Struggling as a Black American role player in GTAW

the mecca of black rp is davis ltd which says a lot about the state of black gang rp

edit: plus the vast majority of the server's playerbase is white and english isn't their first language so when they try to roleplay black they get clowned for being 'foreign'.

unpopular opinion but the black gang roleplay scene has been consistently shooting themselves in the foot for the past 4 years by creating pop up dm factions with not much substance or characters that stick around.

if you think to yourself 'what prominent long standing characters do i think of when i think of each 'type' of gang roleplayers?'

white gangs have countless examples like michael kirkpatrick, gary crane, austin fischer, lucas webb and cody garrison.

sureno gangs have even more examples such as eric galvez, johnny barrios, mickey galaz.

but when you think about long-standing, character based and influencial black characters i struggle to name even one.

if black gangs want to be taken seriously in the ooc gang rp sphere they need to stop repeating the same mistakes and emulate the white and sureno factions that are welcoming, facilitate roleplay for their members and help teach them how to roleplay with extensive research and guide-writing.

the general conensus of black gang rp is stand on your block till the opps driveby you or you go driveby the opps, shit talk in DM youtube video comments or on facebrowser or in /b after you get killed.

unpopular opinion so feel free to hate

Edited by Josh
  • Upvote 9
13 minutes ago, Mór-Ríoghain said:

Seems like a weird discussion, SYC and PBGC are great black factions filled with talented writers/roleplayers

Clearly was posted way before both factions, the black scene is on the correct path at the moment but we all know the server comes and goes in waves.

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, MxnSterx said:

Maybe that's the problem bro. Not everybody rp'ing a black character is afro american, the thread is full of 'outlanders' and 'colonizers' because it's not only  your ppl rping a crip or a blood. Using those terms you''re doing nothing but loosing credibility. It's clear that there's a stigma upon black rp but it's clear that there's a great amount  of toxicity as well. Sadly, the groups that are offering some actual quality does not stand that much, but occasionally, you can see some good examples out there. 

I mean you could say the same about any type of RP on this server. The overly racist skinhead or the 90s decked down sureno is something of the past but is often represented on the server.

Black RP's woes are just overly publicized while others are not. 

• Upvote 11

all i'll say is i first joined this server may 2023 and the first thing i ever heard is that black factions are the bottom of the barrel and the fact that another certain faction didnt give any black faction guns and only supplied they alts. i was a NEW player hearing that type of shi lol

On 2/1/2024 at 4:57 AM, Josh said:

the mecca of black rp is davis ltd which says a lot about the state of black gang rp

edit: plus the vast majority of the server's playerbase is white and english isn't their first language so when they try to roleplay black they get clowned for being 'foreign'.

unpopular opinion but the black gang roleplay scene has been consistently shooting themselves in the foot for the past 4 years by creating pop up dm factions with not much substance or characters that stick around.

if you think to yourself 'what prominent long standing characters do i think of when i think of each 'type' of gang roleplayers?'

white gangs have countless examples like michael kirkpatrick, gary crane, austin fischer, lucas webb and cody garrison.

sureno gangs have even more examples such as eric galvez, johnny barrios, mickey galaz.

but when you think about long-standing, character based and influencial black characters i struggle to name even one.

if black gangs want to be taken seriously in the ooc gang rp sphere they need to stop repeating the same mistakes and emulate the white and sureno factions that are welcoming, facilitate roleplay for their members and help teach them how to roleplay with extensive research and guide-writing.

the general conensus of black gang rp is stand on your block till the opps driveby you or you go driveby the opps, shit talk in DM youtube video comments or on facebrowser or in /b after you get killed.

unpopular opinion so feel free to hate

the Mecca of Black RP is not Davis LTD, Davis LTD and the ppl who RP there is a fucking meme. The problem is the attitudes people like you have of black RP and the blatantly racist undertones y’all all speak about black RP.  Like it’s just inferior or some stupid shit. It takes 2X more skill to RP a black faction than a white or Sureno faction and this is coming from somebody who led multiple Sur facs, La Eme and am in a Wood fac rn. 20s Outlaw Bloods, Rollin 90s, Brims, School Yard Crip and many more have been solid.

Black gangs get less guns, their STG is a shadow of what it was when Feodor was running it and they are basically cut out of the Sur and White gun network because they’re black. When I was leading Eme we were getting 4X as many guns as TBC 😂.

Then you have a bunch of people from foreign countries RPing a racist black caricature instead of just RPing a black char. The majority of poor portrayal isn’t coming from black Americans or Americans in general. It’s people who make a black char just to troll or do some stupid shit like RP 069 Jojoworld Bricksquad GDs. The actual black factions RP is elite and it is for sure harder to do than Sureno or White RP.

”the consensus on black RP is basically blah blah some racist bullshit blah blah”

Dawg. I can do that with any fucking niche of RP.

The consensus on white RP is stand on the block, don’t beef anybody, smoke meff IC and laugh like wuehuehuehue dewd. Smoke meff.

The consensus on Sureno RP is post up on the bloque. Shoot sum carga y skante oooouuwee im goofballin foo. Wait on the enemigas to pull up and do a drive by they better put one foot on the pavement tho foo or I’m snitching to the big hawmiez. Ha ha La neta foo

I don’t know why y’all upvoted this dumb ass shit he said. Most lazy uninformed take I’ve ever heard. You’ve probably never even RPed black. And you also don’t know what goes on behind the scenes in Sureno or White RP if you think it isn’t just as toxic, it’s just not as blatant. I fw White RP and Black RP, love Sureno RP and there’s great things in all of them. Just like there’s bad things in all of them too. But accurately portrayal of a black char/gang takes 2X as much skill and knowledge of concept than white or Sureno for sure. So before you talk down on somebody let’s see you do that first and then see how you feel when you got the whole server hating on you. I’m so tired of y’all talking like this about black RP just say you don’t like black people and go lmaoo.

Edited by The Plug
  • Upvote 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 2