Hide character name in /b if masked

thutl

I don't see the problem in it. Typing /id mask around someone who is masked displays their ID under the guise of MASK_XX - [ID HERE] anyway and if there were any issues, everyone's ID is subsequently linked to their username. It's not concealing anything that isn't already concealed and it's not going to make it more difficult to find out what their username is if it's truly necessary.

8 minutes ago, Tseard said:

Against in every way I can. A mask is an IC item, not OOC therefore your name should be available for people so they can make reports or make other arrangements. 

It would definitely interfere with consistency and ic should be kept ic as ooc should be kept ooc, but it doesn't interfere or make it any more difficult to make a report on a player who is masked.

Go in game and and /mask yourself, then type /id mask and it will pop up an array of ID's, and you link up the ID with the correct numerical and letters and you've got the correct ID of that player and if you wish to figure out their name then just pm the ID and it will pop up their name. 

• 3 weeks later...

I support this. We can't just pretend that people will separate all OOC information in their head and self regualate themselves. As long as the mask doesn't interfere with admins indentifying the person and there is a way to report masked people easily, this is a great idea. I made my own post about a different idea but this hits the same point as mine. Like it or not we are people after all and we can't fully separate OOC from IC with rules. We need gameplay features and mechanics to support the roleplay. Right now the masks along with the clearly displayed player names ruin every kind of double crossing or usage of aliases or anything. There is really no point in wearing a mask if the other person can still get your OOC name and start forming expectations and presuppositions of you.

We don't live in an ideal world. People will always knowingly or unknowingly use OOC information in their roleplay if it's readily available. So many times I've accidentally recognized people just by getting a glimpse of their player name even though IC I would have no way of recognizing them (different clothes or etc). I try to ignore this but there is no way to stop my own brain from making these connections.

My own suggestion post which I believe, along with this, would help with this subconscious metagaming.

2 hours ago, Taunky said:

/mask is used as an in-character entity. There is no need to block someone's name in /b (which is used out-of-character). Any form of Metagaming via /b can simply be reported, as already stated in previous comments.

4 hours ago, Taunky said:

/mask is used as an in-character entity. There is no need to block someone's name in /b (which is used out-of-character). Any form of Metagaming via /b can simply be reported, as already stated in previous comments.

Finding out about this kind of metagaming is nearly impossible unless the other person does it blatantly, which isn't the case most of the time. Having the name blocked in OOC doesn't affect reporting or other kinds of OOC punishments. Admins will always have full access to the identity behind the mask and players can easily copy the mask ID from chat and report that. It has no downsides and would stop any forms of metagaming that happens through /b.