No namechange period following issue of a warrant

This is a hybrid rules/UCP suggestion. I think a rule be introduced (policed by a UCP feature) whereby a character cannot namechange within a certain period of time following issue of a warrant by the Courts against them.

In my view, this is common courtesy (where the suspect knows there is a warrant) and fairness (which applies both when they do, and don't know). At present it is possible for someone to go on a crime spree, which they know will land them with a warrant/significant prison time, and then namechange themselves out of it.

As well as being an issue of fairness, it can be really frustrating when a lot of time has gone into a warrant which is immediately wasted when the person namechanges. This suggestion from me is inspired by a recent example where I spent around 2-3 hours interviewing a witness, pulling evidence together, and writing a detailed warrant for some fairly serious offences, to find that less than 24 hours later, they have namechanged.

Obviously a warrant shouldn't stop someone from ever being able to namechange as many warrants go unexecuted. I would suggest a cooling off period of 7-14 days after issue of a warrant where the UCP does not allow the player to change that character's name. I would also suggest that the check against the warrants list only be done once the player has committed to the namechange process - so the feature wouldn't be able to be abused casually to check whether a warrant is outstanding.

• 3 weeks later...

don't see the point, just roleplay it as though the suspect has gone dark and you couldn't find him... the character's gone anyway

what will happen if we implement your suggestion is that players will simply create an alt character or just not log back on until the cooldown period you've suggested is over. people who namechange have more than likely completely lost interest in the character they're trying to NC anyway.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Serower said:

don't see the point, just roleplay it as though the suspect has gone dark and you couldn't find him... the character's gone anyway

what will happen if we implement your suggestion is that players will simply create an alt character or just not log back on until the cooldown period you've suggested is over. people who namechange have more than likely completely lost interest in the character they're trying to NC anyway.

8 hours ago, Serower said:

Seems like P2W mentality if you ask me. And it’s just gross disrespect to the others involved as well considering they went out their way to make a warrant & get it approved which isn’t the easiest thing to do  for your IC actions just for you to short change them of RP cause you feel bored of a character especially after what you did IC. 

on topic,  it sucks when people do this albeit if not intentional. Perhaps namechange request could be reviewed for that stuff but however why add something more to the admins plate? 

im on the fence in regards to this one. 

21 minutes ago, SilentOG said:

Make this apply for detectives aswell👍🏼

Maybe! Is there an issue with detectives namechanging to avoid repercussions from people they have put warrants on? I wasn't aware of it.

I've read the other replies. I get the comments regarding whether someone would just make another character to RP on during the cooldown window - and fair enough, that is server mechanics! And obviously if someone wants to go inactive, that is up to them. We won't ever fix people avoiding "consequence" RP but it might be a good nudge in the right direction.

I think it is very frustrating when someone racks up significant charges on one account and then is able to immediately namechange out of it. It also has the possibility of disrupting court and warrant RP. One option could be that if they try and NC during the "cooldown" window, there is a (partial or whole) loss of assets?

My experience is that this typically happens with people who RP street racer/low level crime characters (which is fine!) which quickly get out of hand for them once they realise they have felony warrants, and they namechange to someone who looks very similar, acts the same way and basically does the same thing and repeat. I wouldn't have an issue with someone applying for an NC before the "cool off" period with admin permission and a good RP reason, etc. And I wouldn't have an issue with someone taking a CK (if approved) either.

Edited by Nathan Bennet
  • 4 weeks later...