Struggling as a Black American role player in GTAW

On 10/28/2023 at 10:38 AM, stain said:

Since I’ve joined the community I’ve noticed an inherent bias and struggle for Black RPers to preserve the same way as our Mexican, White or whatever else fellow RPers. Any fellow brothas that wanna share their viewpoint on it feel free to talk about why that is.

I mean, most of the RP is either in Davis or Vinewood for African American RP. 

NOW, the South Central as a whole needs to be revamped to have more RP aspects to it and not "O this is where most of the rule-breaking, CK/PKing and trolling happens." Majority of the time I'm in Davis, I either see people that are trying to RP the ghetto/hood lifestyle, but there's also those guys with insanely stupid names that are M characters that go around, beating people up for no reason or run them over for no reason.

This is from my personal experience. Being here almost 2-3 years now, it's basically been the same. I think there needs to be a talk about how to produce more RP out of the areas that exhibit from African American presence than just throwing it off to the side and let the people that are here to troll and DM to just do that. 

• Upvote 3
4 hours ago, ANGELS4EVER70 said:

I mean, most of the RP is either in Davis or Vinewood for African American RP. 

NOW, the South Central as a whole needs to be revamped to have more RP aspects to it and not "O this is where most of the rule-breaking, CK/PKing and trolling happens." Majority of the time I'm in Davis, I either see people that are trying to RP the ghetto/hood lifestyle, but there's also those guys with insanely stupid names that are M characters that go around, beating people up for no reason or run them over for no reason.

This is from my personal experience. Being here almost 2-3 years now, it's basically been the same. I think there needs to be a talk about how to produce more RP out of the areas that exhibit from African American presence than just throwing it off to the side and let the people that are here to troll and DM to just do that. 

Davis needs a month? Or a couple weeks of strict punishments and constant supervision from staff, maybe the RP quality team can take a month off their other duties to "police" Davis, and then hopefully we can see a few more solid gangs in the area. Davis isn't the Mecca if black RP, it's the Mecca of trolls who just happen to have black characters, but as I said before they're just over publicized and labeled as the example of what a black rper is.

• Upvote 1

I started off by reading the first few pages but I'm gonna stop there.

Me personally, I agree with a lot of the points that were said in those first few pages but there are definitely two sides to the book and we always need to consider that as a community. There are reasons these issues exist, generally because of something @grimlin said above about Davis being the Mecca of trolls who just happen to have black characters and how they are over publicized and labeled as the example of a black roleplayer.

This example then affects all serious black roleplayers in GTA:W, especially those in Davis where it is treated as a warzone. I like to call it Davistan...

On 10/28/2023 at 11:02 AM, Macho said:

Agreed one hundred percent, on most Roleplay servers faction roleplay is dominated by black gangs or rpers. Whilst the GTAW community almost forces you away from black roleplay. This is clear when you open the official tab and you notice there are ZERO black official factions, the last one being MPF nearly a year ago. While the factions that are official have earned it there must be a reason why black groups don’t last as long in the gtaw community, either due to the lack of weaponry supplied to said factions or just being treated poorly by ifm. It’s clear this needs to change in one way or another.

On 10/28/2023 at 11:57 AM, Bandit. said:

Get more Americans in IFM and I’m sure you’ll see it change. Can’t expect people who don’t have the real life experience to know what they’re doing when it comes to all gang life. Best of luck and hope it changes for y’all!

Agree with these points completely. There is a lot of stigma around black roleplay on the server, forcing most good roleplayers away. Of course, most people believe this falls on the admin team and IFM for lack of support or foreigner conceptions of how street gangs work, which are both very valid points.

There are many admins who have no clue how it really works in the state that we are trying to roleplay, which causes a lot of bogus situations where otherwise good roleplayers are ajailed or banned for the smallest infractions. These ajails and bans add up though.

IFM even mentioned that the bulk of weapon supplier applicants have terrible admin records, but in my experience, some of the best roleplayers I've encountered EVER in my 10 years of RP have terrible admin records. Even mine has a variety of ajails and a single ban, though I consider myself a decent roleplayer. Why is this? 

Well this is because street gangs are often in conflict or doing other illegal activities such as robberies. And this type of roleplay generates the most reports and while I'm not saying every one of those reports are false bans, I will say that this is why street gang roleplayers often have the worst records...

These records then prevent us from becoming admins or IFM, and otherwise helping the server in the area of our expertise which is again... street gangs.  I honestly have seen a vast improvement in IFM from my last encounters with them over 2 years ago, however there is still much more improvement to be made.

I do blame IFM in some aspects such as lack of support, but EVERYONE needs to understand that as a community, we are ALL at fault for this happening. Some gang roleplayers for their many rulebreaks and some toxic behavior, which helps reinforce IFM's stance on not supporting such factions. admins however for approving these poor quality roleplayers and factions in the first place. But when all of us get bundled in with the bad apples, and things aren't improving... then we need to figure out another approach.

As a leader of a black street gang, two-three of our most toxic conflicts were against the same faction leaders who were found harboring ban evaders and hackers, condoning breaches of RoE, and so much more... and yet this same group is continously allowed to make factions. Other toxic conflicts? Against Chicago GDs at Davis LTD.

If we were to limit these bad factions, by not allowing them to become factions in the first place... then the faction leaders of good viable street gangs would be allowed to recruit more members as there'll be less factions to choose from as a new roleplayer interested in this kind of RP... And it would allow these faction leaders to actually improve these new roleplayers to a proper standard.

On 10/28/2023 at 1:59 PM, AnthonyCourtney said:

Not to mention this server generally doesn't do much to support gang RP in general and in fact mostly frowns upon it. I agree that it's a really sad state of affairs because it's always been my preferred avenue of RP but I don't know what could be done to change the situation other than just joining and trying to up the standards of a faction by yourself (herculean effort) or making your own faction, which is pretty tough considering you'll probably no allies since there's 50 skinhead gangs and 30 sureno sets who's most used word is mayate, and recruitment is hard since I've noticed there's not really a steady flow of new black characters like there used to be back in the day.

This is another point I wanted to mention. This is VERY true. And while I do not blame other players of the server for frowning on gang RP because of the bad reputation we have (and we maintain, let's be honest)... Them not supporting will just continue to lead the current state into much poorer quality.

A prime example is the fighting unrealism with unrealism thing that the server has going on. Right now? Cars filled with players in Davis can get pulled over for the smallest things... such as running a red light. A simple traffic stop, right? But because crime is so high and because so many noobs/players shoot at officers for poor quality reasons such as "i had a warrant for evading once"... These cops now tend to these simple traffic stops with over 5 cop cars and a K9 unit, eliminating the chance at dying but ruining the experience for the players in the car.

I have a faction member who has been found with a gun numerous times, and most of those times have been because of a basic brawl or simple traffic stops that lead the cops to fully searching the car or searching all those involved in a simple fist fight... and of course, we usually have something illegal on us so this leads to jail time.

Jail times are way too high and people are bullied into accepting these charges. For example, pleading guilty to assault on a police officer? 2 days. Pleading no contest? 6 days. Pleading not guilty? Well I just finally got out on bond and it's been 12 days... of course forums were down and led to some delays, but you see how there is an incentive in just shooting at cops to both the criminal points and jail time, because more often than not... you will receive a simple PK, and allowed to return to your RP that same night... as opposed to spending lots of time in jail.

Of course, we need jail RP but the jail times AND bail prices are far too high, which makes it unenjoyable for players. So then what do these players do to avoid this unenjoyable experience? They shoot while evading and end the scene with a PK. But they just shot and killed a cop, right? So now what do the cops do to avoid that unenjoyable experience? Bundle 6 cop cars and a K9 unit to eliminate the threat and force our hands into either accepting an unenjoyable experience or acting unrealistically and shooting over simple possession charges.

This leads to my point of the fighting unrealism with unrealism. And the more we continue bouncing like this? The more cops and robbers we'll get in South Central. The more rulebreaks... the more reports... more illegal roleplayers with a bad record... and more uninformed players with good records to take up that admin spot...

I believe this all stems from all of us. LEO roleplayers. Illegal roleplayers. IFM. LFM. And if we just continue doing nothing as a community to change the way things work... then it'll just keep getting worse and worse.

On 10/28/2023 at 3:38 PM, gang enthusiast said:

There isn't one single decent black hair on the entire server and very few clothes. I myself hate roleplaying with people who have mods in because if you take screenshots they are going to come out looking goofy. 

This is also another point I agree with but let's not get into mods right now, and touch down on bigger issues like the above.

On 10/28/2023 at 4:58 PM, DLimit said:

All we really need are at least 4 decent black street gangs that fixate on longevity to solve this problem. Strict faction leadership that enforces quality RP and doesn't devolve into a DM-fest every week or month. Problem is, the poor-tier RPers always provoke in the region. Easier to exist longer in a place like El Burro than Davis due to it's demographic, as Davis tends to attract all of the lower-tier RPers within the gang scene.

Very much agree with this as I was saying above. But as a strict faction leader who tries to enforce quality RP on GROVE STREET, our biggest issue is not having the admin support to tackle the poor tier RPers.

We are constantly approached by "GDs" or obvious troll characters who'll come around and spew racism. Just last week actually, 4 of our faction members were arrested. Why?

We were provoked by someone being racist between 10 black characters at Davis LTD. The LSSD then used this beatdown as an excuse to jump out and search everyone when some of the group walked back to our territory. 2 members were arrested then. While the rest of the faction members were watching, we were provoked into a brawl AGAINST the LSSD. Again... the RP? Cops jumping out on criminals? Provoking them? Completely fine. We are complete opposites after all... But it all started over a noob who was spewing racism.

And yeah... we can /report but that /report won't be accepted until the RP scene is well over. The admin either tells you to take it to forums, or will tell you that "they'll watch them"... This is where we're a little at fault again. We don't have the patience to forum report these players and so they get away with it... but the lack of admin intervention immediately is what causes this.

I have brought up poor quality RPers to the staff many times before. Even here, I'll link a report where I myself was ajailed for DM because two of these Davis LTD warriors decided it was a good idea to involve themselves in a faction conflict.

How are we supposed to battle against poor tier RPers in Davis without admin support? Even if we take their actions IC, they'll just report and if the wrong admin is on the case, then oh well... your admin record is getting even worse for you buddy.

Anyway, I think this was long enough. And this was just me putting in my two cents based on the first 3 pages of responses. I'm sure others brought up many more valid points but yeah... in my absolute opinion, what I have mentioned is the core of most issues and struggles that plague black roleplay.

On 2/1/2024 at 4:57 AM, Josh said:

white gangs have countless examples like michael kirkpatrick, gary crane, austin fischer, lucas webb and cody garrison.

sureno gangs have even more examples such as eric galvez, johnny barrios, mickey galaz.

but when you think about long-standing, character based and influencial black characters i struggle to name even one.

if black gangs want to be taken seriously in the ooc gang rp sphere they need to stop repeating the same mistakes and emulate the white and sureno factions that are welcoming, facilitate roleplay for their members and help teach them how to roleplay with extensive research and guide-writing.

Also wanted to say that this argument is completely invalid. Only names I know there are Eric Galvez and Mickey Galvez. Mickey, I've seen a few times and off of Facebrowser. Eric, I know because I'm from Davis and we've been beefing with Travieso Gangsters 13 on-and-off since our inception.

Do you know my character, Benard Coleman? I like to think of him as a long-standing influential black character. You've maybe seen Benard on Facebrowser as "maystar". He controls a bulk of the music scene.

I can name a few more black characters... Deon Fletcher for example. Ezekiel Young, another long-standing influential black character. More recently Omar Malik, who I think actually converted to Islam and had an IC name change (I could be wrong)... These are all long-standing characters, heavily influential.

I agree with a lot of what @The Plug said in his response to you, but I do have to say that I believe Feodor's black car slowly became the decline of black RP. I believe the original black car under myself, Ren, TyJ, and Feodor was much better organized and while the black car has improved a lot in politics since our iteration, I don't believe it has been improving in leadership.

But again to fix these issues, we need to work as a community. I don't believe that @Josh's opinion is unpopular or unwarranted. There are definitely a lot more noobs in "black roleplay" and Davis definitely is a hellhole that displays this... But it is easy to differentiate a troll who just happens to be a black character, between a serious good black roleplayer which definitely do exist on the server. So when people treat good black roleplayers the same way they treat the troll, it just helps make them fewer.

And as I said above, without proper communication between EVERYONE in the community, it'll just get worse.

TL:DR

Lack of proper roleplayers in the field to help improve, most get fed up and switch. I know people of color who are RPing as white power factions because it's easier on them with admins, IFM, and law enforcement.

Lack of admin knowledge and support within this field. Admins not knowing what they're talking about, or not helping in regards to cleaning up the poor quality RPers (As a Davis faction leader... I'd say 80% of the Davis population are poor quality RPers). This leads to wrongful punishments which lead to players of this field having worse and worse records... which leads to them not being allowed to admin or support the field... which leaves the job to those with a lack of knowledge in the field.

Lack of communication within between the community. Too much crime = too much cops = hatred of cops = shooting at cops = cops punish factions. And instead of fighting these problems at the source, we just let them get worse... each side comes with a solution that helps their own side but cripples the other. Other side comes with a solution that helps their own side but cripples the other. Both sides just get worse and worse over time. And now we're here.

17 hours ago, grimlin said:

Davis needs a month? Or a couple weeks of strict punishments and constant supervision from staff, maybe the RP quality team can take a month off their other duties to "police" Davis, and then hopefully we can see a few more solid gangs in the area. Davis isn't the Mecca if black RP, it's the Mecca of trolls who just happen to have black characters, but as I said before they're just over publicized and labeled as the example of what a black rper is.

Also I just saw this and I completely agree. Since our inception almost 9 months ago, our faction has seen little to no support in policing the trolls around Davis and more specifically, the Davis LTD. The odds are stacked against black factions in Davis when your recruitment grounds is Davistan.

If other faction leaders or IFM wish to hear more of my input, I am more than willing to come up with more issues that plague black roleplay, and solutions (or at least steps in the right direction) for ALL of these issues. 

Edited by Craazy
Added and fixed some stuff
  • Upvote 29
  • Applaud 3
27 minutes ago, Craazy said:

I started off by reading the first few pages but I'm gonna stop right there.

Me personally, I agree with a lot of the points that were said in those first few pages but there are definitely two sides to the book.
I'll start my piece by quoting which pieces I agree with or dispute with a response, then continue on with my experience.

Agree with these points completely. There is a lot of stigma around black roleplay on the server, forcing most good roleplayers away. Of course, most people believe this falls on the admin team and IFM for lack of support or foreigner conceptions of how street gangs work, which are both very valid points.

There are many admins who have no clue how it really works in the state that we are trying to roleplay, which causes a lot of bogus situations where otherwise good roleplayers are ajailed or banned for the smallest infractions. These ajails and bans add up though.

IFM even mentioned that the bulk of weapon supplier applicants have terrible admin records, but in my experience, some of the best roleplayers I've encountered EVER in my 10 years of RP have terrible admin records. Even mine has a variety of ajails and a single ban, though I consider myself a decent roleplayer. Why is this? 

Well this is because street gangs are often in conflict or doing other illegal activities such as robberies. And this type of roleplay generates the most reports and while I'm not saying every one of those reports are false bans, I will say that this is why street gang roleplayers often have the worst records...

These records then prevent us from becoming admins or IFM, and otherwise helping the server in the area of our expertise which is again... street gangs.  I honestly have seen a vast improvement in IFM from my last encounters with them over 2 years ago, however there is still much more improvement to be made.

I do blame IFM in some aspects such as lack of support, but EVERYONE needs to understand that as a community, we are ALL at fault for this happening. Gang roleplayers for their many rulebreaks and some toxic behavior, which helps reinforce IFM's stance on not supporting such factions. IFM however for approving these poor quality factions in the first place.

As a leader of a black street gang, three of our most toxic conflicts were against the same faction leaders who were found harboring ban evaders and hackers, condoning breaches of RoE, and so much more... and yet this same group is continously allowed to make factions.

If we were to limit these bad factions, by not allowing them to become factions in the first place... then the faction leaders of good viable street gangs would be allowed to recruit more members as there'll be less factions to choose from as a new roleplayer interested in this kind of RP... And it would allow these faction leaders to actually improve these new roleplayers to a proper standard.

This is another point I wanted to mention. This is VERY true. And while I do not blame other players of the server for frowning on gang RP because of the bad reputation we have (and we maintain, let's be honest)... Them not supporting will just continue to lead the current state into much poorer quality.

A prime example is the fighting unrealism with unrealism thing that the server has going on. Right now? Cars filled with players in Davis can get pulled over for the smallest things... such as running a red light. A simple traffic stop, right? But because crime is so high and because so many noobs/players shoot at officers for poor quality reasons such as "i had a warrant for evading once"... These cops now tend to these simple traffic stops with over 5 cop cars and a K9 unit, eliminating the chance at dying but ruining the experience for the players in the car.

I have a faction member who has been found with a gun numerous times, and most of those times have been because of a basic brawl or simple traffic stops that lead the cops to fully searching the car or searching all those involved in a simple fist fight... and of course, we usually have something illegal on us so this leads to jail time.

Jail times are way too high and people are bullied into accepting these charges. For example, pleading guilty to assault on a police officer? 2 days. Pleading no contest? 6 days. Pleading not guilty? Well I just finally got out on bond and it's been 12 days... of course forums were down and led to some delays, but you see how there is an incentive in just shooting at cops to both the criminal points and jail time, because more often than not... you will receive a simple PK, and allowed to return to your RP that same night... as opposed to spending lots of time in jail.

Of course, we need jail RP but the jail times AND bail prices are far too high, which makes it unenjoyable for players. So then what do these players do to avoid this unenjoyable experience? They shoot while evading and end the scene with a PK. But they just shot and killed a cop, right? So now what do the cops do to avoid that unenjoyable experience? Bundle 6 cop cars and a K9 unit to eliminate the threat and force our hands into either accepting an unenjoyable experience or acting unrealistically and shooting over simple possession charges.

This leads to my point of the fighting unrealism with unrealism. And the more we continue bouncing like this? The more cops and robbers we'll get in South Central. The more rulebreaks... the more reports... more illegal roleplayers with a bad record... and more uninformed players with good records to take up that admin spot...

I believe this all stems from all of us. LEO roleplayers. Illegal roleplayers. IFM. LFM. And if we just continue doing nothing as a community to change the way things work... then it'll just keep getting worse and worse.

This is also another point I agree with but let's not get into mods right now, and touch down on bigger issues like the above.

Very much agree with this as I was saying above. But as a strict faction leader who tries to enforce quality RP on GROVE STREET, our biggest issue is not having the admin support to tackle the poor tier RPers.

We are constantly approached by "GDs" or EBUBUWEBE CHUBWOMBO who'll come around and spew racism. Just last week actually, 4 of our faction members were arrested. Why?

We were provoked by someone being racist between 20 black characters at Davis LTD. The LSSD then used this beatdown as an excuse to jump out and search everyone when we walked back to our territory. 2 members were arrested then. While the rest of the faction members were watching, we were provoked into a brawl AGAINST the LSSD. Again... the RP? Cops jumping out on criminals? Provoking them? Completely fine. We are complete opposites after all... But it all started over a noob who was spewing racism.

And yeah... we can /report but that /report won't be accepted until the RP scene is well over. The admin either tells you to take it to forums, or will tell you that "they'll watch them"... This is where we're at fault again. We don't have the patience to forum report these players and so they get away with it... but the lack of admin intervention immediately is what causes this.

I have brought up poor quality RPers to the staff many times before. Even here, I'll link a report where I myself was ajailed for DM because two of these Davis LTD warriors decided it was a good idea to involve themselves in a faction conflict.

How are we supposed to battle against poor tier RPers in Davis without admin support? Even if we take their actions IC, they'll just report and if the wrong admin is on the case, then oh well... that admin record is getting even worse for you buddy.

Anyway, I think this was long enough. And this was just me putting in my two cents based on the first 3 pages of responses. I'm sure others brought up many more valid points but yeah... in my absolute opinion, what I have mentioned is the core of most issues and struggles that plague black roleplay.

Lack of proper roleplayers in the field to help improve, most get fed up and switch. I know people of color who are RPing as white power factions because it's easier on them with admins, IFM, and law enforcement.

Lack of admin knowledge and support within this field. Admins not knowing what they're talking about, or not helping in regards to cleaning up the poor quality RPers (As a Davis faction leader... I'd say 80% of the Davis population are poor quality RPers). This leads to wrongful punishments which lead to players of this field having worse and worse records... which leads to them not being allowed to admin or support the field... which leaves the job to those with a lack of knowledge in the field.

Lack of communication within the community. Too much crime = too much cops = hatred of cops = shooting at cops = cops punish factions. And instead of fighting these problems at the source, we just let them get worse... each side comes with a solution that helps their own side but cripples the other. Other side comes with a solution that helps their own side but cripples the other. Both sides just get worse and worse over time. And now we're here.

Also I just saw this and I completely agree. Since our inception almost 9 months ago, our faction has seen little to no support in policing the trolls around Davis and more specifically, the Davis LTD.

If other faction leaders or IFM wish to hear more of my input, I am more than willing to come up with more issues that plague black roleplay, and solutions (or at least steps in the right direction) for ALL of these issues. 

what he said

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Craazy said:

Me personally, I agree with a lot of the points that were said in those first few pages but there are definitely two sides to the book.
I'll start my piece by quoting which pieces I agree with or dispute with a response, then continue on with my experience.

I do blame IFM in some aspects such as lack of support, but EVERYONE needs to understand that as a community, we are ALL at fault for this happening. Gang roleplayers for their many rulebreaks and some toxic behavior, which helps reinforce IFM's stance on not supporting such factions. IFM however for approving these poor quality factions in the first place.

As a leader of a black street gang, three of our most toxic conflicts were against the same faction leaders who were found harboring ban evaders and hackers, condoning breaches of RoE, and so much more... and yet this same group is continously allowed to make factions.

We are constantly approached by "GDs" or EBUBUWEBE CHUBWOMBO who'll come around and spew racism. Just last week actually, 4 of our faction members were arrested. Why?

We were provoked by someone being racist between 20 black characters at Davis LTD. The LSSD then used this beatdown as an excuse to jump out and search everyone when we walked back to our territory. 2 members were arrested then. While the rest of the faction members were watching, we were provoked into a brawl AGAINST the LSSD. Again... the RP? Cops jumping out on criminals? Provoking them? Completely fine. We are complete opposites after all... But it all started over a noob who was spewing racism.

And yeah... we can /report but that /report won't be accepted until the RP scene is well over. The admin either tells you to take it to forums, or will tell you that "they'll watch them"... This is where we're at fault again. We don't have the patience to forum report these players and so they get away with it... but the lack of admin intervention immediately is what causes this.

How are we supposed to battle against poor tier RPers in Davis without admin support? Even if we take their actions IC, they'll just report and if the wrong admin is on the case, then oh well... that admin record is getting even worse for you buddy.

Lack of communication within the community. Too much crime = too much cops = hatred of cops = shooting at cops = cops punish factions. And instead of fighting these problems at the source, we just let them get worse... each side comes with a solution that helps their own side but cripples the other. Other side comes with a solution that helps their own side but cripples the other. Both sides just get worse and worse over time. And now we're here.

Also I just saw this and I completely agree. Since our inception almost 9 months ago, our faction has seen little to no support in policing the trolls around Davis and more specifically, the Davis LTD.

Gangs are a real thing. They just dont have the support to do what people want, the server goes to a point where its just unenjoyable cops and robbers, there needs to be changes.

What he said

• Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, Craazy said:

this guy might be up to something here😤

• Upvote 2

Bro the fact that we still got mfs on here repping 069 Bricksquad with IMPUNITY says it all. 

I was at Davis LTD buying gas on my white char, they approach Big Joker asking if I was from Lamron. On jojo grave this shit is crazy foe.

We need a Davis task force, specifically targeting the trolls though. We don’t need admins with no illegal experience ajailing legitimate black faction members because they shot a member of their main rival gang for threatening their life and saying fuck their dead homies. This will get somebody shot IRL in any city in the US, never mind South Central LA. 

• Upvote 8
  • Applaud 1