Completely ban /flipcoin and /roll roleplay.

CYCOSOCIAL

I use it all the time, but only for roleplay affecting my character's development or that agreed with the other player(s).

I won't script fight, so if it came to that I'd agree/disagree on the outcome with the other player. BOTH should agree to the roleplay method preferred. If that is rolling, script fighting or using best efforts and common sense, both parties need to agree.

You cannot force the roll/flip on another player, just like you cannot force a /me on another player. Same rules apply. 

If they do, report them and politely ask that another method is used to determine the outcome. Removing a feature is never the answer. 

• Upvote 2

-1. This is hands down the worst suggestion I’ve seen in ages. 

We’re an RP server, I have never seen anyone using /roll to Powergame, usually they use script methods to do so anyways. Your removing a feature that actively encourages RP.

• Upvote 2
36 minutes ago, HeyIt'sKay! said:

Not to be blunt, but read the title? "Completely ban /flipcoin and /roll roleplay."

COMPLETELY

adverb

in every way or as much as possible

A title is a summary of or a way of getting your attention. Do you give your thoughts on the story of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire after only reading the title? In this case, Cyco is proposing we COMPLETELY ban the notion of letting people think dice rolls entitle them to power over other players. If you based your opinion solely on the thread title without reading the OP that's rather silly.

45 minutes ago, lostlk said:

-1. This is hands down the worst suggestion I’ve seen in ages. 

We’re an RP server, I have never seen anyone using /roll to Powergame, usually they use script methods to do so anyways. Your removing a feature that actively encourages RP.

This is a rule suggestion not a game suggestion, nothing is being removed. You can still use flipcoin

All we're asking for is a small addendum to the rules on powergaming for clarity.

26 minutes ago, vortus said:

This is a rule suggestion not a game suggestion, nothing is being removed. You can still use flipcoin

All we're asking for is a small addendum to the rules on powergaming for clarity.

Again, I've never seen /roll or /flipcoin used for powergaming. If anything, I see powergaming done via the normal script already as is. Should we ban script fighting due to powergaming? How about banning shooting due to powergaming?

Plus, if you need the rules to bluntly state everything that's a rulebreak, rather than being able to read the rules and understand, "Huh, maybe this is powergaming." there's a problem.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, lostlk said:

Again, I've never seen /roll or /flipcoin used for powergaming. If anything, I see powergaming done via the normal script already as is. Should we ban script fighting due to powergaming? How about banning shooting due to powergaming?

Plus, if you need the rules to bluntly state everything that's a rulebreak, rather than being able to read the rules and understand, "Huh, maybe this is powergaming." there's a problem.

I know there's a problem. Holy shit it's like talking to a brick wall in this thread. The problem is that people are that stupid and need it written plain or they'll coinflip something and expect you to adhere to the 50%. You think you're being intelligent by comparing an extra line in the rules about PG to banning script fighting but they're not even remotely related topics. For everybody who reads following this - nobody is advocating for banning the use of coinflip. What we want is a single line added to the PG rules stating you cannot coinflip and then expect other people to be forced to go along with your actions against them because you won a 50/50. It is a grey area because it is not technically PG in the traditional sense because you're tricking people into thinking you're making an attempt, and you can technically fail the 50/50. People are taking it to an extreme however and using it as an excuse to get away with silly things that aren't necessarily PG but are simply just idiotic.

Outright "banning" both of those commands won't be the solution to the "problem." 

To begin with, both of those commands are extremely rarely used for actual PG, and when it is, you can either report or request the player to seek for an alternate method of deciding the outcome of a situation, with the consideration of everyone involved. Admin discretion exists and for something like this is when it comes to shine.

Let's not ruin a feature that 99% of its users use properly for that lacking 1%.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, CYCOSOCIAL said:

What it says on the tin. Although in some situations I find /flipcoin and /roll roleplay to be somewhat acceptable, 99% of the time it's used for people who want a 50% chance of doing something absolutely herculean (fighting off six people holding them down, shrugging off a taser, pushing a gun out of their face, etc) so that they can then complain when you don't go along with it. Make a rule that specifically states doing this is unacceptable. 

This specifically relates to using /flipcoin and /roll to influence another players actions, obviously. Don't have any problem with using it for your own RP.

3 hours ago, Fizzlestat said:

Outright "banning" both of those commands won't be the solution to the "problem." 

To begin with, both of those commands are extremely rarely used for actual PG, and when it is, you can either report or request the player to seek for an alternate method of deciding the outcome of a situation, with the consideration of everyone involved. Admin discretion exists and for something like this is when it comes to shine.

Let's not ruin a feature that 99% of its users use properly for that lacking 1%.

Please read the OP.
Nobody wants to remove /flipcoin or /roll. We want a rule addendum regarding its use. If only people could read as well as they could write sassy replies, huh?