LS Transit - update to a working environment when inactive

Detailed Description

Hi! So, a small scenario to start with, my character is a 19 yo girl who resides in Paleto Bay, all the way up North. She has no drivers license and only a city bike to transport herself. 

As an unemployed teenager, she can't afford a cab and will have to do it with the public transport. Sadly enough, yesterday she got ditched by her friends and had to take the bus home. There were none on route at 10pm.

What if, the whole LS Transit had a little revamp, such as making the bus stops teleport points where you teleport from bus stop to bus stop. 

Will be abused! I hear you say. Perhaps, unless it had some little interesting tweaks to it, such as a couple of my ideas:

• Only activate the teleport function on a route when there's no buses active on said route.
  • Set fixed hours when there's a bus arriving, for example every half hour.
  • Duration of the teleport will take as long as it will take an actual bus to drive from stop to stop (approximately).
  • A great additional feature if possible: get the character placed in a bus and have a cinematic drive of the route.

Relevant Commands/Items

/viewstop -> select a bus stop to teleport to.

How will it benefit the server?

More use of public transport, if more people will use this feature, more people might apply for driver.

Edited by Naru
  • Upvote 2

Public transportation is always a tough topic. I absolutely loved the subway system in LC and refused to buy a car there, cause it was a perfect alternative. 

Now the problem is on SA, over the course of the years, driving a car is kind of established. There is barely no incentive to not, as you get a cheap lease car right away; car rentals etc etc. Which makes carless chars, concepts like yours (smth that I had similarly too) rather niche in the scope of the wide things. And given that it's niche, we see the public transport system being barely roleplayed, cause the bus drivers have barely people to pick up, if not have tours driving empty at off times. So, while I find the suggestion great, I'm not sure if it is even worth implementing? Maybe interesting to hear, how actively the subway system in LS gets used, as it is sort of a similar-ish approach. Probably a supply - demand issue.

• Upvote 1

It could pretty much work in the same way as the trains do.  Something like "the bus will be here in 5 minutes".   Then when it arrives you can press Y to "get on" and you're moved to bus interior, then every like 30 seconds it reaches the "next stop" where you can press Y to get out.  It's a nice idea but it would probably kill actual REAL buses.

• Developer

Interestingly enough - as the author of transit script, the same idea has popped up multiple times in my head, the data is there (as the buses actually do have timetables that are precice up to seconds).

Talked with the big panda and we'll be looking into it in the future.

36 minutes ago, Paenymion said:

It's a nice idea but it would probably kill actual REAL buses.

If we follow the original suggestion to only enable the teleport function when there are no buses on the specified route, then no it will only help them because people can start relying on public transit and if people use transit, it's more fun for actual drivers also ;)

Edited by GameBurrow
  • Upvote 4