Alias for /examine

Pan Grama

Short description: Alias for /examine.

Detailed description: Add a short command as an alias for /examine.

Commands to add: /e or /ex.

Items to add: None.

How would your suggestion improve the server?

/examine is underused. We have a great attribute system already in place but it's divided into people who treat it as a part of regular RP and people who don't use it at all. We should increase awareness of this system to new and existing players and make it as easy as possible to use.

Additional information: Just like the /speedlimiter command has recently been given attention, it would be good to create a small guide explaining how /attributes works and encourage people to add them to their character. That along with a simplified /examine will add flavour to characters by minimising /dos and /mes.

What about players setting up their attributes and with a command like the ones you've specified, if the player with the attributes set up types /e, their attributes displays above their head in /ame?

I agree /attributes is under used, i just don't really see how shortening the command will make it more commonly used than it is now.

On 6/17/2019 at 6:31 AM, 1357 said:

What about players setting up their attributes and with a command like the ones you've specified, if the player with the attributes set up types /e, their attributes displays above their head in /ame?

I agree /attributes is under used, i just don't really see how shortening the command will make it more commonly used than it is now.

Me too.

maybe /e will show the description of the closest players around you above the player character, like /ame is works

I don't see how changing /examine to /e would do anything for this to be honest, if people aren't using it now it won't be used in the future. /examine isn't hard to type and unlike /speedlimiter does not require you to be driving a vehicle.

I can support /attributes being shortened but /e could be anything and should not be used.

I believe there should be a system at the beginning of entering the server, just like how you are directed towards the licensing office to get a driver's license. This system should direct a player to set their /attributes and provide a short explanation. Can't always link people to the guide for reference, especially when they are in-game. Expanding awareness is the best solution for people not using it, in my opinion. That or making it a server requirement. PLM could easily enforce this (Yeah it would be tedious, but that's the price for higher quality role play standards).

I feel everyone should have something in their attributes, so we have a clue about your character and how you are portraying them.

Edited by Pollster
4 hours ago, Syrike said:

I don't see how changing /examine to /e would do anything

OK so re-reading my original post, I don't think I explained myself very well.

I find myself using /examine a lot. Both in RP and scripted work, I /examine everyone who approaches me because it can save on having to do the /do dance.

It would just be easier (for me) if I could type /ex {name} if I'm going to be doing it 2 or 3 times in a minute.

I get that this isn't important, but I saw that an alias was added to /speedlimiter for a similar reason, so thought I'd chance it with /examine.

3 hours ago, Pan Grama said:

OK so re-reading my original post, I don't think I explained myself very well.

I find myself using /examine a lot. Both in RP and scripted work, I /examine everyone who approaches me because it can save on having to do the /do dance.

It would just be easier (for me) if I could type /ex {name} if I'm going to be doing it 2 or 3 times in a minute.

I get that this isn't important, but I saw that an alias was added to /speedlimiter for a similar reason, so thought I'd chance it with /examine.

I agree with your point, I simple meant that I thought /examine was short enough already and that /e was far too vague a term to be using as a shortcut when it may be needed for something vital further down the line /ex would good.

• 1 year later...