Weazel News 005 - LSFD Chief and Captain Interview

Froge

yuOOnsS.png

LSFD Chief and Captain Interview

By George Colsten 

NOV. 27, 2017

Today we're interviewing Ryan Lionheart, LSFD Captain, and Viola Fugate, LSFD Chief. While many citizens of Los Santos are sleeping safely at night, these men and women are fighting and breaking a sweat to keep us safe. Let's start with some questions with Ryan.

gt-mp-2017_11_27_10_53_06-067.thumb.jpg.9d63cd8f84878c12ce9a79b360fb82b6.jpg

LSFD Fire Station in Davis, Los Santos.

George Colsten for Weazel News

QUESTIONS & ANSWERS

By Natasha Khrushcheva

Q: How long is the training that the recruits endure here, at the station?

A: We have two academies, set for our academy students, in which they go through rigorous training, and detailed explanation of what to do in several different situations and scenarios, as it can be quite a complex thing to handle. We have two academies, one that covers the Fire and Rescue, which tackles structure and vehicular fires as well as entrapment, MVAs, the sorts. The other training is the BLS, Basic Life Support training, that covers the necessary skills to be able not only to rescue lives, but also to save lives from any medical harm on a basic, yet most demanding level.

Q: Wow, that sounds like the recruits must have a lot of mental toughness as well as keen knowledge on array of the contingency for any possible crisis. Do we know how many attended this academy?

A: This academy we're hopeful for approximately eight recruits, should they pass the examination and then graduate.

gt-mp-2017_11_27_11_09_19-068.thumb.jpg.3b5ea59cc780d203588438a649be0eca.jpg

Interior of the Davis Fire Station.

George Colsten for Weazel News.

Q: Wow, eight people who rise for the challenge! When you first joined the LSFD, what was the most appealing aspect of being a Fire Captain for you?

A: To be honest, I personally didn't join the FD in order to climb ranks or anything else like that. I only grew over time as I progressed in my career as a Firefighter.

However, the most appealing aspect I'd say is the satisfaction behind successful teamwork, and striving for success alongside the people in your team which you can refer to, not only as colleagues, but also as brother and sisters. It's the tight knit community,

Q: So, camaraderie and kindred bonds is what keeps you going as you perform your duties? Sounds like you are a leader that selflessly serves not only people of Los Santos, but also dedicates time. 

A: Well, obviously, firefighters have to be courageous, bold and willing. One word I personally like to use is selfless. At the end of the day, the firefighter is sacrificing themselves in order to protect the life and property of other, putting them first.

Q: Outstanding! Just for effect, and letting the people back home, what would be your answer if I were to ask why is teamwork so important on the Firehouse? Perhaps you have an example of a scenario.

A: Teamwork is the most important core in here, without teamwork, all else fails. In the Firehouse, we're, as I said, a tight knit community, and have to rely on each other in order to achieve a goal, whether it be a simple entrapment, or saving victims in a fire. Any victory or accomplishment of a task one of a person is just as rewarding to the entire team. At the end of the day, it's whether people go home back together, in one piece, the same way as they left firehouse, that's what matters. It's whether people will see their families and friends, that matters. My message to the public is: "If you're not prepared to work together, the Fire Department doesn't want you"

Q: When they have to make those split second decisions that might weave the balance between life and a fatality, I understand your tone completely. I'm also impressed by the level of perseverance within the Firehouse, is it true that some within the department can work 24 or even 48 hours sifts?

A: It is true, yes. Firefighters have to be ready in order to sacrifice all their duties. However, despite the long shift hours, the firefighters are in fact stationed at the Firehouse, and they are allowed to sleep whenever they desire. On a typical day, a shift starts at midnight. You'd come in, clock in. Get a briefing in the briefing room for a Supervisors on shift. Afterwards, you're free to do as you please, eat breakfast, watch TV... When a supervisor believes it is time, they will call a roll for drills. The drills can be - by preference of the supervisor - mandatory or optional. 

gt-mp-2017_11_27_11_09_44-069.thumb.jpg.b25feabb4ef60ddb4c47f71fc5a76c61.jpg

USA and LSFD flags waving, in Davis.

George Colsten for Weazel News

The firefighter life is really tough, right? We'll now also interview Viola Fugate, LSFD Chief, with more of 20 years of experience.

Ryan: I'd like to introduce to Chief Fugate here. She's a big part of the family at our Firehouse as she basically runs the place. She overwatches all the operations in our firehouse. Ensue everything is running smoothly, and so forth.

Viola: Yes, I do a lot of things, the captain exaggerates, though. He's absolutely invaluable to the department.

Q: It is absolutely an honor, chief! Since you're with us, do you mind telling us how you got to start? 

Viola: I’ve always seen myself as a compassionate problem solver. My job offers me the ability to exercise these attributes. I enjoy seeing the sparkle of joy and hope in the eyes of others. The ability of giving people their second or third chances in life has kept me going for over twenty years. I’m proud of my occupation, and thankful for being with the team I currently have.

Such a compassionate Fire Chief looking after our proud department! The virtuous men and women of Los Santos Fire Department, the city of Los Santos thanks you all your commitment and dedication to duty, and we hope to visit you again soon, on Weazel News!

4FWsXaK.jpg

Starting from the left, LSFD Chief Viola Fugate, LSFD Captain Ryan Lionheart, Weazel News COO Natasha Khrushcheva.

Jake Leon for Weazel News

Full interview transcript: 

Spoiler

N: Natasha

R: Ryan

V: Viola

(Introduction)

N: Good evening, Los Santos! This is Natty K, reporting live for WEAZEL NEWS. I'm here at the fire station where tonight, he have several avid and selfiness recruits stepping into the footprints of our valorous and dedicated Los Santos Fire Department. While many citizens are sleeping safely at night, these man and women are breaking a sweat and pulling long shifts to keep our citizens safe. They are led by the Fire of all San Andreas!

It’s a pleasure to have you with us, Ryan.

R: In fact, I think you’d find that it’d be my pleasure to have /you/ here on behalf of Weazel News.

N: I’m sure I speak not only for me, but for my staff when I say we are excited at the opportunity to learn more about our Fire Captain and the rest of the department. So let’s start with some questions about the academy.

(Questions)

N: How long is the training that the recruits endure here at the station?

R: Typically we have two academies set for our academy students in which they go through rigorous and thorough training and detailed explanation of what to do with several different situations and several different scenarios as it can be quite a complex thing to handle. We have two different academies, one that covers Fire and Rescue, which tackles structure and vehicular fires as well as entrapment, MVAs, the sorts. The other training, BLS, Basic Life support training, covers the necessary skills for our firefighters to be able not only rescue lives but also save lives from ay medical harm on a basic yet most demanding level.

N: Wow, that sounds like the recruits must have a lot of mental toughness as well as keen knowledge on an array of contigencies for any crisis that occurs in the city. It’s great that they are given the tools to succeed and cultivate teamwork among themselves. Do we know how many attended this academy? I know there are sure to be a lot of proud parents out there!

R: This academy we’re hopeful for approximately eight recruits, should they pass the examination and graduate.

N: Oh, wow! Eight virtuous people who rise to the challenge! How exciting! Maybe you can enlighten me on the day in the light of a firefighter. When you first joined, what was the most appealing aspect of being a Fire Captain for you?

R: To be honest, I personally didn’t join the Fire Department in order to climb ranks or anything else like that. I only grew over time as I progressed in my career as a Firefighter that I wanted to also progress in the Deparment.

However, the most appealing aspect I’d say is the satisfaction behind successful teamwork and striving for success alongside the people in your team which you can refer to as not only colleagues but also brothers and sisters, as we in the Los Santos Fire Department like to have a family-attitude and community of firefighter in order to maximize our efforts and morale to boost effectiveness of our service. It’s the tight knit community.

N: So, camaradie and kindred bonds is what keeps you going as you perform your duties? Sounds like you are a leader in the community that selflessly serves not only the people of Los Santos, but dedicates time.

R: Well, obviously, firefighters have to be courageous, bold and willing. One word which I personally like to use is selfless. At the end of the day, the firefighter is sacrificing themselves in order to protect the life and property of other, putting them first. The people.

N: Outstanding! I couldn’t agree more. Just for effect, and letting the people back home watching, what would be your answer if I were to ask why is teamwork so important in the Firehouse? Perhaps you have an example of a scenario.

R: Teamwork is the most imporatnt core in the Firehouse, without teamwork, all else fails. In the Firehouse we’re, as I said, a tight knit community and have to rely on each other in order to achieve a goal, whether it be a simple entrapment, or saving victims ina  fire, or anything really. Any victory or accomplishment of a task one of a person is just as rewarding to the entire team. At the end of the day, it’s whether people go home together, in one piece, the same way as the left firehouse, that matters. It’s whether people will se their families or friends again, that matterrs. Alone, you can’t accomplish a demanding task.

My message to the public is: if you’re not prepared to work together, the Fire Department doesn’t want you.

N: When they have to make those split second decisions that might weave the balance between life and a fatality, I understand your tone completly, I’m also impressed by the level of perseverance within the Firehouse, is it true that some within the department can work 24 or even 48 hour shifts? That sounds very demanding. I imagine it’s a sacrifice to have that kind of hardship with their family life.

R: It is true, yes. Firefighters have to be ready in order to sacrifice all their duties, however, despite the long shift hours, for example as you mentioned 24 and 48 hours, the firefighters are in tact stationed at the Firehouse and allowed to sleep whenever they desire.

N: Aspriing recruits watching what a typical routine is at a Firehouse?

R: Of course, so, on a typical day, a shift starts at midnight. You’d come in, clock in. Get a briefing in the briefing room from the Supervisors on shift.

Afterwards you’re free to do as you please, eat breakfast, watch TV, perform recreational activities such as table tennis, whatever we have in the firehouse. When a supervisor believes it is time, they will call a roll for drills. The drills can be - by preference of the supervisor - mandatory or optional.

Whenever a call comes in, we dispatch the appropriate apparatus to the call with the staff allocated. We have a breakfast, lunch and dinner where all our staff sit in together, generally discuss what they wish. That’s typically a routine day.

N: Wow, sounds like the atmosphere here promotes a quality culture where people really get that time to bond with each other. I know those eight recruits are certainly working hard to join your family, Ryan!

*Viola Fugate appears*

R: Indeed, yes, and I’d like to introduce you to Chief Fugate here.

She’s a big part of the family at our Firehouse as she basically runs the place. She overwatches all the operations in our firehouse. Ensure everything is running smoothly, and so forth.

V: I do a lot of things, the captain exaggerates, though. He is absolutley invaluable to the deparment.

N: It is an absolutley an honor, chief! Since you are with us, do you mind telling us how you got your start? What drew you to want to become a Firefighter?

V: I’ve always seen myself as a compassionate problem solver. My job offers me the ability to exercise these attributes. I enjoy seeing the sparkle of joy and hope in the eyes of others. The ability of giving people their second or third chances in life has kept me going for over twenty years. I’m proud of my occupation, and thankful for being with the team I currently have.

N: Such a compassionate Fire Chief looking after our proud department! And there you have it, folks! The virtuous men and women of Los Santos Fire Deparment, the city of Los Santos thanks you all your commiment and dedication to duty, and we hope to visit you again soon, on Weazel News!

R: Thank you for taking your time and coming out here, we really appreciate it.

V: Absolutley, always thankful for good publicity.

Sponsored by:

1DnYKPZ.png

Follow Weazel News' official FaceBrowser page by searching Weazel-News or clicking this link.

• 4 weeks later...

name: chief keith baby

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

comment: nigga nobody care i just wanna see my nigga ryan's interview smfh

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • mj2002 locked this topic