Hide name tags and set player names manually

Blu Moonlight

31 minutes ago, Rybyn said:

This gets suggested every few months and it always gets turned down because 1) it doesn't work all that well, 2) it makes reporting harder when somebody breaks a rule and therefore makes admin work even harder and 3) every unique nickname for every character from each person who sets that nickname would have to be saved in the database and continuously synced back with that player which'd probably cause even more lag.

The metagaming name rarely happens and if it does then that's what /report and forum reports are for and the ability to see nameplates through walls is a RAGEMP thing afaik

The problem is, that this kind of metagaming is very hard to detect or prove. Only when it's blatantly obvious and that is very rare.

1) It does work. No idea why you think it wouldn't

2) Reporting would stay pretty much the same since the ID is linked to the player and the information is easily visible to admins

3) If the databases can't store arrays of strings I'm shocked. Doesn't require a huge database and the names could even be saved client side if possible. There is no need for syncing between players as the name is client side. The names can be sent from the database when joining. If the name is set with a command, it won't cause traffic problems since it's not a command that gets constantly used, it won't flood server traffic.

Edited by Blu Moonlight
27 minutes ago, Crocker said:

It works & makes sense on a voice roleplay server because you can familiarize yourself with voices, however there's so many aforementioned cons, named by Rybyn, that wouldn't work well here. 

I understand it is more important on those servers but that doesn't mean it should just be disregarded on GTA World.

15 hours ago, 3Aces said:

No... it'll just cause more issues then benefits... keep it the classic way.

14 hours ago, midnight creepin said:

13 hours ago, Max3 said:

7 hours ago, Winslow said:

6 hours ago, Chucky said:

1 hour ago, yvng said:

??‍♂️ Simple, leave the system alone that has worked for literally almost a decade, possibly more.

1 hour ago, 3Aces said:

??‍♂️ Simple, leave the system alone that has worked for literally almost a decade, possibly more.

I understand that you want to keep the old stuff as it is but this is a developing server and they should strive for long term success. I believe implementing features that remove passive metagaming will help the admins and players in the long run. The game will mostly stay the same in terms of gameplay but will allow for more immersion and better roleplay possibilities. This is a game and the developers should take full advantage of that to midigate, very hard to detect, problems like this kind of metagaming. This has worked wonderfully on other servers and doesn't require a huge adjustment from the playerbase.

So far Rybyn is the only to at least give some arguments against this. Thank you.

No... it'll just cause more issues then benefits... keep it the classic way.

Can someone actually give me some reasonable issues caused by this suggestion. This thread is here for discussion too so I'd like to actually get some arguments against this.

• mj2002 locked this topic