay changing outfits after committing crimes ( leave no tracks nor traces ) if people are focusing more on nametags than skins. 

When they come to your neighborhood or wherever. They're not after the skins you wear or your face-recognition. It's just the nametags they look out for. The second they spot your name, they begin roleplaying recognizing "It's that certain person, they were after" and what not.

With this RoE going on, it can only be fair to remove nametags. Makes it harder for all parties. We wouldn't wanna make things too easy, now, would we?

Possible solutions to your problem:

Install a command you can only use when you are near a certain person. For example:

I'm next to Stefan, I type /examine his ID and press Enter. If I'm near him, /ame text should pop up just above his head. If it doesn't an auto-message kicks in. This is only a suggesstion for tackling the problem, but something along the lines of "This person is not close to you" or "This person is some place else". And it's a /MUST/ for you to be really close to the target or the command won't work. Approximately at a distance of 5-6 feet. So you won't have to get awkwardly close to him. This will definitely make the community paranoid, and they should be, after they've done bad things ( realism ).

Another solution would be to ask for their confirmation on /do, whether your target is really your target. "But that's like reminding him and he'll most likely take off before I can even type my /me's". You're unquestionably right, which brings us back to our first solution to the problem.

Edited by El Botas Blancas
2 minutes ago, El Botas Blancas said:

I'm next to Stefan, I type /examine his ID and press Enter. If I'm near him, /ame text should pop up just above his head. If it doesn't an auto-message kicks in.

Where are you going to get Stefan's ID from if it isn't above his head and neither is a name that you can use the /id command with?

It'd have to be a /examineNearestCharacter type of command that doesn't need any parameters. And at that point you're just going to have people walking up to you and typing the command instead of reading your nametag.

• Applaud 1
19 minutes ago, MalteseWolf said:

Where are you going to get Stefan's ID from if it isn't above his head and neither is a name that you can use the /id command with?

It'd have to be a /examineNearestCharacter type of command that doesn't need any parameters. And at that point you're just going to have people walking up to you and typing the command instead of reading your nametag.

You don't get it, by the time they all get close to you. You will more than likely realize something funny is going on, it's called being "paranoid". Which you should be, after killing two people in less than an hour or two. Or being responsible for the arrest of one of the drug barons/big shots. And not take nametags for granted like:

I will recognize them even before they get near me ( thanks to nametags. Yaaay! ).

Oh, it's a cop because I recognize his nametag. Although the guy was undercover or not even on-duty. 

Or

Oh, it's them Bloods, cuzz! Because you recognize the nametag of one of their members, you haven't even met ICly. And never even seen his face before amongst the Bloods Gang. It's just that you happen to recognize his name by tracing it down on the forum.

However, I wish we could /ID people IRL, just like that there'll be much more less senseless violence on Earth.

And for the ID, I didn't understand your question. We're discussing the matter, not ID. You can still /ID Stefan Castillo. You don't need an actual ID to activate the command. You get his ID through /ID. You are to fill in those numbers to activate the /examine command. As simple as it sounds.

Edited by El Botas Blancas

I was asking specifically about your proposed solution to facilitate reporting rulebreakers.

You would need to somehow:

1. Guess the rulebreaker's name

2. Type /id that name to get the id

3. Run OOCly close to the rulebreaker

4. Type /examine id

5. Take a screenshot which captures the /ame showing on their head (assuming you guessed the name in step 1)

Just sounds like too much of an effort needed and people just won't bother reporting. Whereas people who want to Metagame can use this command to do so.

I guess I'm just not convinced that this will help much in the end. After all Metagamers can still read your name off the text or emotes you type, so if they happen to be driving by or hang around long enough for you to RP something they don't need a nametag.

It would be useful in cases of driving by someone and MGing him yes, but that's about it and I am not convinced it is enough of an advantage compared to the extra effort involved in recognising characters you should know very well.

Yeah, reducing the name tag distance would be the better option lol. Everyone I surround myself with is bald headed and Mexican. It would be difficult to tell them apart and would be weird. Plus there’s still normal ped skins. So not everyone is using a customisable skin.

So, I really appreciate everyone's feedback.  Thank you all for responding!  I want to quote a few people and respond personally to help them clarify.  If you still disagree in the end, that's OK.

First of all, let me say some of you are reading too far into OOC factors that have nothing to do with the way things work IC.  (And in real life.)

2 hours ago, $CAR said:

Yeah, reducing the name tag distance would be the better option lol. Everyone I surround myself with is bald headed and Mexican. It would be difficult to tell them apart and would be weird. Plus there’s still normal ped skins. So not everyone is using a customisable skin.

If everyone who you surround yourself with is a bald headed Mexican, you'd still know who you're talking to because their names would remain in context.  All they have to do is type one line of dialog and thanks to the context color change, you'd be able to know if you're talking to Baldy #1 or Baldy #2.   Everyone has their own distinct voice, so thanks to the context that will remain on the game screen (as it would) you'd know who you're talking to.   This would actually force you to remember how your target looks when you go 4 deep in a car and go hunting for people with AK47's.  It would force you to do a little RP (Unless you just flat remember how he looks.)  Because my character has a very unique look and if people didn't invest any time to make their character unique, it makes you wonder if they're really here to play a character.

5 hours ago, MalteseWolf said:

Blaise, when a man talks, you can match a name to a face in character.  Because again, everyone has their own distinct voice.  I think you guys think I'm asking to totally hide identities.  I'm not suggesting that.  Names will still appear in the IG game screen. 

13 hours ago, Everett said:

It would be good in the perfect world. However, as St3fan said, how will you be able to report others? Or even random things, like seeing someone with some clothing that you really like and you wanna ask the ID of it, or simple things like that - it would make these much harder and if everything will go through /b it would create spam.

So, once more, names would remain in context if someone breaks the rules against you.  Allow me to quote something I wrote in the original post for you man, because I thought of this too and I addressed it in the main thread.  It would only realistically make it slightly less difficult, because again, all they have to do is say one word, and thanks to the context, you know who you're dealing with.  It just has a more realistic sense to it.  It's not perfectionism, it's realism I'm going for here.   We don't have nametags and health bars in real life but we still somehow manage to know who we're talking to, and if we don't we can find out by being social (in this case, roleplaying.) 

The ONLY problem I want to bring up with this change is, reporting players would be hard if they don't roleplay at all, like some do.  You know the type.  Roll up and shoot, no RP.  SO MAYBE we can come up with a command that informs the player who killed them or maimed them without roleplay, like a /whokilledme sort of deal.  It'd be against the rules to metagame it or revenge kill anyway, so why not trust the player with the information?  Otherwise, if the offender/rulebreaker does manage to roleplay, thanks to the names staying in the context, reports will not become any more than slightly less difficult, because they can still be screenshotted.

This also can't be abused because nothing changes.  And it can only be used when you're in dead.  Thanks for your input too bro, definitely a concern I would understand.  & One I presented a solution for. :}  We have to show our roleplayers that we trust them with information they can use in a report, not to break more rules if they feel like the rules have been broken against them.

4 hours ago, Portz said:

Reduce the distance name tags show up and give tints an actual use other than tinting the vehicle's windows lmao.

See, that'd be a good idea too but even then, people can still metagame your nametag.

14 hours ago, Samantha said:

Hell no. Okay it’s an heavy RP server but the custom skins not that best and also, it’s more comfortable now.

I’m not threating or something but if they will remove the name tags I will definitely wuit the server...

Samantha... it'd be petty to quit the server over a piece of developing realism.  After all, it may not even be implemented, don't worry.  Now,

If a player can change their clothes and choose up to 10 different outfits, we should be encouraging people to give it a try.  This is a creative community, where's the creativity you feel me?  Thank you for responding too. 

15 hours ago, St3fan[NL] said:

How will you report other player reports (no dm) if you dont know the name?

Thanks to the players name still being in the IG screen when they talk, you can still match a name to a face.  Especially if they break the rules.   We're getting rid of nametags, not names in context. :)  Good question man, thanks for your input.

13 hours ago, JoeSlice said:

I'd be against this for several reasons:

- Reporting people for breaking rules would need a work-around.

- Multiple people having the same skin would cause confusion and could even be abused.

- Can't tell when somebody is low on HP so can't offer them a burger(just kidding)

My last argument would be that throughout the years of playing SAMP and roleplaying there I have associated a nametag and a healthbar with roleplay, though I do not metagame them it still adds a little bit of ascetic feeling to he game because you don't need to constantly ask people in /do if you'd recognize them, because you know that you do.

Totally understandable, BUT reporting people would actually serve to be not at all, but if anything, only SLIGHTLY less difficult.  Why?  Because the names still pop up.  So if you know who you're dealing with (And all they have to do is talk) then you can report.  IF they break the rules of course.   Keeping names in the context would also draw forward another sensible realistic feat, because voices are distinct and unique.  You can always recognize a person's voice if you know them well enough.  So while you're looking for your friend Jerry, but ten guys look like Jerry, All Jerry has to do is talk.  You'll realize right there if you're talking to Jerry or one of the ten guys who look like Jerry, lol

So, while you all share one similar and major qualm, I want to just quote the many PROS that come out of this suggestion.  The PROS outweigh the cons.  This is sort of like another CK war discussion.  It's an IFFY standard people are scared to try because they don't know how it'd turn out, which is more than understandable.  While I respect all of your stances, I encourage you all to open up your minds here and think about how much more conscious a roleplayer would have to be.  Maybe this is the push we need to get people staying on top of their game while roleplaying.  And maybe this is what we need to entirely destroy play to win behavior and trollish rulebreaking.

19 hours ago, Cici said:

PROS:

People can no longer metagame your name tag as you drive by or walk by.  You don't have to worry so much about driving around.  It'll immediately kill any metagame.  People also have to actually witness crimes now to call them in, get a face, a description, all of that.  Text based roleplay will become more immersive.  Criminals or killers can now start to plan and consider the right times to strike.  With this suggestion, people can no longer /me describes, because you have to ACTUALLY describe the features of a person.  It will eliminate OOC clutter from screenshots.  It will get people's brains focused while they're in game, because they have to actually identify the person their roleplaying with themselves. It will level the playing field, it seems like there can be so much good to come out of this, and the only people it'll hurt are the metagamers and the nonRPers.  Won't hurt nobody else.

This would be the END, of NONRP.

Edited by Cici

What if we reduced the distance of name tag rendering and then added a command to toggle them on and off, which could be off by default. I know this doesn't stop people from just leaving nametags on, but for those who prefer immersion..

I personally am against removing them because one to one it's fine, once I'm in a cramped room full of people I'm going to have trouble connecting names to faces. In fact, I'm already going to have trouble because if two people stand in front of me and start talking and I know neither of them I won't know who is who and will need to ask in /do what each of them look like to clarify.

Just now, Wisci said:

What if we reduced the distance of name tag rendering and then added a command to toggle them on and off, which could be off by default. I know this doesn't stop people from just leaving nametags on, but for those who prefer immersion..

I personally am against removing them because one to one it's fine, once I'm in a cramped room full of people I'm going to have trouble connecting names to faces. In fact, I'm already going to have trouble because if two people stand in front of me and start talking and I know neither of them I won't know who is who and will need to ask in /do what each of them look like to clarify.

make the default on and if someone want to toggle it, give him, no problem. But in my opinion it's just stupid because EVERYONE will keep them on because it's much better after all. (not for MG but it's more comfortable and also, the GTA costum skins is not the best).