Drug Overdoses & Narcan (Naloxone)

Stefan

I feel like there should be drawbacks to OD'ing but you shouldn't just collapse on the spot and be put in a position where if theres no one in a certain faction that is currently rather empty you would die. I feel like seeing slow health decreases and having to eventually have to get medical treatment would be an okay means but as of now with having little to no EMS this would only put players in bad position and aggravate many.

My position as it stands with how FD is this is a terrible idea and would only cause issues maybe when the server is further developed. On another note Force CK'ing is possibly one of the worst ideas that has ever came up in role play.

6 hours ago, Portz said:

Lol. I didn't bother reading anything other then Thread's post and the a few lines of the OP.

Maybe CKing shouldn't be enforced after the first or second time, but I think it should be a consideration at some point. Overdoses definitely have the potential to be lethal. If people are worried about possibly overdosing on drugs, why do them in the first place? It's a very real and possible consequence of drug use and I think that it would make drug roleplay a lot more realistic and risky for those that are doing it. And I don't think you could've just come to a conclusion by reading a few lines but not the actual post explaining the suggestion itself. Drug use is very risky and people need to understand that. 

I disagree with forced CKs in most cases, especially when it is forced by the script rather than IC reasons. Some people might want to roleplay a junkie who is addicted to one or more drugs. They should not be penalised for that with a random chance of losing their character. Let people roleplay their own thing in peace, it should not bother anyone how much character x abuses drugs or not...

Edited by MalteseWolf
1 hour ago, norrig said:

No way, no to ck, no to overdose/addiction.
It's just annoying and just makes people not buy/use drugs, which is always a problem on other servers.

No to addiction? Why not? On other servers that I've played on, certain drugs gave players ridiculous advantages, which was probably the main reason people used the drugs to begin with. Drug addiction is real and it does happen, especially with heroin. I know people that I used to go to school with that overdosed on heroin a few years ago. Unfortunately it happens. I think that if an addiction and overdose system was implemented, it could educate people and enhance addiction roleplay. If your character uses cocaine every day and you don't roleplay them having an addiction, there's a problem. And again, I said that CKs should be CONSIDERED at some point. If for example I roleplayed a character with a drug addiction, I'd probably CK him/her after the second or third overdose. I'm not saying that CKs should be mandatory at this point, but it should be a consideration. If your character overdoses, that's nobody else's fault but theirs.

1 hour ago, MalteseWolf said:

I disagree with forced CKs in most cases, especially when it is forced by the script rather than IC reasons. Some people might want to roleplay a junkie who is addicted to one or more drugs. They should not be penalised for that with a random chance of losing their character. Let people roleplay their own thing in peace, it should not bother anyone how much character x abuses drugs or not...

It doesn't really bother anyone, that's the thing. Taking too many drugs at once/mixing drugs together is deadly and there is a risk of death. I think people are overlooking the realism in a system like this and are focusing more on "what benefits could the drugs give me and which drug should I use?". I think we should stray away from that before it starts happening and bring in some sort of "deterrent" that would discourage people from using drugs just for fun. There's nothing fun about them, marijuana being an exception.

9 minutes ago, Stefan said:

It doesn't really bother anyone, that's the thing. Taking too many drugs at once/mixing drugs together is deadly and there is a risk of death. I think people are overlooking the realism in a system like this and are focusing more on "what benefits could the drugs give me and which drug should I use?". I think we should stray away from that before it starts happening and bring in some sort of "deterrent" that would discourage people from using drugs just for fun. There's nothing fun about them, marijuana being an exception.

I don't think drugs give any potential benefits right now. I don't know for sure because I've never used them on this server, nor would I be particularly interested in trying them for IC reasons.

But you started off this thread with the suggestion to automatically CK people who overdose and cannot get hospitalised within a time limit. That is way too harsh a "deterrent" for people just looking to roleplay as an addict, or someone battling a substance abuse problem. It might be so harsh in fact, that people would then stop buying drugs entirely, and you lose a whole aspect of realistic roleplay such as dope dealers working corners or shady drug deals between criminal factions.

And the fact that there is "nothing fun about drugs" does not picture here at all. There is fun in roleplay, and some people like to roleplay little miss perfect with a doctorate in nano technology and a part time job in nail modelling, while some others like to roleplay more troubled characters with serious issues. Don't punish people for trying out certain roles. The world is an interesting place because there is a lot of variety in it. Let's not try to turn it into a bland IC world full cookie-cutter addiction/vice-free characters.

2 minutes ago, MalteseWolf said:

I don't think drugs give any potential benefits right now. I don't know for sure because I've never used them on this server, nor would I be particularly interested in trying them for IC reasons.

But you started off this thread with the suggestion to automatically CK people who overdose and cannot get hospitalised within a time limit. That is way too harsh a "deterrent" for people just looking to roleplay as an addict, or someone battling a substance abuse problem. It might be so harsh in fact, that people would then stop buying drugs entirely, and you lose a whole aspect of realistic roleplay such as dope dealers working corners or shady drug deals between criminal factions.

And the fact that there is "nothing fun about drugs" does not picture here at all. There is fun in roleplay, and some people like to roleplay little miss perfect with a doctorate in nano technology and a part time job in nail modelling, while some others like to roleplay more troubled characters with serious issues. Don't punish people for trying out certain roles. The world is an interesting place because there is a lot of variety in it. Let's not try to turn it into a bland IC world full cookie-cutter addiction/vice-free characters.

I think this suggestion turned into an argument more than it did a suggestion with other ways to go about implementing it. Substance abuse is a problem, like you said. There are many risks involved with it, whether it be getting arrested, overdosing, having little to no money to pay for the drugs, pawning off stolen items to pay for drugs, etc.. I haven't seen any of the "little miss perfect with a doctorate in nano technology and a part time job in nail modelling", but I'm sorry if you have. Some addictions are worse than others, and some aren't quite that bad. There's nothing cookie-cutter about it, it just adds more realism to drug use in the server. Instead of going back and forth about it, why don't we try to modify the suggestion into the same thing, but something that people can tolerate? I'd rather see more roleplay involving drug overdoses and drug related robberies or burglaries than people using drugs in their homes behind closed doors with no consequences. I'm not saying that people should be caught using drugs or being in possession of them, I'm saying that the roleplay around drug use should be more spontaneous and diverse.

What better way to have an alternative consequence than to have some sort of overdose system in place that penalizes people for using too much of one drug or mixing dangerous drugs (such as heroin and fentanyl) together?

6 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Instead of going back and forth about it, why don't we try to modify the suggestion into the same thing, but something that people can tolerate?

Good idea. How about we start off by not trying to force CKs on people for a bunch of arbitrary reasons like drugs, gun violence, etc? This is roleplay, not some Dark Souls game where death is meant to be excruciatingly annoying and harsh.

A system that makes sense for drugs,  if and when they start giving perks like increased health etc., is deprecating returns. That is, you need to take more and more drugs to get the same amount of "benefits" the more you use them. Then if you reach a certain limit or mix dangerous drugs together, you die and respawn at hospital or maybe you are forced to stay in a hospital bed for x hours while recovering.

But just like you don't get CKed when someone runs you over, you shouldn't get CKed for RPing an addiction - not unless the player wants to roleplay dying from OD.