Actual living expenses

Introduction

As we all know the economy in our beloved serves is going to be overhauled pretty soon. That means that we are going to have a chain of supply with all kinds of resources, giving truck drivers a lot of work to deliver these goods from either local manufacturers or from the port as they might be imported as well. Fuel stations, restaurants , bars , construction firms with their many projects. That means that all of those businesses would have scripted depletable resources and therefore demand for more if they want to keep functioning.

But why can, we the humans with the little business that is called our daily lives can’t have a way to make us feel like we matter and are part of that economy? Why can’t we actually consume those scripted items to function in our daily lives and to produce an actual demand for items. Alcoholics and cars sure do got it easy. Even the PD and FD have budgets. Businesses are doing economic survival day to day. Why can’t we the simple folks do that?

I suggest having 2 simple things :

1.    Electric and water bills accordance to the house size(Tiered?)

• This can be entirely simulated and taken off automatically from players paychecks(hour? day? week? month?)
  • This can be accumulated over time and after a X amount of time you get a an actual bill that you need to pay in City Hall. If you don't pay your bills and they exceed a certain amount, the government is notified via script and someone is sent in to investigate, give out notices and finally evict you. You could not sell the property while it has unpaid bills either.

The player base itself could be made to accumulate the actual electrical resources from the oil based electric plant.

2.    Chain of Food. 

• Food could be unit based. That means the food bill is automatically taken from players hourly paycheck and along with that some units of food are taken from every businesses  inventory that deals with food. Of course It can be adjusted that it only counts the players who are online. Including the businesses(Business owner needs to be online and if not the food is taken from the NPC owned restaurant/bar). But every player counts as 10 for the business as it will simulate the invisible NPC's that we often RP around us. Making the demand for re supply bigger. So if over a 3 hours period, around 70 people have the paycheck with the food "bill" extracted from it, it means 700 units of food are consumed from all of the businesses mentioned before. Food bill itself can be something around 5-10$ a hour , it main purpouse would be that the actual players in the server will simulate the economic demand, no extra "RPG" elements. The money would go straight into those businesses bank account/safe who have the food units extracted from their inventory. 
  • Food could be item based that contributes to the actual item based supply of goods. That means there should be an actual food bar on players HUD along with the actual  hunger system with its ups and downs. Something that does not kill with 2 hours when you are not eating. Rather something that makes you weaker with 6 hours and kills you after several days. Giving you forced passouts along the way.

……………………….……………………….……………………….……………………….……………………….……………………….……………………….……………………….

Let it be noted that complicated decisions should not be made under the stress of popular opinion but rather based on factual arguments that can help to advance the overall quality of the specific realm on question. If the people would have say in everything then we’d have a anarchy roaming the streets and we would not be arguing about cyber world matters at all right now.

Edited by Guest
updated the whole thing as the comments show the whole point of this thread was not understood

This is a potentially a good idea that can deter players from getting their fancy cars. Much like the car insurance and road tax did. I think this is good in the long run and will prevent some really crappy situations coming up in the future. But this also might cripple a lot of people's wallets if they're not making as much. But again, this will introduce a real class system into the server, which I think will offer a lot of interesting RP opportunities. 

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, Riayadh said:

This is a potentially a good idea that can deter players from getting their fancy cars. Much like the car insurance and road tax did. I think this is good in the long run and will prevent some really crappy situations coming up in the future. But this also might cripple a lot of people's wallets if they're not making as much. But again, this will introduce a real class system into the server, which I think will offer a lot of interesting RP opportunities. 

Exactly. Why would the cars that are with lower priority in life then houses get to have some what realistic expenses like fuel and road tax(hopefully some health system in the future) and not houses - places where we spend most of our time; eat, wash, shit, piss, sleep, fuck , rise kids, watch TV and do countless of other things. But it also should not be crippling of wallets. Small places would have small bills and large places for rich people who are actually RP'ing a rich person via businesses that generate much income then it would be normal to them. It will prevent people to just RP rich without actually RP'ing it job wise. 

I would only be down with this if we had a business, or a section of the government, supplying these utilities.

If business: it would give more roleplay (i.e. plumbers, electricians) since there would be new utilities, and a chance for said utilities to break or be installed/removed.

If Government: same as above, except the revenue gained from the taxes and charges could go to fund gov factions, business stimulus, and other projects that would realistically be payed with taxes.

So I'm iffy, but it's a good idea.

33 minutes ago, MChavera said:

I would only be down with this if we had a business, or a section of the government, supplying these utilities.

If business: it would give more roleplay (i.e. plumbers, electricians) since there would be new utilities, and a chance for said utilities to break or be installed/removed.

If Government: same as above, except the revenue gained from the taxes and charges could go to fund gov factions, business stimulus, and other projects that would realistically be payed with taxes.

So I'm iffy, but it's a good idea.

We don't have anyone actually fixing the asphalt on roads but still have the road tax. Electric and water bills can be RP'd with same logic as well. But you are right. I would of course prefer that there were actual road workers, electricians and plumbers. Maybe some day we have that and many more.

41 minutes ago, Tr1bal said:

We don't have anyone actually fixing the asphalt on roads but still have the road tax. Electric and water bills can be RP'd with same logic as well. But you are right. I would of course prefer that there were actual road workers, electricians and plumbers. Maybe some day we have that and many more.

True that, it'd be awesome to have a DOT portion of the government.  That way the excuse of having a road tax to limit the amount of high end sports cars would have an IC benefit to it, instead of it being a 'We did it because of x reason, but think of it as y because roleplay.'

The only thing that worries me if more tax would be added is the amount of people grinding / farming / mining, whatever you want to call it. I'm pretty sure every time higher taxes were introduced, retrospectively, the amount of people mining went up, thus decreasing the amount of players actually roleplaying which is quite a concern.

2 minutes ago, Lionhearted said:

The only thing that worries me if more tax would be added is the amount of people grinding / farming / mining, whatever you want to call it. I'm pretty sure every time higher taxes were introduced, retrospectively, the amount of people mining went up, thus decreasing the amount of players actually roleplaying which is quite a concern.

That won't change until theres good paying roleplay jobs.  We just gotta be patient for that, they're working on better jobs.

2 hours ago, MChavera said:

True that, it'd be awesome to have a DOT portion of the government.  That way the excuse of having a road tax to limit the amount of high end sports cars would have an IC benefit to it, instead of it being a 'We did it because of x reason, but think of it as y because roleplay.'

Look, someone took the bull by the horns already :

Now we only need roads and water too. I think there is even LS Water themed vans and such in the game. DOT would be great. Roads, water and electricity are the 3 main components that keeps the basic commune running. I think we should have this. It would make the bills along with the road tax feel like a real thing.

1 hour ago, Lionhearted said:

Grinders always gonna grind. That's a fact. RP'ers reach a certain level of wealth that is needed to have the right assets for the right feel of their character story and they stick with it. At least I did so and hoping many others. The bills should not be something very big but big enough to make owning multiple houses for no reason or to skim some profit from it a challenge. I mean it won't take a piece out of people to make a couple of fishing trips a week to pay the bills.