Replace Invalid Textures on Existing Clothing

Gregster

Short description:  A suggestion to overwrite the invalid textures on clothing items for the multiplayer mode character most people use with new textures through the modding capabilities that exist as part of RAGE-MP.

Detailed description: I'm sure most people have noticed that the majority of clothing items available at clothing stores in-game feature variations on textures that are nothing but black-and-white checkerboard placeholders. While this has been a thing for a long time now, something that was particularly noticeable that led me to write up this thread was one item I came across: a basketball jersey that had not a single valid texture out of maybe 19 options available for it. It got me to thinking that (if possible) we could look to replace these empty textures with some new textures and make a lot of clothing options viable once more (in particular, items that don't have even a single valid option at present).

Commands to add: N/A

Items to add: A number of texture files to existing clothing meshes on the server.

How would your suggestion improve the server? Simply put, it would open up more customization options for clothing that has the texture ID slots to accommodate replacement textures for existing textures that don't work properly/don't exist in the GTA game files. 

Additional information:

I've dug around the GTA Online file folders myself recently have found that most of the textures for the multiplayer model clothing in the game were only 512x512 resolution at most, which put the texture files at under 200kb on average in the DXT file format they exist as. As such, adding in appropriate replacement textures that are around the same size wouldn't leave as much of a dent on the server's downloaded game files as I had previously thought. As it's only textures and not 3D models it has a much smaller footprint than full on third party clothing mods. In consideration of the actual textures, I would be in favor of clothing that blends in with the GTA universe, avoiding real life brands and names (as we do with custom vehicles on the server currently).

• mj2002 locked this topic