Make threads posted in refund requests private to admins, the poster, and tagged players/staff

Aquila

Maybe do the same for ban appeals.

I think there should be some changes in anonymity in the community, because sometimes players don't really want to be ridiculed for their bans, or metagamed for their refund requests. Some players don't even want their names out in public for show. The point is, it is clear that as human beings we're curious about other people's refund requests to see what kind of guns they're getting refunded, or how much money they're having refunded, etc. 

In my previous SAMP community, anything from admin requests to ban appeals were strictly hidden to staff members (not including moderators/testers/etc.) and the posting players. Should have the same courtesy here I feel.

• Upvote 1

Just for the sake of context, FiveRP tried it (with requests & reports only done via the UCP) and it backfired horribly. The lack of transparency quickly became a disaster in the way requests & reports were handled. It wasn't public so some admins started being insanely spiteful and borderline insulting and inappropriate, with answers like "Go bitch somewhere else" (along those lines - not a direct quote)... And since it wasn't public many decisions that were taken were not understood by the community, which led to a massive spread of rumors - some true, some not.

To finish, since it wasn't public, there was no point of reference for requests & reports. People didn't know what to expect when opening one, and it led to a massive disparity in how those were treated. Two players with the same request, who had the same issue with the same bug, would have a different answer... And since they didn't know any better, they couldn't really point the handling admin towards another case. Player A got refunded, player B got denied even though they had the exact same issue... 

It's one of those ideas that sound cool in theory but that can lead to an immense plethora of issues in practice, sadly :( 

I don’t want a FiveRP system where you submit your reports or appeals privately. In my opinion, reports against anyone, whether a player, staff, or faction, should be public. Ban appeals too.

However, I do agree that refund requests could use more privacy. People metagame what they see. Hypothetically people could be robbing you a lot after seeing your refund request for guns in a hope that they’ll find one. My concern is that some people don’t like to have their character names out in public. I’m fine with it personally, but I do know that some people believe it’s better to keep them private as people hold grudges or negative beliefs about you and might metagame it.

also if we really were going for transparency we’d mske staff reports public on some rs

Edited by Shareef
  • 3 months later...