Rework /dep slightly to avoid confusion/wrong-chats

Soyuz

Detailed Description

The way /dep works right now is that if you type /dep X, the word "X" will be transmitted to all the factions who have access to the departmental radio on a channel called "ALL". This is bad for the following reasons:

When LSFD, for example, is communicating with LSPD through the LSFD -> LSPD channel, but LSPD replies in the ALL channel, every faction can see LSPD's reply, but no one can see what LSFD was saying. This makes it seem like LSPD is having a one-sided conversation when, really, they're just conversing on ALL while LSFD is conversing on direct channels.

Mistypes. I've been an LEO for not that long, but I've already witnessed tons of wrong-chat incidents where people meant to do /r but they did /dep instead. Or instead of /setdep, they do /dep, and then say something like "law" over the entire departmental radio.

MY SUGGESTION IS AS FOLLOWS:

Make it so that writing /dep "X" gives you an error saying, "You must first set which channel you will transmit to!". This makes it so that "ALL" is no longer the default channel. What this does is it avoids mistypes, and it makes sure everyone sets their radio to the right channel before speaking. You can still do /setdep ALL, and it will last, say, 10 minutes, before it gets reset to 0 channel.

The only downside I see is that it makes it harder to type /dep MA-1 when you're in a pursuit and need mutual aid from other agencies. But perhaps it's worth sacrificing that to no longer see conversations like this:

(silence)

[LSPD->ALL]: Police 10101, go for.

[LSPD->ALL]: Negative, unavailable.

[LSPD->ALL]: Copy, sending one to you.

(silence)

And no one knows who he was taking to...

What really happened:

[LSFD->LSPD]: Fire Metro to Police.

[LSPD->ALL]: Police 10101, go for.

[LSFD->LSPD]: Do you have an available marine unit to respond to an X?

[LSPD->ALL]: Negative, unavailable.

[LSFD->LSPD]: Roger. How about an air unit?

[LSPD->ALL]: Copy, sending one to you.

Edited by Soyuz
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1