Facebrowser Find-A-Frienemy

stompkins

Since I've noticed it as a new player, as well as other topics and the discord mentioning it as well.. The server can feel like a large void at times and can even intimidate new players away. There's few ideas that come to mind to fix this, one is restricting the server to certain areas. An idea to think about, but I believe a less intrusive system that may solve this issue is implementing an OOC script, that is an IC App for everyone's phones. Essentially, it takes the idea of the Find a Friend app from the newest Iphones and injects it into the game. 

With this idea, there are some noticeable Pros/Cons:

The biggest pro, is the ability to find others looking for a new connection/etc. While the biggest con is some may view this as a way to metagame but I don't believe it has to be. The game already operates with map markers for players in the GTAO version, assuming that functionality is still there. It could be a simple /faf into the chatbox that starts a /do similar to when texting. Activating for a certain amount of time a blip for the player using the command, perhaps having a cool-down afterwards. These blips do not need to have any information about who activated it either if we so desire.

I've suggested this before in other communities and haven't had any success with the idea being approved. I'll leave this idea to the community to banter over.

• Upvote 1

I was actually considering suggesting something similar in the form of a "looking for rp" command that turns on a blip on the map showing other players your current location. This ties it in to an IC "app" which I like the sound of.

Ideally it should be possible to toggle this off so you do not see a bunch of map blips if you don't want to. Even better if it is opt-in rather than opt-out so off by default but you can turn them on. Maybe mention it in /help. 

I like it, +1

Edited by MalteseWolf
  • Upvote 1

As long as it's handled with IC reasoning, I'm cool with some form of meet-up app as long as it's opt in opt out.

EDIT: What about something like /bad or /bcad that costs an extra hundred or something and drops a blip on you? We could recycle some code from another script that I'm aware of to make sure it also works if you're in an interior and slaps it where the door is.

Edited by Wisci
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Serower said:

Honestly don't like it.  The ideal way to go about this is by utilizing the set server hot-spots or calling players to a gathering via Facebrowser.

I crash if I attempt to alt-tab to my browser while in game. That's not entirely viable, and being a member for a week in the community I have yet to find a hot spot that's used for RP. As I'm sure many more newbies have had issues as well. May I ask why this idea doesn't work for you? I respect the opinion, I just wish to understand the reasoning behind it.

35 minutes ago, stompkins said:

I crash if I attempt to alt-tab to my browser while in game. That's not entirely viable, and being a member for a week in the community I have yet to find a hot spot that's used for RP. As I'm sure many more newbies have had issues as well. May I ask why this idea doesn't work for you? I respect the opinion, I just wish to understand the reasoning behind it.

The reasoning behind it is because it'll be hard with many people posting advertisements to meet other people they don't even know about.  The interactions won't be so clear, and it'll just be IMVU 2.0 all over again lmao

No but seriously, organize events seriously and realistically.  You don't have to alt tab to meet people, just set up a time and an event with a few online friends from Facebrowser and just meet them. I find it an easier alternative that doesn't require any scripting.

As for the hotspots, there's a list of RP hotspots like Mirror Park in the city and Sandy Shores out in the county for those that struggle with roleplay.

As much as I wouldn't mind it, I still think there's a more realistic alternative.  It'd just be stupid to have an app that goes out giving a notification like "Oh, your friend wants to meet other people.  Go visit him, he's at Strawberry." Just my two cents, honestly.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Until we get to a point when we have a decent playerbase, and you can easily find people around, we should be implement something like this, till then, at least.
Because right now, especially in the noon hours of the server, it's very rare to come across players and this would prove helpful.

• Upvote 1