La Resistencia-Cárteles Unidos

GINO

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – 20 kilos of deadly fentanyl are off our streets after a major drug bust, but authorities say more is coming, and they can’t keep up. The Montgomery Sheriff’s Office is already predicting that overdose deaths in 2017 will be double the amount reported last year.

Every day, deputies at the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office carry around 2 doses of Narcan–the opioid antidote used to treat overdoses. But now, they’re noticing that’s not enough for this community because the drugs are getting stronger and more potent. Officials say if they don’t get enough resources to fight the problem–they’re expecting a surge in overdose deaths.

“We’re gonna crush records,” Montgomery County Sheriff Phil Plummer said. “This year, at this pace unfortunately.”

Setting the pace, is a Mexican drug cartel known as Sinaloa. They’re the source of the more than 20 kilos of fentanyl recovered in Wednesday’s massive drug bust.

“We’re kind of test bed here in Montgomery County, where they keep throwing new substances at us to see if it’s powerful enough,” Sheriff Plummer said. “To get people hooked on it and it’s killing us left and right.”

We’re more than 3 months into 2017 and already 182 people have died from opioid overdoses in Montgomery County. Officials estimate the county is on track to report more than 700 overdose deaths this year. Last year, there were 349.

“When we look at fight back against this worst drug epidemic I’ve seen in my life time,” Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said. “We have to take a holistic approach.”

DeWine says that means educating our young people in all grade levels.

“I am advocating on the education front that every school in the state of Ohio,” DeWine said. “Starting kindergarten and go through 12th grade. All 13 years. Every single year with something that is age appropriate for those kids in regard to the drug problem.”

Wednesday’s bust was carried out by the Bulk Smuggling Task Force. Sheriff Plummer says in order to keep up with the drugs coming to the area, they need more law enforcement to join them.

“My message to the elected officials the city managers, the council members,” Sheriff Plummer said. “Please join these two task forces we have. We need help. This is effecting every community and we can’t do it by ourselves.”

Wednesday’s drug bust lead to the arrests of 4 men all with ties to Mexico. Along with the fentanyl recovered, they also seized $120,000 in cash, 4 cars and 1 hand gun.

• Wisci locked this topic