Restrict tasers to ERT members in prison / jail

Essentially restrict tasers to ERT members only in TTCF / Bolingbroke. 

The taser is very OP and no jail deputies are ever going to be carrying them around on shift, it drastically can ruin a rp situation in an enviroment which is already so hard to find roleplay and allows players to show p2w mentality by abusing it. ERT members are trained (emergency response team) members which respond to riots / brawls / etc in a jail / prison, your average guard here in California isn't going to be carrying a taser around, even an ERT member. They store these in an area for emergencies which tasers should be required to take from a storage / locker as well rp'ly. 

• Upvote 1

I'm mostly in support of this idea as regular CO's do not walk around jails with tasers holstered.

However, I do not believe tasers should be restricted to ERT as forming an ERT in-game is something that is likely hard to do because of the amount of CO's online at any given time. Rather than restricting them to ERT only, they should be accessible to all CO's but they should be required to retrieve them from equipment lockers in a duty room ONLY when required.

• Upvote 1

Typically within SD we follow the actual LASD formula, that's that we heavily discourage taser carrying in jail as tasers are treated the same way as if an inmate stole a firearm from you, requiring a SWT response and lethal force to be authorized. However, like LASD, tasers being carried in jail is not overtly restricted by the manual, just heavily scrutinized. People working OT may often carry them, and they're kept like beanbag shotguns in the bubble for use by everyone if required, even if not carrying one. 

I'm 50/50 for this rule. I'd be fine with it either way. 

• Upvote 1

I don't quite feel this is needing of a rule change, however, I believe this is an issue we can solve on the policy side of things. As CYCO has mentioned above, there are already heavy restrictions and stipulations on when tasers can be deployed. Being in a jail setting, this reigns even more truthful. Tasers inside of TTCF are very rarely utilized as it is, but the above suggestions will be taken into account in our decision. I personally believe tasers should only be deployed by Supervisors when other tactics of apprehension has been exhausted. (OC spray, tear gas, unarmed defensive tactics) I shall note that carrying a taser around in the pod is a risk to the security of the unit, as an inmate could possibly get ahold of our equipment and use it on COs. The taser is one piece of equipment you do not want in the wrong hands.

Lastly, I have to mention that a lot of the duty belts we use (undershirts) come with a taser attached, very few do not have a taser on them. 

All in all, I agree with this mostly. I just don't feel any server enforcement or rule change is needed as we can take care of this ourselves.

Edited by blu
Addition
3 minutes ago, blu said:

I don't quite feel this is needing of a rule change, however, I believe this is an issue we can solve on the policy side of things. As CYCO has mentioned above, there are already heavy restrictions and stipulations on when tasers can be deployed. Being in a jail setting, this reigns even more truthful. Tasers inside of TTCF are very rarely utilized as it is, but the above suggestions will be taken into account in our decision. I personally believe tasers should only be deployed by Supervisors when other tactics of apprehension has been exhausted. (OC spray, tear gas, unarmed defensive tactics) I shall note that carrying a taser around in the pod is a risk to the security of the unit, as an inmate could possibly get ahold of our equipment and use it on COs. The taser is one piece of equipment you do not want in the wrong hands.

Lastly, I have to mention that a lot of the duty belts we use (undershirts) come with a taser attached, very few do not have a taser on them. 

All in all, I agree with this mostly. I just don't feel any server enforcement or rule change is needed as we can take care of this ourselves.

I'm in agreement with this. Allow SD to manage it without the need for a server rule in place, sounds like it's already heavily restricted on its usage in prison. 

Don't see the need for this, personally. Don't think they're particularly overpowered, and they are realistic weapons used by IRL police to neutralize escaping or dangerous individuals. Think it's fine as it is, personally, and don't see a glaring need to change it.

• Upvote 1

im not sure what department you're referring to that tasers are these ultra selective tools only brought out in emergencies

if anything OC spray is the least likely to be used, considering you can easily contaminate an entire pod with it but even then it's very unlikely anyone cares

even the most bumblefuck jail deputies are taser certified and have one on them at all times. prison COs may be different

Since we're talking about realism:

LASD custody deputies can wear a taser on their belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vQpVp6ci54 (See the deputy sheriff on the left, at 0:21).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGF2JdRYEX8 (They work custody, and they all have a taser on their belt).

LASD deputies don't need to use other less-lethal options prior to taser use. Our taser policy may even be stricter than it is IRL.

https://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/bos/supdocs/LASDReponsetoTaserRequest4.7.2023.pdf

image.png

-1. Tasers would fall under Level 4 in the Use of Force Continuum which already means if you pulled it, you better have a damn good reason to do so cause you're just one away from Level 5 which constitutes as using Lethal Force. Deploying a taser inside a facility isn't some small matter either and comes with a ton of paperwork and review after said event so if its not already a practice within the faction, I'd recommend if any taser is deployed, the person who deployed it must write up an incident report and a supervisor will review, forwarding it up the necessary chain of command. If you can articulate why you used that level of force in whatever went down? Cool, that's the end of it.

Let's leave this up to SD.