Los Santos Insider | Rev Up and Roll Out: Cannonball Car Meet Hits the Streets!

Pj7ndyD.png
ifas9EM.png

5T7861p.png

Rev Up and Roll Out: Cannonball Car Meet Hits the Streets!

Written by Hank Miller, March 2024

On a busy Wednesday night in Los Santos, the Cannonball Raceway opened up for folks to bring their cars, connect with others, and have some races. I went down to check out why people come to these events and what they mean for the local community.

As soon as I stepped into the raceway, I was hit with the smells, sounds, and visuals – bright colors, exhaust fumes, and tires screeching on the pavement. It was pretty exciting. What got me even more pumped was the obvious enthusiasm of the people there. They really love their cars. Talking to some attendees, it's clear their vehicles are more than just metal – they have deep sentimental value. Lisa, for example, shared how her Impaler has been a part of her family's history. ‘This Impaler was bought by ma' gran'father in the late sixties. Eventually, ma' father inherited the car n' now ah' own it. The car itself is history, and so is the family. We take care of it n' respect it.’  For some, it's about expressing who they are. Aimee, owner of Rex’s Diner, told me about the importance of her car's appearance. ‘Taking pride in anything...from clothing to cars is an expression of who you are.’

Others at the meet echoed this sentiment. Talking to a couple of regulars, they explained how it's both personal expression and the community aspect that they enjoy. ‘They can express their love for artistic styling, and putting money into a car is a status thing for them. To go with the trends of car culture and show their interests in and through cars.’

RLWariK.png

(Pictured: A selection of cars from the meet)

The overall vibe I got from the meet was that people really care about their cars, but it's also about community – a sense of belonging, making connections, friendships, and even rivalries. Unfortunately, this sentiment doesn't seem to be shared by Vanessa Koehler, President of the Coalition Motorsport of San Andreas. When asked why she hosts these events, she kept it short. ‘We do car meets regularly, and we encourage people to race on track as well. This is purely business.’ Surprisingly, when asked if Koehler is passionate about cars, she responded with this short excerpt ‘I have one car, a Schlagen.’ I will leave the readers to make their own minds up about those quotes.  However the one word I would use to describe our conversation would be 'cold'.

This disconcerting dichotomy between community leaders and participants left an indelible impression. As I reflect on this, it is impossible to ignore the commendable spirit exhibited by the diverse array of individuals in attendance. From all walks of life, they converged, creating a nexus of connection, friendship, and rivalry. Their warmth, openness, and unwavering enthusiasm for showcasing their vehicles served as a beacon amidst the dissonance. Undoubtedly, I find myself irresistibly drawn to the allure of this passionate community, and will be sure to visit future events that promise to be nothing short of exhilarating.

40MMxdi.png

(Pictured: A classic muscle car from the meet)

EFKRk45.png

3eFjN46.jpg

Gxg72Wo.gif

Comments Are: Enabled

Name:

Comment:

• Upvote 7