FPS drops when looking towards the city at night [AMD GPU]

Buster

Hey friends.

So yesterday, I upgraded from an NVIDIA GPU to an AMD GPU (6700XT). I'm getting stable fps during the day with Reality V/NVE/Vanilla/V:DE installed with custom settings and MSAA. But during the night time, my FPS would suddenly drop from a stable 100~ fps to 30-40 fps just by looking towards the city. Figured it's not a mod since I am facing the same issue when playing with a vanilla game. Searching through Google, I found out that this is a common problem for AMD GPUs. I know for a fact that a lot of people here use AMD GPUs, so I guess my question is do you guys experience the same issue? And is there any fix to this at all? Only solution I got is lowering the water quality to NORMAL during the night time, though it only gives about 10 more FPS.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Buster
  • Buster changed the title to FPS drops when looking towards the city at night [AMD GPU]

i'm also facing issues with my RX590 on GTA V generally, although i play more demanding games on high graphics with stable 80-90 fps, i still get 70 on the lowest graphics playing GTA V and often drop to 30-40 during the night time or when it rains, idk if theres anything i should be doing because i tried everything from the AMD settings, turned off instant replay and everything and nothing helps

could be an optimization issue for AMD GPUs on GTA V but i doubt it

Edited by Boody
1 hour ago, Boody said:

i'm also facing issues with my RX590 on GTA V generally, although i play more demanding games on high graphics with stable 80-90 fps, i still get 70 on the lowest graphics playing GTA V and often drop to 30-40 during the night time or when it rains, idk if theres anything i should be doing because i tried everything from the AMD settings, turned off instant replay and everything and nothing helps

could be an optimization issue for AMD GPUs on GTA V but i doubt it

I doubt it too tbh. I've had other people claiming that they do not have the same issue. One of which have the same card as mine, a 6700XT.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 4:38 PM, Buster said:

I doubt it too tbh. I've had other people claiming that they do not have the same issue. One of which have the same card as mine, a 6700XT.

have u tried setting max power limits for gpu in msi afterburner

Hit your windows key, search "Edit Power Plan" exactly how I typed it, when it opens hit "Cancel" then you should be on the screen where it shows your power plan, choose High Performance. (I know what y'all might say, that it's not for this, etc. Trust me, it works.) 

image.png?ex=65acc26a&is=659a4d6a&hm=b5a2cea5b29be5d15907b8a675039be029bcaee2b1fc1c19185a9750ed71b810&

• 4 weeks later...

Completely forgot that I have opened this topic lol

On 1/7/2024 at 3:06 PM, kane? said:

--

Yo. Unfortunately this didn't work for me. :C I'm starting to lose hope and just stop playing at night time in the city LOL

It's an issue with the game, you won't fix it unless either GTA World or RAGEMP devs do something about it. The game is terribly optimized for AMD setups and your hardware will hardly be utilized at all, unless you use something like Vulkan through dxvk and that fixes everything, by translating the shitty DirectX calls to Vulkan. Boom, your hardware properly utilized.

Sadly Vulkan isn't something that is supported by RAGEMP, I personally suggested it but got ignored.

So, I guess... don't use AMD or cope.

Spoiler

image.png?ex=656a6e61&is=6557f961&hm=6d4

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, tokyoresidnT said:

It's an issue with the game, you won't fix it unless either GTA World or RAGEMP devs do something about it. The game is terribly optimized for AMD setups and your hardware will hardly be utilized at all, unless you use something like Vulkan through dxvk and that fixes everything, by translating the shitty DirectX calls to Vulkan. Boom, your hardware properly utilized.

Sadly Vulkan isn't something that is supported by RAGEMP, I personally suggested it but got ignored.

So, I guess... don't use AMD or cope.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png?ex=656a6e61&is=6557f961&hm=6d4

Can confirm this. After months of investigating I've found numerous posts about GTAV's poor optimization for AMD hardware. People with an AMD GPU or CPU can be impacted, not all. I am one of those with my 5900x CPU. I've also come across the Vulkan fix but like quoted, couldn't get it to work.