[LSNN] Interview with Lifeguard Section Chief John Weltmann and Lifeguard Alex Jorgensen

5yHwzO3.png

Y8l4IDT.png

Interview with Lifeguard Section Chief John Weltmann and Lifeguard Alex Jorgensen

BY MICHAEL GOLD

Los Santos, SA - On the 23rd of April, 2021, the LSNN team conducted an interview with Lifeguard Section Chief John Weltmann and Lifeguard Alex Jorgensen. This is the written version of the interview which was held on air, in the LSNN studio.

MXVQGgp.png

Michael Gold with John Weltmann and Alex Jorgensen in LSNN studio

Michael Gold: Good evening people of Los Santos. This is Michael Gold and you are watching LSNN live. Today is very special day as I am pleased to announce that I am not alone in the studio. On my right I have John Wetlmann, Lifeguard Section Chief with the Los Santos county Lifeguard. On my left I have Alex Jorgensen, Lifeguard and Public Information Officer within Los Santos County Fire Department.

John Weltmann: Good evening, Michael! To you and to the people of Los Santos!

Alex Jorgensen: Evening Michael and the citizens of Los Santos.

Michael Gold: So let me start with the Chief first. Can you please tell us when did you join the Lifeguard Division and what motivated you to do so?

John Weltmann: I have been a lifeguard for eleven years now. Originally and very few people know about this, but I wanted to become a firefighter. And I looked at becoming a lifeguard as somethin' temporarily. But once I became a Lifeguard and started seeing all the beauty of the job, it captivated me. You could pretty much say it was a love at first sight for me.

Michael Gold: Love at first sight, what a metaphor Chief. May I ask you how long have you been Chief of Section now?

John Wetlmann: Well, it's been almost half a year now.

Michael Gold: Now Alex, the citizens see fit personnel wearing shorts and sunglasses, drinking juice in a coconut, and think that's what you guys do all day. Can you please tell us what the Lifeguard Division really do backstage? What is the real line of work?

Alex Jorgensen: Well, Lifeguarding is more than just having fun at the beach, we—Well, we all see Vespucci as our home. We're all about community and the people of Vespucci. We won't just patrol the beaches, we'll stop. Talk to the locals, see how their day is. Personally, I always visit the Skatepark during the day. They always love when we visit, I love seeing the smiles on peoples faces when we just stop and chat and y'know, build that connection. It's a completely different side to the Department. But, obviously, we still do a lot of training and such a lot of people don't see.

Michael Gold: Speaking of drills Chief can you please let us more into the division, and give the people more details about your drills? An example or two, just let the people know more about the Lifeguards.

John Weltmann: Our drills are quite different, because as Lifeguards we don't just stand in our watchtowers and see if someone is closing in on a rip current. They are mostly connected with the different aspects we provide as a service to the public. For example tomorrow we have a scheduled drill for our boat operation. Meaning we are goin' to work on developing our response to vessels in distress at sea.

Michael Gold: My next question is directed to Alex, but first let me tell you all a quick story. Few days ago, the LSNN Director and TV broadcaster Dennis Sidwell was saved from drowning by two of the brave Lifeguards. Let me quote him: "I was attending a yacht party and afterwards, I was riding my jetski to relax. All of sudden, there were few big waves and I fell off the jetski under water. Luckily, lifeguard Alex was around and he saved me, together with one of his colleagues. I'd like to use this opportunity to thank him again for what he did. I thanked him back then too, but he just said that it's his job. He seems like a very humble individual." And it happens to be that Alex Jorgensen is one of the Lifeguards who saved Dennis. What can you tell us about this incident Alex? it is one of many you have encountered for sure.

Alex Jorgensen:  Well, long story short. That's just me and my colleague Lifeguard Schultz doing our jobs. What we're trained to do. But, I can't go into too much detail in terms of Mister Sidwell's medical history due to Patient Confidentiality and HIPPA. You know the legalities and such. But, Mister Sidwell's case It's what the Lifeguard's like myself attend everyday. We always put the civilians we rescue first. That night was a busy one as well. But, we did what we could for Mister Sidwell and I'm glad he made a swift recovery.

Michael Gold: Mister Sidwell and many others are still breezing because of your efforts. Chief, many people are watching us now. Children, teenagers and young adults from both genres. Some of them are interested in joining the Lifeguard Division. What is your advice to them, so they can achieve this dream and become a Lifeguard? What can they do in the meantime to qualify them to be one of your big team?

John Weltmann: Well, what I can give them as an advice, at first in order to be a lifeguard you should really want it. The people who are there just for the paycheck or somethin' else don't last long. You have to have the wish to help people and to be really motivated to keep developing yourself. You know, you already mentioned drills, we do them because we realize that we should be at our best all the time, that means constantly improving. We, as lifeguards, care a lot about our bond with the community so if a person, be it a grown one or a kid, can always walk up to a lifeguard on the beach and they'll be happy to share their experiences. I see that Alex wants to add something too.

Michael Gold: Would you like to add something about this matter, Alex?

Alex Jorgensen: If I might add onto what John says, I've said it in a Press Release before- Whether you wanna be a Lifeguard, Firefighter—Whatever career. Don't let doubt take over you, you don't know how it'll go until you try. Journey into the unknown, push yourself a little more. Certainly don't underestimate your abilities.

Michael Gold: Wise words to be considered by the people watching us. Let me ask Alex. All the departments and division within the County of Los Santos, have a ranking system. What is the ranking within the Division of Lifeguards?

Alex Jorgensen: Well—Everyone joining the Lifeguards, like myself will start as our Trainee Lifeguards, lean the ropes. Eventually to be promoted to Lifeguard. Make no mistake though Trainee or not, we're all colleagues, we aren't above one another. Then, you have Lifeguard Captains, basically your supervisory. Then you have the likes of John, opposite me as Lifeguard Section Chief. What is a Section Chief? Essentially our beaches are split into Zones and each Chief will command or, better word, oversee operations in that part of the beach. Then, you have Lifeguard Chief. As you met Chief Iglesias. She oversees the entire operation of the Lifeguard team. But, ranking aside. We're all family in the Lifeguards. We look out for each other It goes for the entire Fire Department as an entity, we're all colleagues, we're all family members.

Michael Gold: So to summarize it, Trainee Lifeguard, then Lifeguard, Lifeguard Captain, Section Chief, then the head is the Chief of Lifeguards, Chief Iglesias.

Alex Jorgensen: Basically, yeah. You do also have Volunteer Lifeguards like you met Lifeguard or Firefighter Morel who gives his time to the Division alongside his Firefighting duties.

Michael Gold: As their line of work include people's safety, the quality and accuracy are not debatable. Every second matters. They can't be late. They can't hesitate. They can't make a mistake. They can't stop until the mission is accomplished. Error is not in their dictionary. At the end, I would like to thank John Weltmann Section Chief Lifeguard, thank you John.

John Weltmann: Thank you for having us! It's an honor.

Michael Gold: And as well Alex Jorgensen, Lifeguard and Public Information officer.

Alex Jorgensen: Real honor Michael.

Michael Gold: this concludes our show for the night. We would like to say that John and Alex are two of many Lifeguards out there, so please refer to our article about lifeguards online. There are various interviews with different Lifeguards heroes, published online. People of Los Santos this is Michael Gold, and this was the LSNN live. Never forget. It is your right to know. Thank you, and stay safe!

Y8l4IDT.png

4cqYuAw.jpg

Edited by Excellence
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
  • Excellence changed the title to [LSNN] Interview with Lifeguard Section Chief John Weltmann and Lifeguard Alex Jorgensen